Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson are now signed and officially meeting on July 30 in Strikeforce, the only problem is no one is quite sure what weight the fight will take place at.
On Saturday, Strikeforce official Scott Coker announced the fight taking place in Chicago as a catchweight bout, agreed to by both fighters.
“That fight will be at a catchweight of 220 maximum,” Coker stated. “That’s the weight everyone agreed on.”
Everyone may not include Dan Henderson apparently.
Hours after the announcement was made, Henderson took to Twitter and stated that his bout agreement said nothing about a catchweight fight.
“The one we have doesn’t say that,” Henderson wrote regarding the bout agreement supposedly stating the fight was a catchweight bout. “Furthermore it was never discussed. What is the point?”
MMAWeekly.com also spoke to further sources from within Henderson’s camp stating that not only was a catchweight clause not placed in the bout agreement, but that it was never discussed with the fighter prior to signing off on the bout.
What weight the fight would take place at was rumored as one of the sticking points in the negotiations when they first started, and even now that the fight has been signed, there still seems to be some confusion.
It’s likely that Henderson would come in under 220lbs just due to the fact that he has spent the majority of his career fighting between 185 and 205lbs, but for now it appears he hasn’t agreed to a catchweight fight with Emelianenko at all.
The fight is still going ahead as planned, but right now questions still remain regarding if there is a catchweight or not.
Newly signed Bellator fighter Valerie Letourneau announced her first fight with the promotion on Monday and laid our her timeline for retirement. read news >>
The last week of April 2017 marked a loud yet symbolic shift in the future of sports on television. ESPN, the longtime self-proclaimed “Worldwide Leader in Sports,” released some of its best-known an read news >>
Now former WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje late Wednesday night said his next move is a done deal.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>
A catchweight bout between Kevin Ferguson Jr. and D.J. Griffin has been announced as a late addition to this month’s Bellator 179 lineup.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
Bellator announced on Friday that a new Catchweight bout featuring Kevin ‘Baby Slice’ Ferguson Jr. has been added to Bellator 179. read news >>
Conor McGregor and long-time girlfriend Dee Delvin welcomed a son into the world on Friday evening. Conor Jack McGregor was born at 8 p.m. local time in Dublin. read news >>
At this Saturday’s blockbuster UFC 211 event, heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic and Junior Dos Santos will face off for a second time. Their first meeting remains a hotly contested debate.Filed under read news >>
Former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva is officially off the UFC 212 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC officials removed Anderson Silva from the UFC 212 fight card on Thursday, offering refunds to jilted fans. read news >>
Anderson Silva is officially off the UFC 212 fight card. UFC officials announced Silva would be taken off the card Thursday, per MMA Junkie, days after the Brazilian legend announced it himself. "I r read news >>