#UFC 216 #Rizin 7 #Conor McGregor #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Quinton Jackson

Anderson Silva at UFC 117Chris Weidman entered the HP Pavillion on Wednesday night with one goal in mind: to prove that he’s ahead of the rest of the pack.

At 8-0, the 28-year-old was sent into the lion’s den of the UFC’s middleweight division when he met Mark Munoz, but left unscathed.

Weidman outclassed Munoz on the ground in the first by securing an early takedown and pounding away from side control.  In the second round, Munoz was able to handle Weidman’s wrestling better and scrambled to his feet, but once on his feet Weidman landed a hard counter right elbow and finished Munoz with a flurry of right hands on the ground.

“I did believe I could come in here and dominate the fight,” Weidman said at the UFC on Fuel TV 4 post-fight press conference.

“A lot of people were asking me before the fight if I deserved the title, and I said, ‘I didn’t want to be one of those guys just calling out Anderson Silva.’ I mean, there’s six of those guys doing it right now and now I’m that guy too.  I said I want to make a statement in this fight and I want to make it blatantly obvious that I’m ahead of the pack.”

Many fans and pundits were picking Munoz over Weidman and thought that Munoz’s punching power was going to be the difference between the two standout wrestlers.  But after Weidman scored a second-round TKO over Munoz, the MMA world was stunned.

Even UFC president Dana White couldn’t believe his eyes after Weidman walked away from the Octagon with such a dominant performance.

“I’m as blown away as anybody,” White said on Fuel TV’s post-fight show.  “He looked incredible tonight.  Literally dominated Mark Munoz through the entire fight.”

The confidence of Weidman is sky high right now and at just 9-0, he enters the UFC middleweight title picture.

He knows that Anderson Silva is the most dominant UFC champion for a reason.  But come his crack at the title, the Team Serra-Longo protégé believes that he could follow Chael Sonnen’s blueprint, but then do what Sonnen couldn’t, and finish Silva via submission.

“I don’t want to be that guy who says it’ll be an easy fight after watching Chael do what he does because Anderson Silva’s been through 15 guys. All those 15 guys tried to take him down, hold him down, and try to submit him.

“Chael Sonnen is that good where he was able to get him down every single fight and hold him down and be good in that position.  So I’ll follow that blueprint.  I got the length with Anderson Silva too, so he’s not going to be able to play outside too much on me.  As soon as he comes in my takedowns are pretty good, I’ll get him down and I really do believe can submit him and finish him.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 8 months ago

Chris Weidman Fights

• a year ago

Comments

3 reasons Edmond Tarverdyan pushing for Ronda Rousey to fight Cris Cyborg is troubling

Ronda Rousey’s coach believes it’s 50-50 she fights again, but his preferred opponent forces us to wonder what his true motives might be.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Watch Goiti Yamauchi Submit Adam Piccolotti (Bellator 183 Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full fight video of Goiti Yamauchi's first-round submission win over previously unbeaten Adam Piccolotti at Bellator 183 on Saturday. read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum Face Off in China (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum have hit the promotional trail in China. read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>