Anderson Silva at UFC 117Chris Weidman entered the HP Pavillion on Wednesday night with one goal in mind: to prove that he’s ahead of the rest of the pack.

At 8-0, the 28-year-old was sent into the lion’s den of the UFC’s middleweight division when he met Mark Munoz, but left unscathed.

Weidman outclassed Munoz on the ground in the first by securing an early takedown and pounding away from side control.  In the second round, Munoz was able to handle Weidman’s wrestling better and scrambled to his feet, but once on his feet Weidman landed a hard counter right elbow and finished Munoz with a flurry of right hands on the ground.

“I did believe I could come in here and dominate the fight,” Weidman said at the UFC on Fuel TV 4 post-fight press conference.

“A lot of people were asking me before the fight if I deserved the title, and I said, ‘I didn’t want to be one of those guys just calling out Anderson Silva.’ I mean, there’s six of those guys doing it right now and now I’m that guy too.  I said I want to make a statement in this fight and I want to make it blatantly obvious that I’m ahead of the pack.”

Many fans and pundits were picking Munoz over Weidman and thought that Munoz’s punching power was going to be the difference between the two standout wrestlers.  But after Weidman scored a second-round TKO over Munoz, the MMA world was stunned.

Even UFC president Dana White couldn’t believe his eyes after Weidman walked away from the Octagon with such a dominant performance.

“I’m as blown away as anybody,” White said on Fuel TV’s post-fight show.  “He looked incredible tonight.  Literally dominated Mark Munoz through the entire fight.”

The confidence of Weidman is sky high right now and at just 9-0, he enters the UFC middleweight title picture.

He knows that Anderson Silva is the most dominant UFC champion for a reason.  But come his crack at the title, the Team Serra-Longo protégé believes that he could follow Chael Sonnen’s blueprint, but then do what Sonnen couldn’t, and finish Silva via submission.

“I don’t want to be that guy who says it’ll be an easy fight after watching Chael do what he does because Anderson Silva’s been through 15 guys. All those 15 guys tried to take him down, hold him down, and try to submit him.

“Chael Sonnen is that good where he was able to get him down every single fight and hold him down and be good in that position.  So I’ll follow that blueprint.  I got the length with Anderson Silva too, so he’s not going to be able to play outside too much on me.  As soon as he comes in my takedowns are pretty good, I’ll get him down and I really do believe can submit him and finish him.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

Anderson Silva wants fights with UFC champs McGregor and Bisping – but won't fight Brit in England

RIO DE JANEIRO – Former UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva has a fight scheduled with Derek Brunson, but he’s already got his sights on a couple of different opponents.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

Anderson Silva Would Like Michael Bisping Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Anderson Silva is slated to return opposite Derek Brunson at UFC 208, but he'd really like to get another fight with Michael Bisping. read news >>

Ex-UFC-champ Anderson Silva talks dreams of action movie stardom, Netflix show, Hollywood auditions

RIO DE JANEIRO – After breaking records and establishing himself as one of the biggest MMA fighters of all time, Anderson is actively pursuing other types of stardom.Filed under: Featured Videos, New read news >>

Anderson Silva Could Be Bisping's Next Opponent, Much to Jacare Souza's Chagrin | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Buda Mendes/Zuffa LLC The question of loyalty in a sport like mixed martial arts can be a delicate one. On the one hand no fighter comes up in a vacuum. Without teammates to train with, no f read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Submits Juliana Pena (UFC Denver Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Valentina Shevchenko submit Julianna Pena by armbar at UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena in Denver. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Korean Zombie Pulls Off First Twister in UFC History (UFC Houston Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the "Korean Zombie," Chang Sung Jung, submit Leonard Garcia at UFC Fight Night Seattle in 2011 with the first ever Twister in UFC history. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>