#UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120 #Michael Bisping #Fight One #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Bellator 188 #Cody Garbrandt

LAS VEGAS – Joanna Jedrzejczyk looked Rose Namajunas dead in the eyes and told her straight up, “I’m going to f*ck you up,” before kissing her own fist and extending it toward Namajunas’ face.

Take it as a sign this is exactly where the UFC strawweight champion wants to be.

Jedrzejczyk (14-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) will defend her title against Namajunas (6-3 MMA, 4-2) at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden in New York as she aims to make a little bit of history. And she told UFC President Dana White after her last title defense, a unanimous decision over Jessica Andrade, that the Big Apple is where she wanted to make it.

“I’m very happy that Dana agreed with me, and here we go,” Jedrzejczyk said during a press conference Friday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. “I want to tie Ronda Rousey’s record of six title defenses (for a woman) and become the first female fighter with seven title fights. It’s a big deal.”

It also seems to have snuck up on Jedrzejczyk.

She became the second-ever strawweight champion in March 2015 with a dominant TKO of Carla Esparaza and has been unstoppable ever since. Now 30 and more than two years into her title reign, Jedrzejczyk is a bit more particular about when she fights, something she’s earned given how dominant she’s been.

“I like to plan my life. I like to plan my fighting career,” she said. “I’m not that young anymore. I used to fight every month. When I was competing in muay Thai, I used to do tournament after tournament. So, two, three fights in a year is really enough. …

“I beat all the challengers from top to bottom. Now it’s going to be my ninth fight in the UFC, and the time went so fast. I just work hard, and hard work pays off. That’s why I’m here, why I will fight at Madison Square Garden. We know that I can put on a show. It’s all about trust. I always prepare good. I put on good fights, and they can always count on me.”

And how does Jedrzejczyk feel about the woman standing in front of her?

“She’s very talented, she’s still young, but she’s getting closer and closer to this belt,” Jedrzejczyk said. “… Now it’s time for Rose.

“She’s very sneaky, very tricky,” she added. “We all know that her jiu-jitsu is on point.”

Namajunas, coming off a dominant submission win over Michelle Waterson in April, is flattered by nice words from the champion. But she’s coming in with a chip on her shoulder.

“I’m here to show everybody my skills and show everybody that I’m ready,” Namajunas said. “Everybody thinks that maybe I’m not all the way there mentally or whatever, like I got all the talent in the world but, ‘Oh, she’s this and that.’

“I’m just here to prove to everybody that I’m getting stronger every day with every experience. I’m becoming more poised, and my desire to win is growing more and more.”

Enough to dethrone the woman known as “Joanna Champion?” That remains to be seen.

For more on UFC 217, visit the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Rose Namajunas Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Paulo Costa Batters Johny Hendricks to Remain Undefeated (UFC 217 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Paulo Costa wants to be the next Brazilian legend in mixed martial arts and the unbeaten middleweight added to his legacy on Saturday by finishing former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks on the read news >>

UFC 217 results: Rose Namajunas stuns heavy favorite Joanna Jedrzejczyk to win strawweight title

There’s a new strawweight queen of the heap, and she was the biggest underdog on Saturday’s card. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Rose Namajunas Shocks the World, Takes Out Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Rose Namajunas shocked the world at UFC 217 on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden, utterly destroying previously unbeated strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. The recipient of Jedrzejczyk's read news >>

Twitter reacts to Rose Namajunas' title-winning KO of Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 217

See the top Twitter reacts to Rose Namajunas’ stunning victory over Joanna Jedrzejczyk.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rose Namajunas over Joanna Jedrzejczyk by KO? Odds against it were astounding

Rose Namajunas beating Joanna Jedrzejczyk was a shock in itself, but how she won the title is what’s really surprising.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Rose Namajunas Shocks Strawweight Champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 217

UFC 217 was supposed to see Joanna Jedrzejczyk crowned as the greatest female fighter in UFC history. But, as often happens, a wrench was thrown into those carefully laid plans. The wrench in this ca read news >>

UFC 217 bonuses: Title winners Namajunas, Dillashaw, St-Pierre get extra $50,000

Rose Namajunas, T.J. Dillashaw and Georges St-Pierre each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday’s UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rose Namajunas Pulled off 'The Impossible' by Taking out Unbeatable Joanna Champ

A few minutes after stunning Joanna Jedrzejczyk to win the UFC strawweight title, Rose Namajunas still couldn't quite believe what she’d done. "It feels like a movie right now," Namajunas told color read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk after UFC 217 title loss: 'Don't compare me to Ronda Rousey'

Joanna Jedrzejczyk wanted Ronda Rousey’s record but now is dismissing parallel’s to her career after losing her title at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rose Namajunas Flattened Joanna Jedrzejczyk (UFC 217 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC on FOX) Rose Namajunas stuns Joanna Jedrzejczyk to become the new UFC women's strawweight division champion. Check out the highlights from the first-round finish. The fight promotion read news >>