#UFC 220 #Stipe Miocic #Francis Ngannou #Bellator MMA #Daniel Cormier #Volkan Oezdemir #Rory MacDonald #Douglas Lima #Chael Sonnen #Quinton Jackson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Conor McGregor #Cyborg vs. Holm

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk right where she wants to be defending title vs. Rose Namajunas at MSG

LAS VEGAS – Joanna Jedrzejczyk looked Rose Namajunas dead in the eyes and told her straight up, “I’m going to f*ck you up,” before kissing her own fist and extending it toward Namajunas’ face.

Take it as a sign this is exactly where the UFC strawweight champion wants to be.

Jedrzejczyk (14-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) will defend her title against Namajunas (6-3 MMA, 4-2) at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden in New York as she aims to make a little bit of history. And she told UFC President Dana White after her last title defense, a unanimous decision over Jessica Andrade, that the Big Apple is where she wanted to make it.

“I’m very happy that Dana agreed with me, and here we go,” Jedrzejczyk said during a press conference Friday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. “I want to tie Ronda Rousey’s record of six title defenses (for a woman) and become the first female fighter with seven title fights. It’s a big deal.”

It also seems to have snuck up on Jedrzejczyk.

She became the second-ever strawweight champion in March 2015 with a dominant TKO of Carla Esparaza and has been unstoppable ever since. Now 30 and more than two years into her title reign, Jedrzejczyk is a bit more particular about when she fights, something she’s earned given how dominant she’s been.

“I like to plan my life. I like to plan my fighting career,” she said. “I’m not that young anymore. I used to fight every month. When I was competing in muay Thai, I used to do tournament after tournament. So, two, three fights in a year is really enough. …

“I beat all the challengers from top to bottom. Now it’s going to be my ninth fight in the UFC, and the time went so fast. I just work hard, and hard work pays off. That’s why I’m here, why I will fight at Madison Square Garden. We know that I can put on a show. It’s all about trust. I always prepare good. I put on good fights, and they can always count on me.”

And how does Jedrzejczyk feel about the woman standing in front of her?

“She’s very talented, she’s still young, but she’s getting closer and closer to this belt,” Jedrzejczyk said. “… Now it’s time for Rose.

“She’s very sneaky, very tricky,” she added. “We all know that her jiu-jitsu is on point.”

Namajunas, coming off a dominant submission win over Michelle Waterson in April, is flattered by nice words from the champion. But she’s coming in with a chip on her shoulder.

“I’m here to show everybody my skills and show everybody that I’m ready,” Namajunas said. “Everybody thinks that maybe I’m not all the way there mentally or whatever, like I got all the talent in the world but, ‘Oh, she’s this and that.’

“I’m just here to prove to everybody that I’m getting stronger every day with every experience. I’m becoming more poised, and my desire to win is growing more and more.”

Enough to dethrone the woman known as “Joanna Champion?” That remains to be seen.

For more on UFC 217, visit the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Rose Namajunas Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dan Hooker can't be picky if he wants on UFC 221: 'It's kind of first in, first served'

New Zealand’s Dan Hooker wants to fight at UFC 221 in Australia. Want to be his dance partner? Just make sure the matchmakers know.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Yancy Medeiros cool with brawls but wants to be longterm investment for UFC

UFC welterweight Yancy Medeiros is ready to brawl every time he walks into the octagon but would prefer not to.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sarah Kaufman predicts 18 months to be 'back in UFC and in title contention'

Sarah Kaufman hasn’t had the best run since the end of her UFC contract, but she’s hoping Invicta FC 27’s headliner will change that.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Says He Would Fight Conor McGregor for Free

UFC star Khabib Nurmagomedov said he wants to fight lightweight champion Conor McGregor and would be willing to do so for free. Nurmagomedov spoke to TMZ Sports and was asked what figure it would tak read news >>

Dooho Choi wants UFC title shot before upcoming mandatory military service

Dooho Choi’s UFC career will have to be put on hold not too long from now, but he’s got one goal to achieve in the meantime.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie '2017 Upset of the Year': Thug Rose! Thug Rose! Thug Rose!

“Thug” Rose Namajunas rose above taunts and distractions to dethrone UFC women’s strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk in the MMAjunkie “2017 Upset of the Year.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Exec Believes Nick Diaz Wants to Fight, but He Remains Under USADA Suspension | MMAWeekly.com

Nick Diaz is well clear of any substance-related UFC Anti-Doping Policy violations, but remains under a USADA issued suspension. read news >>

Injury-free Bellator champ Douglas Lima wants to prove place at top, knock out Rory MacDonald

If Rory MacDonald truly believes he’s “one step ahead of the division,” Douglas Lima is ready to make him rethink that at Bellator 192.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Rory MacDonald: 'Bellator is Going To Expect Me To Be a Two-Division Champion' | MMAWeekly.com

Rory MacDonald fights for the Bellator MMA welterweight title against champion Douglas Lima at Bellator 192 on Jan. 20. read news >>

2017 Upset of the Year: Rose Namajunas' TKO of Joanna Jedrzejczyk | MMAWeekly.com

There were an abundance of upset wins in 2017. Unlikely champions emerged and dominant titleholders fell, but one win stood above all the rest. read news >>