#Brad Katona #Kyler Phillips #Daniel Cormier #Stipe Miocic #UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Joe Giannetti #John Gunther #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Tony Ferguson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC Brooklyn #Nate Diaz

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk right where she wants to be defending title vs. Rose Namajunas at MSG

LAS VEGAS – Joanna Jedrzejczyk looked Rose Namajunas dead in the eyes and told her straight up, “I’m going to f*ck you up,” before kissing her own fist and extending it toward Namajunas’ face.

Take it as a sign this is exactly where the UFC strawweight champion wants to be.

Jedrzejczyk (14-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) will defend her title against Namajunas (6-3 MMA, 4-2) at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden in New York as she aims to make a little bit of history. And she told UFC President Dana White after her last title defense, a unanimous decision over Jessica Andrade, that the Big Apple is where she wanted to make it.

“I’m very happy that Dana agreed with me, and here we go,” Jedrzejczyk said during a press conference Friday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. “I want to tie Ronda Rousey’s record of six title defenses (for a woman) and become the first female fighter with seven title fights. It’s a big deal.”

It also seems to have snuck up on Jedrzejczyk.

She became the second-ever strawweight champion in March 2015 with a dominant TKO of Carla Esparaza and has been unstoppable ever since. Now 30 and more than two years into her title reign, Jedrzejczyk is a bit more particular about when she fights, something she’s earned given how dominant she’s been.

“I like to plan my life. I like to plan my fighting career,” she said. “I’m not that young anymore. I used to fight every month. When I was competing in muay Thai, I used to do tournament after tournament. So, two, three fights in a year is really enough. …

“I beat all the challengers from top to bottom. Now it’s going to be my ninth fight in the UFC, and the time went so fast. I just work hard, and hard work pays off. That’s why I’m here, why I will fight at Madison Square Garden. We know that I can put on a show. It’s all about trust. I always prepare good. I put on good fights, and they can always count on me.”

And how does Jedrzejczyk feel about the woman standing in front of her?

“She’s very talented, she’s still young, but she’s getting closer and closer to this belt,” Jedrzejczyk said. “… Now it’s time for Rose.

“She’s very sneaky, very tricky,” she added. “We all know that her jiu-jitsu is on point.”

Namajunas, coming off a dominant submission win over Michelle Waterson in April, is flattered by nice words from the champion. But she’s coming in with a chip on her shoulder.

“I’m here to show everybody my skills and show everybody that I’m ready,” Namajunas said. “Everybody thinks that maybe I’m not all the way there mentally or whatever, like I got all the talent in the world but, ‘Oh, she’s this and that.’

“I’m just here to prove to everybody that I’m getting stronger every day with every experience. I’m becoming more poised, and my desire to win is growing more and more.”

Enough to dethrone the woman known as “Joanna Champion?” That remains to be seen.

For more on UFC 217, visit the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Rose Namajunas Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Khabib Nurmagomedov Believes Conor McGregor is Inevitable, but Wants to Fight Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov realizes Conor McGregor is more likely to be in his near future, but he would rather fight Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

UFC 223's Max Holloway wants to be 2-division champ – because he'll actually defend both

Max Holloway plans to defend the UFC lightweight and featherweight belts if he wins at UFC 223. Something the first “champ champ” didn’t do. read news >>

Ronda Rousey: 'I don't need anyone else's approval to be proud of myself'

Former UFC champ Ronda Rousey reveals the time where she was looking for an “honorable way out” of her UFC career, and why she’s still proud of her accomplishments. read news >>

UFC 223's Zabit Magomedsharipov: It's up to UFC to decide when I become champion

UFC 223’s Zabit Magomedsharipov wants to be UFC champion, but he said it’s at the promotion’s digression when he gets the belt. read news >>

After UFC 223 hoopla, Tony Ferguson says he's 'only legitimate lightweight champion left'

Tony Ferguson wants to be deemed the true UFC lightweight champion after Conor McGregor’s recent arrest during UFC 223 fight week. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Among Fighters Heaping Praise on Rose Namajunas' Win over Joanna Jedrzejczyk | MMAWeekly.com

Fighters came out in droves to congratulate Rose Namajunas and Joanna Jedrzejczyk following their five-round war at UFC 223. read news >>

Hey, Ronda Rousey congratulated Rose Namajunas and Joanna Jedrzejczyk after UFC 223

Ronda Rousey hasn’t seemed too inclined to talk about MMA recently, but she did tweet to congratulate UFC 223’s co-headliners. read news >>

UFC 223 post-event facts: Khabib Nurmagomedov, Rose Namajunas join elite company in title wins

The best facts, figures and footnotes from UFC 223, where champs Khabub Nurmagomedov and Rose Namajunas reigned. read news >>

Unfazed by added eyeballs, Bellator 197's Logan Storley wants to be world champ by 27

Coming from an accomplished wrestling background, 25-year-old prospect Logan Storley isn’t too concerned about expectations placed upon his unbeaten MMA career: “A lot of people say pressure is a pri read news >>

Brett Johns wants to be first Welsh UFC champion, even if 'it seems unrealistic'

Brett Johns relishes the role of torchbearer for Welsh MMA in the UFC, even if it comes with a lot of pressure and expectation. read news >>

Dustin Poirier cool without UFC 223 opportunity, wants to earn title old fashioned way

Of course, Dustin Poirier inquired with his promoter whether he was needed to headline UFC 223, but it’s OK that he isn’t. read news >>

'UFC 1 on 1: Rose Namajunas' debuts tonight on FS1 ahead of UFC 223

Ahead of her first title defense, FS1 is rolling out a special look at UFC women’s strawweight champion Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: Rematch with Rose Namajunas 'Bigger Than 14 Years of My Fighting Career' | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk knows that her legacy is on the line when she steps into the cage against Rose Namajunas on Saturday night at UFC 223 read news >>

Unfiltered: Khabib Joins In-Studio and Says 'Aloha' to Max Holloway

Khabib and Ali Abdelaziz join Jim and Matt in-studio ahead of UFC 223 and discuss Max Holloway replacing Tony Ferguson, if any other fighters offered to step in, Conor McGregor, Eddie Alvarez, wrestl read news >>

Rose Namajunas vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk 2: UFC 223 Countdown | MMAWeekly.com

Former strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk gets an immediate rematch against titleholder Rose Namajunas. Go inside their lives as they ready for UFC 223. read news >>

Dana White Believes Floyd Mayweather to the UFC is a Very Real Possibility | MMAWeekly.com

If all parties involved are to be believed, Floyd Mayweather's mixed martial arts debut may just be willed into reality. Mayweather has said that he is serious about taking a fight in the UFC. Most p read news >>

Search for: