Less than three weeks after failing a random drug test in Nevada that took him out of a UFC 175 bout against Vitor Belfort, and ultimately led to his retirement from MMA, Chael Sonnen has reportedly failed a second test, as well.
MMA Fighting reported Saturday night that a second test, also administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, showed Sonnen had human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin, anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin.
According to the report, Sonnen took the second test on June 5 in his home state of Oregon. At the time, the results of his first test, which took place in late May in Las Vegas, had not been released. The results of that test came out June 10, when it was revealed Sonnen tested positive for Sonnen tested positive for anastrozole, a non-steroidal aromatase-inhibiting drug used to treat breast cancer, and clomiphene, which is used to treat female infertility.
Sonnen said after the failed test that he was on the drugs as he cycled off his previous therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy, which the NSAC banned earlier this year.
Sonnen issued a statement to MMA Fighting regarding the results of the second test: “Yes, the Commission is aware of other prescribed medications I was taking and I will not challenge their allegations,” Sonnen stated. “I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules.”
After his first positive test, Sonnen said on the “UFC Tonight” program he hosts on FOX Sports 1 that the medical condition that necessitated his use of TRT in turn forced him to take medications in the transition off TRT to maintain a healthy life outside the octagon.
“Look, they changed the rules, and I’ve got to comply with the rules,” Sonnen said then. “I don’t resist that at all. However, there is a transition period, and I couldn’t have been more open or more transparent, whether it was ‘UFC Tonight,’ whether it was different interviews or different places. Anybody that I could tell that I could talk to about this, I did. And these are the medications that you have to go on to lead a healthy life, and if they’re asking me to choose between health and my sport, that’s not a choice I can make. I’ve got to choose health.”
This past week, the NSAC said it will revisit Sonnen’s failed test later this year for likely disciplinary action. Now that he’s retired, a possible suspension may not affect him. He may be fined, as well.view original article >>
Jon Jones is in hot water…again. Jones has been notified of a potential doping violation by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) for a drug test that was administered in competition on July 28 fo read news >>
Daniel Cormier has experienced a roller coaster of emotions over the past few weeks. The former light heavyweight champion suffered only the second loss of his professional fighting career at UFC 214 read news >>
Former opponent Chael Sonnen provided some blunt analysis of Jon Jones’ situation after the UFC champ’s second failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
New details reportedly emerged Friday regarding Jon Jones' drug test following his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, citing multiple sources, reported Jones passed a read news >>
What did the fighters at UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam go with as their walkout music? We’ve got them all.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
UFC flyweight champion and pound-for-pound great Demetrious Johnson returns to the octagon on Saturday in search of history in UFC 215’s headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under read news >>
The fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor did not break gate records for boxing, falling short of Mayweather's bout with Manny Pacquiao. According to Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting, th read news >>
Having already sold the company, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have reportedly cashed in on their remaining investment in UFC. Forbes' Noah Kirsch reported the pair sold their rest of their shares in UF read news >>
Ray Borg and Demetrious Johnson will reportedly not be fighting in Saturday's main event at UFC 215 in Edmonton, Canada. On Thursday, Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting reported Borg had to withdraw from read news >>
Remember that fiery Conor McGregor-Nate Diaz press conference? Remember the thrown cans and bottles? One security guard does.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>