#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

For his Sept. 22 UFC light heavyweight title bout against Jon Jones, Vitor Belfort will be training with Rashad Evans, Alistair Overeem and company at the Blackzilians camp in Florida.

Glenn Robinson is a founder of the team and the president of Authentic Sports Management. Ahead of Belfort’s title shot, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show to discuss the cancellation of UFC 151, Belfort’s willingness to fight Jones on short notice and more.

On Belfort’s reaction to hearing UFC 151 was being canceled: “I called him up to tell him what was going on with the UFC, that they were canceling the card, and his first reaction was, ‘I’ll fight.’ Without even thinking about it, without even a hesitation. He didn’t even care who he fought. His first reaction was, ‘I’ll fight.’ He’s a true warrior. He really is a true warrior. We talked about it, and he reached out to the UFC and he was chosen. He was the lucky one. Vitor’s always ready to fight.”

On Belfort moving back up to light heavyweight for the bout: “To him, 185, 205, it doesn’t make a difference. A fight’s a fight. I think he would have taken it if it was heavyweight.”

On Belfort’s mindset: “He’s happy. He’s very happy. He fights well when he’s fighting from a happy place. … This is going to be a tough fight for Jon. I think the oddsmakers who came out with a 13-1 [line] against Vitor, that’s crazy. That’s crazy. I mean they’re really underestimating him tremendously.”

On whether he can see why Jones didn’t take the fight against Chael Sonnen: “I’m not going to dispute their reasoning. I’m sure they had reasoning and logic. I have a lot of respect for Greg Jackson. He’s a great man. I have a lot of respect for Jon Jones. … I mean no disrespect to them whatsoever, but in my opinion, fighters fight. That’s what you do. You’re a fighter. You fight. Michael Bisping stepped up with eight days’ notice and he fought. That’s just what you do. I think this business is getting a little bit carried away with everyone trying to make sure that it’s the perfect opponent. At the end of the day, as a champion, you should be prepared to fight anybody who comes your way. But that’s people in my camp. I’m not speaking for Jon. I’m not speaking for Greg. I’m just speaking for our camp. My advice to the fighter would have been to fight.”

On fighters turning down bouts: “It’s hard to tell a fighter that you have to fight this person, but yeah, it’s happening to a big degree because everyone wants to make sure -- you know, there’s sponsorships involved and there’s a lot of dollars on the line. Once you’re the titleholder, when you lose that belt, it’s like getting back in line and waiting for the bus. You might be six people behind. You might be three people behind. You just don’t know. Everyone wants to protect the legacy they’re building, and I understand that. From a fighter’s perspective, they want to be careful, but I still come from the mindset that as a champion, you should be prepared to fight anybody that comes your way. You have to think of the ramifications of your actions. In my opinion, the fighters have to be more willing to take on anyone that comes their way.”

On what might not be known about the situation: “I think that there’s a lot more that goes into both sides of it that we don’t know about. We’re just all -- myself, the media, other fighters and everyone -- surmising a lot. I know Jon Jones is not afraid to fight anyone. I know he’s confident in his ability. Jon’s a great fighter. No one could dispute that. Jon is one of the best fighters in the world. I just think there are some circumstances we’re not privy to, and I’m just speaking to more of a general statement. My opinion is that as a fighter, you have to be prepared to fight at anytime.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 30:52).

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Vitor Belfort Fights

• a year ago

Comments

So, what's Jon Jones been up to lately?

We haven’t heard much lately from Jon Jones, the former UFC champion who’s facing a potentially long suspension. However, Jones apparently isn’t giving up on the possibility of someday returning to t read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Uriah Hall now official for UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

Vitor Belfort took the liberty of announcing his next fight booking, against Uriah Hall, a few weeks ago. Now it’s official.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Listen to today's UFC Fight Night 122 media call with Michael Bisping, Kelvin Gastelum at 3 p.m. ET

You can listen to today’s UFC Fight Night 122 media call here on MMAjunkie at 3 p.m. ET (noon PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Gian Villante vs. Francimar Barroso booked for UFC 220 in Boston

The UFC’s return to Boston in January continues to build with the addition of a new light heavyweight bout. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum UFC Shanghai Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) After Anderson Silva was pulled from the UFC Shanghai main event because of a potential anti-doping violation, Michael Bisping agreed to step into the fight with Kelvin Gastelum wit read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 pre-event facts: Fabricio Werdum brings big numbers

Check out 40 facts, figures and footnotes ahead of UFC-Sydney, which is headlined by Fabricio Werdum vs. Marcin Tybura.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Dodson, Several Others, Suspended for 180 Days Following UFC Norfolk | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis put on a Fight of the Night performance in the UFC Fight Night 120 main event on Saturday, but it came with a cost. Both are on the medical suspension list issued by read news >>

Jessica Eye vs. Kalindra Faria flyweight bout headed to UFC-St. Louis in January

The UFC’s new women’s flyweight division will be on display when the company debuts in St. Louis in January.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Earns Six-Figure Payday to Lead UFC Fight Night in Norfolk Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski stopped the bleeding on a five fight losing streak with a victory over Junior Albini this past Saturday night and he was paid handsomely for his victory. A read news >>

Tyron Woodley Opens as Heavy Betting Favorite Over Nate Diaz | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has opened as a heavy favorite over Nate Diaz. read news >>