#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

Chad Mendes isn’t used to losing.

He lost just once his senior year wrestling at Cal Poly. In MMA he won his first 11 bouts, but then featherweight champion Jose Aldo ruined his perfect record in January by scoring a knockout with just one second left in the first round.

“That was tough,” Mendes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I felt alone. I felt bummed. The goal was to get in there and win that fight, and it just didn’t happen. That was the second loss that I’ve had in like five years, and it’s just tough to deal with … sitting there and replaying that knee over and over in my mind and just kind of kicking myself in the ass for it.”

Mendes will be looking to get back on track Saturday when he meets Cody McKenzie at UFC 148.

“It’s a fight that I need to clear my mind with,” Mendes said. “… I need to feel good and get back in that W column. I think this is the perfect fight for me.”

McKenzie is coming off a victory via guillotine choke over Marcus LeVesseur in May. It’s no secret that the guillotine is his specialty -- his record is full of wins courtesy of the choke.

“He’s got a great guillotine choke, but I’ve trained with Joseph [Benavidez] and Urijah [Faber] since day one and those guys have some of the best guillotine chokes out of anyone in the world,” Mendes said. “It’s not anything new to me. Obviously he does it a little bit different. We’ve worked on that throughout this camp, and it’s something we’ve really focused on because I knew that’s his golden move and that’s what he’s catching everyone with.”

Mendes is a major favorite in the fight, but he also considers it a very dangerous bout in part due to the fact that he’s supposed to win. He doesn’t want to just win, though.

“I’m just looking to get in there and finish this fight, honestly, as fast as I can,” Mendes said. “I want to make a statement to everyone in the UFC and all my fans and to myself. This is just something that I want to do. That’s the goal.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:24:26).

Galleries

Chad Mendes Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Don't mind Conor McGregor, who enjoyed sipping whiskey after losing to Floyd Mayweather

The fact that he was TKO’d by Floyd Mayweather did not seem to dampen Conor McGregor’s spirit.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 26' cast: Shana Dobson, the school teacher

When Shana Dobson isn’t training or in the cage, she’s at school teaching fourth-grade kids how to read, write and do math.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Super Six - Fabricio Werdum’s Defining Moments

Fabricio Werdum hopes to move one step closer to a shot at regaining the crown when he faces Derrick Lewis at UFC 216. Read on for a look at six of his defining moments. read news >>

Conor McGregor Is the Perfect Loser

You want to know something weird? Conor McGregor isn’t beloved by everyone in Ireland. McGregor is almost certainly the most famous athlete in the history of the country. Nobody comes close, really. read news >>

Unbeaten Rob Wilkinson not stressing out about losing one day ahead of UFC Rotterdam

Coming to the UFC at 11-0, and with nine first-round finishes, Australia’s Rob Wilkinson is ready to show his skills at the next level.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ben Askren on How Losing Taught Him How to Win | MMAWeekly.com

Ben Askren is undefeated, but it has been the hardships in his sporting career that shaped the ONE Championship titleholder. read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam's Zabit Magomedsharipov calls out Artem Lobov, who responds immediately

Artem Lobov isn’t one to back down from a fight, even if he already has one booked.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, Netherlands, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media. Check out some of those reactions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

What Did Conor McGregor Say to Dana White After Losing to Floyd Mayweather? | MMAWeekly.com

After all his brashness in the lead-up to his fight with Floyd Mayweather, what did Conor McGregor have to say to UFC president Dana White after the loss? read news >>

Elite Eight - Demetrious Johnson Fights

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson isn’t just one of the most dominant champions competing in the Octagon at the moment; he may be one of the most dominant ever. As we await Saturday night’s card in E read news >>