#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Duelo De Giagantes #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance VFA Round 4 #VFA: Round 4 #VFA Round 4 #Vengeance Fighting Alliance - VFA: Round 4

Jacob Volkmann doesn’t follow MMA as closely as some fighters do, but he made a point to watch UFC 149 on Saturday to root against Hector Lombard.

He’d trained with the Cuban middleweight last year at American Top Team, and from what Volkmann says, the session didn’t go too well.

“My teammate had a fight down in Florida,” Volkmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I went to train at ATT, which is a great gym. I have nothing against that gym. I just had a beef with Hector Lombard.”

Lombard was an Olympic judoka for Cuba who entered UFC 149 with 20 straight wins. Volkmann, a lightweight who has competed in the UFC at 170 pounds, was a three-time All-American wrestler at the University of Minnesota.

“It was grappling time, and he asked me to wrestle him,” Volkmann said. “I was like, ‘Alright, whatever.’ So I went over and we got our own little mat area like the size of a circle on a regular mat. We started wrestling. I was doing collar ties, and then all of a sudden, he karate chopped me in the side of the neck. I was like, ‘Alright.’ I didn’t know what the hell was going on, but he didn’t like what I was doing.”

Volkmann said the two kept wrestling, and things got worse.

“I didn’t really take any shots because I felt that he was kind of a spaz,” Volkmann said. “Then all of a sudden, he pushes me away and punches me in the face with no gloves on or nothing. I had a fight in three weeks. I was fighting Danny Castillo in three weeks. I was like, ‘Aw, Jesus.’ He wanted to fight me right there and then, right in the gym. There was one of his coaches there that had to stop it.”

To Volkmann’s delight, Lombard lost Saturday in his UFC debut, dropping a split decision to Tim Boetsch. The Minnesotan wasn’t too impressed with his performance either. He hesitated to predict how a fight with Lombard would unfold, but his confidence grew after the weekend.

“Judging from his last UFC fight,” Volkmann said, “I think I could take him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:04:27).

Comments

Team Conor McGregor and Team Floyd Mayweather Scuffle at Grand Arrival (video) | MMAWeekly.com

As Conor McGregor's team arrived, Floyd Mayweather's was leaving and they crossed paths. It didn't take long for civility to break down. read news >>

Luck of the Irish: 7 things that broke Conor McGregor's way to land huge Floyd Mayweather payday

Conor McGregor doesn’t land this life-changing “Money Fight” against Floyd Mayweather without some breaks on his way to the top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani full live results and fight stats. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115: Volkov vs. Struve Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC Fight Night 115: Volkov vs. Struve full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 11:30 am ET / 8:30 am PT on Saturday. read news >>

DWCS winner Julian Marquez to make debut vs. Vitor Miranda at UFC on FOX 26

How will Julian Marquez follow up his ferocious win on Dana White’s Contender Series?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Wants to Finish Fights in UFC Contract to Start Boxing, Coach Says

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may soon follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor and take his talents to the boxing ring. "He’s training boxing because he has this dream of competing in read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg full live results and fight stats. First fight is slated for 6:15 pm ET / 3:15 pm PT on Saturday. read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Stephen Thompson, Joe Lauzon, Hector Lombard, Tony Martin

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Stephen Thompson, Joe Lauzon, Hector Lombard, and Tony Martin.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>