#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Jorge Gurgel ripped Tyler Combs as a “poor excuse of a man” for withdrawing from their March 5 Strikeforce bout, but Combs says his injury is legit.

Tyler Combs just did the cowardly thing that I knew he was going to do, and he pulled out,” Gurgel said on the Sherdog Radio Network just days before the event. “He’s not injured whatsoever. He’s walking around, and that’s not a speculation. That’s a fact. I have a lot of friends in common.”

However, Combs explained that walking around was irrelevant because he had injured a hand that already has a metal plate and pins in it.

“Actually the injury occurred Monday night [Feb. 28] after my second session of training,” Combs said on “Beatdown.” “I heard Jorge’s interview on your guys’ radio show, and he is saying that it’s a leg injury, which is false. I actually reinjured my hand that I broke a year ago and had to have surgery on. I pulled out Tuesday [March 1]. I’d given my hand a day to hopefully get a little better. After Tuesday, I couldn’t even make a fist. By then I kind of realized that it wouldn’t be a good idea to fight with one hand.”

Gurgel suggested that Combs had withdrawn because prior sparring sessions did not go well for him.

“I’ve knocked him out before, a couple of times, and I knew he wasn’t going to step up into the cage with me,” he said. “He knows he doesn’t belong in the cage with me. … I knew he wouldn’t want me to do what I was going to do to him in front of his family and everybody that likes him. He chose the easy way out.”

Combs has a different take on the training session. He explained that he and Gurgel both work with muay Thai coach Neal Rowe, who invited Combs to Gurgel’s camp to help him prepare for a fight.

“One training session, we were just going light, maybe like 50 percent, not trying to hurt each other,” Combs said. “After about two rounds of me just moving around too much and pretty much getting in and out of Jorge’s range, Jorge decided to take it up a notch and throw a head kick that was probably harder than a ‘Cro Cop’ head kick and pretty much put me on my butt. I wasn’t aware of the fact that we were going to go as hard as we were or I’d have went a little harder. Jorge was just getting frustrated that I was getting the better of him. … Even Neal said, ‘He was getting frustrated that you were getting the better of him and he threw a head kick that was way, way harder.’”

Gurgel ended up scoring a quick submission over Combs’ replacement, Billy Vaughan, at the Strikeforce event. Combs is still interested in the matchup. He believes it would look like the typical Gurgel bout, with two fighters slugging it out, except this time the combatants would genuinely dislike each other.

“Whenever my hand heals up and I’m able to start training again hard,” Combs said, “I’d like to get that fight on the road.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:00).

Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.

Comments

ONE Championship 60 results: Champ Ben Askren defends again, secures another stoppage

With his third straight title defense and 17th consecutive victory, ONE Championship welterweight champion Ben Askren had another relatively easy day of work.Filed under: News read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos explains Conor McGregor criticism after Floyd Mayweather fight

Rafael dos Anjos isn’t backing down from his Conor McGregor criticism following his boxing defeat to Floyd Mayweather. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Coach John Kavanagh doubts Conor McGregor defends UFC title before end of year

John Kavanagh’s assessment of Conor McGregor’s immediate future might not sit so well with a lot of fighters.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

A Favorite Advances and an Injury Could Eliminate a Contestant: The Ultimate Fighter 26 Recap | MMAWeekly.com

Another fighter moved one step closer to becoming the inaugural UFC women's 125-pound champion on the second episode of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. No. 4 seed DeAnna Bennett advanced read news >>

Amanda Nunes Addresses Dana White's Criticism Over UFC 213 Withdrawal | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up to UFC 215, Amanda Nunes addressed her withdrawal from UFC 213 and the criticism that she received from the likes of Dana White. read news >>

Super Six Fights - Amanda Nunes

The sports world will be watching on Saturday when UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes defends her title for the second time against rival Valentina Shevchenko in the main event of UFC 215 read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes' girlfriend Nina Ansaroff to critics: Support the sport

UFC women’s strawweight Nina Ansaroff said the criticism bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes received after pulling out of UFC 213 made them train a little harder for UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Gilbert Melendez got talked out of quitting on the stool after gnarly leg injury

Gilbert Melendez got off to a bad start against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215, which is another way of saying that after one round in the cage his left shin looked like it was ready to give birth.Filed read news >>

Sergio Pettis wastes no time, kindly asks UFC 215 winner Henry Cejudo to meet him in Detroit

After an injury forced Henry Cejudo out of a scheduled UFC 211 encounter, flyweight contender Sergio Pettis is hoping the two solve their unfinished business in December.Filed under: Blue Corner, New read news >>

After UFC 215 withdrawal, flyweight Ray Borg is not here for your Twitter criticism

Under fire for having to pull out of UFC 215’s headliner, flyweight challenger Ray Borg took to Twitter to respond.Filed under: Blue Corner, News, UFC read news >>