#Cris Cyborg #Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Bellator 179 #Nate Diaz #Angela Magana #Rory MacDonald #Paul Daley #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #GSP #Dhiego Lima #Hayder Hassan

A friend gave Robert Emerson some advice: get yourself clean, and all of your problems will go away.

“I just thought it was bull hockey,” Emerson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I was like, ‘Oh, whatever.’ I actually went to an [Alcoholics Anonymous] meeting with him and I just had a crazy revelation that night, and here it is, 60 days later, I won my fight. I’m back on the horse. Every single problem that I’ve had is completely gone now.”

The fight Emerson refers to is his March 9 win over Savant Young at Tachi Palace Fights 12. His first bout in more than a year, Emerson submitted the IFL veteran with a rear-naked choke 4:29 into the third round.

“It just reassured me that the lifestyle I’m living now and all the decisions that I’m making is for a purpose,” Emerson said. “I felt good in there. My conditioning was good. I didn’t even sit down or use a stool in between rounds. I felt fine. It was just a testament to my decision-making and the lifestyle I’m living now. My mind is just clear. I’m a few months sober now. Not that I was a crazy drug addict or a crazy, crazy party animal before or anything, but I just dabbled in mediocrity here and there. But as an athlete, that’s not really tolerable. I feel like I kind of just woke up out of this cloud, almost like I woke up out of a spell of the last eight years.”

Emerson has been fighting professionally for almost a decade. When he was 20 years old, he went the distance with Jens Pulver, who at the time was considered the top lightweight in the world. Five years later he was on “The Ultimate Fighter 5,” after which he experienced mixed success in the UFC. Now, though, Emerson says he has made changes in his life that will allow him to reach his potential.

“I had a real religious experience,” he said. “I just feel like God is helping me now that I’m willing to help myself. Everything in my life is right now. I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be and going in the direction now where I’m finally supposed to go. I feel like I put my life on hold and I took the hold button off and I’m moving forward, and every cell in my body tells me I’m going now.”

Emerson is only 30 years old. In his view, his best days are ahead, and they may include a return to the Octagon.

“I’m not putting all of my eggs in one basket,” Emerson said. “I’m just excited for my career from here on out. I’m going to fight as the fights come. I want to stay as active as possible. I’m looking to fight next month, May at the latest, and just keep on a roll. I think my fighting and my performances will have the UFC looking for me hopefully by summer time.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:32:47).

Ben Askren masters the art of both thanking his opponent, promising to destroy him ahead of ONE Championship 55

Along with the usual pre-fight threats, ONE Championship welterweight champion Ben Askren had to add a thank you to upcoming opponent Agilan Thani.Filed under: News read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Is Ripped and Tan Ahead of UFC 211 | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk puts her title on the line for the fifth time at UFC 211. Joanna Champion is ripped and ready. read news >>

Ahead of the UFC 211 rematch, take a look back at Stipe Miocic vs. Junior Dos Santos I

The heavyweight title is back on the line next week in Dallas with a highly anticipated rematch. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Unless looking like a 'boyband member' counts, Masvidal sees title shot with win over Maia

If beating welterweight contender Demian Maia at May 13’s UFC 212 doesn’t make him the challenger, Jorge Masvidal says this means “the sport has taken a dramatic turn for the worse.”Filed under: MMAj read news >>

James Nakashima Says He's the Most Compete Fighter That He Knows Ahead of LFA 11 | MMAWeekly.com

James Nakashima (6-0) returns for his first bout of 2017 when he takes on LaRue Burley (7-2) in a main card 170-pound bout on Friday in Phoenix at LFA 11. read news >>

Jose Estrada Sees Emilio Chavez as Just Another Guy in His Way at Combate Americas 14 | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Estrada (3-0) heads into Friday’s Combate Americas 14 looking to keep his quick finish streak going against Emilio Chavez (12-9). read news >>

LaRue Burley still puzzled by Bellator departure, but sees new start at LFA 11

LaRue Burley is the type who prefers to look forward into the future of his fighting career, not dwell on the past.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Demian Maia responds to champ Tyron Woodley's unfortunate comments about Masvidal fight

Ahead of his UFC 211 scrap with Jorge Masvidal, welterweight contender Demian Maia has a few – politely put – thoughts on champ Tyron Woodley and his ‘incoherent’ behavior.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Vitor Belfort joins Montreal's Tristar Gym ahead of final octagon bout at UFC 212

Vitor Belfort is doing things a little bit differently ahead of what he’s decided will be the final fight of his UFC career next month at UFC 212.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fans invited to Rose Namajunas, Derrick Lewis special workouts ahead of UFC 211 in Dallas

Fans in the Dallas area or heading there for this week’s UFC 211 card already had great chances queued up to see the fighters. Now they get a bonus.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>