Yves Edwards knew that Jeremy Stephens hits hard, but he also knew he’d leave himself open at some point during their bout Saturday at UFC on Fox 5.

“The thing I took from studying tape on him is that he loads up on his punches,” Edwards told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Yeah, he hits hard … but I think the confidence in his power makes him try to use it every time. He tries to kill. He tries to win the football game with one throw.”

Edwards, on the other hand, also hits hard but picks his shots. Less than two minutes into the fight, he floored Stephens with a short right hook and then finished him on the ground. It was the first time Stephens had been knocked out.

“I feel really comfortable countering guys, to throw punches when he’s throwing punches but getting out of the way at the same time,” Edwards said. “I just wanted to get his timing down. The shot, I threw it intentionally. I wanted to hit him hard, and it was just a perfect shot. It got there at a good time. I was still trying to work his timing out as far as when he tenses up and he’s ready to go. I kind of could see that, but I didn’t know I was going to clip him with that and shut him down. I knew I was going to hit him, but the force of my punch and him running into it is what brought him down.”

The fight lasted long enough for Edwards to get a taste of Stephens’ power. It was real, no doubt, but it was also far from the first time a veteran like Edwards had been matched against an opponent who can punch.

“It wasn’t a clean shot, but a little bit of it got through and I felt it,” Edwards said of one of Stephens’ strikes. “It felt like he has a lot of power, but I’ve fought a lot of guys over the years and I can go way back. I’ve fought a lot of guys with some power. … It wasn’t something that was scary to me, but it was nice to know where he stood and what he was bringing to the table.”

Edwards brought more Saturday, and now he’s looking to tie a few more wins together and possibly make another title run. The 36-year-old could have been a UFC champion in 2004, but his spectacular knockout of Josh Thomson ended up being a non-title affair when Zuffa decided to put the lightweight division on pause. Edwards is hoping for another shot.

“I don’t do this for any other reason,” he said. “I want to be the best that I could possibly be, and if the best that I can be is a champion, then I’m going to keep pushing for that. I know my window’s closing and I know there’s a lot of young guys coming up that are really, really good, but I want to try to get as high as I possibly can.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:09:20).

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens, Several Other Bouts Revealed for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Wednesday a host of bouts for the promotion's UFC 205 fight card in New York. read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2289 with Yves Edwards, Justin McCully, Alessandro Ricci

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Yves Edwards, Justin McCully and Alessandro Ricci.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Yves Edwards: If you're Lina Lansberg, fight 'Cyborg' the way she's already lost

UFC commentator and retired fighter Yves Edwards isn’t about to make a bold upset prediction in the case of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 headliner. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Finally freed of the scale, UFC Fight Night 95 co-headliner Renan Barao is not 'scared' of 145-pounders

BRASILIA, Brazil – Since moving up from the bantamweight division, former UFC champ Renan Barao might be walking around heavier – but, as far as his spirits go, he certainly feels lighter.Filed under read news >>

Ronda Rousey wants to fight Cris Cyborg - 'TMZ Sports'

Ronda Rousey isn't scared of Cyborg. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Calls Conor McGregor 'Ginger Crackhead' After UFC 205 Presser

UFC featherweight contender Jeremy Stephens has taken a shot at champion Conor McGregor ahead of UFC 205 on November 12, saying he'll fight the Notorious any day and labeling him a “ginger crackhead. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens gives heated response to Conor McGregor's insult at UFC 205 press conference

Jeremy Stephens wasn't happy with Conor McGregor's insult at the UFC 205 press conference, so he responds in the only way he knows how. read news >>

Watch Conor McGregor Burn Jeremy Stephens: 'Who the F*** is That Guy?' | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens has had a long career in the UFC with some memorable fights. Memorable to you and us, that is, but apparently not to Conor McGregor. read news >>

Conor McGregor disses Jeremy Stephens then calls out Floyd Mayweather - 'TMZ Sports'

Conor McGregor says he may have to drag Floyd Mayweather out of retirement again. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens: 'Leprechaun' Conor McGregor Wanted No Part of It (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor asked, 'who the f*** is that guy' after Jeremy Stephens said that he was McGregor's toughest match-up at the UFC 205 press conference. read news >>