Yves Edwards knew that Jeremy Stephens hits hard, but he also knew he’d leave himself open at some point during their bout Saturday at UFC on Fox 5.

“The thing I took from studying tape on him is that he loads up on his punches,” Edwards told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Yeah, he hits hard … but I think the confidence in his power makes him try to use it every time. He tries to kill. He tries to win the football game with one throw.”

Edwards, on the other hand, also hits hard but picks his shots. Less than two minutes into the fight, he floored Stephens with a short right hook and then finished him on the ground. It was the first time Stephens had been knocked out.

“I feel really comfortable countering guys, to throw punches when he’s throwing punches but getting out of the way at the same time,” Edwards said. “I just wanted to get his timing down. The shot, I threw it intentionally. I wanted to hit him hard, and it was just a perfect shot. It got there at a good time. I was still trying to work his timing out as far as when he tenses up and he’s ready to go. I kind of could see that, but I didn’t know I was going to clip him with that and shut him down. I knew I was going to hit him, but the force of my punch and him running into it is what brought him down.”

The fight lasted long enough for Edwards to get a taste of Stephens’ power. It was real, no doubt, but it was also far from the first time a veteran like Edwards had been matched against an opponent who can punch.

“It wasn’t a clean shot, but a little bit of it got through and I felt it,” Edwards said of one of Stephens’ strikes. “It felt like he has a lot of power, but I’ve fought a lot of guys over the years and I can go way back. I’ve fought a lot of guys with some power. … It wasn’t something that was scary to me, but it was nice to know where he stood and what he was bringing to the table.”

Edwards brought more Saturday, and now he’s looking to tie a few more wins together and possibly make another title run. The 36-year-old could have been a UFC champion in 2004, but his spectacular knockout of Josh Thomson ended up being a non-title affair when Zuffa decided to put the lightweight division on pause. Edwards is hoping for another shot.

“I don’t do this for any other reason,” he said. “I want to be the best that I could possibly be, and if the best that I can be is a champion, then I’m going to keep pushing for that. I know my window’s closing and I know there’s a lot of young guys coming up that are really, really good, but I want to try to get as high as I possibly can.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:09:20).

Georgi Karakhanyan Plans Move to Lightweight Following Featherweight Fight in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Following his Bellator 164 bout in Israel, Georgi Karakhanyan plans to leave featherweight behind and make the move to lightweight for some pivotal bouts. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Decisions Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the highlights of the UFC 205 featherweight fight between Frankie Edgar and Jeremy Stephens that took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. read news >>

After near-finish, Kowalkiewicz wants title rematch with UFC champ Jedrzejczyk in Poland

NEW YORK – UFC 205’s Karolina Kowalkiewicz felt good about her gritty performance against a sharp Joanna Jedrzejczyk, but she laments not finishing the champ: “I’m a little bit sad and angry because read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99's Artem Lobov says training camp not hindered by McGregor's big fight

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Artem Lobov insists he wasn’t lost in the shuffle at SBG Ireland training camp due to competing just one week after Conor McGregor’s historic champion vs. champion fight w read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99's Kevin Lee: 'A champion performs even when nobody's watching'

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – UFC lightweight Kevin Lee wasn’t exactly happy when he got the call to fight Magomed Mustafaev – but you already knew that. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>