fabricio-werdum-17.jpgIt seldom can be easy for Dana White and the UFC – there’s usually a wrinkle or two along the way.

But most of the time, things just find a way of working themselves out. And that’s how the UFC president seems to be looking at the heavyweight title picture.

Champion Cain Velasquez (11-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) in May puts his title on the line for the first time since recapturing it when he meets Antonio Silva (18-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) in the UFC 160 main event. The co-main event of that show will be former champ Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) against the suddenly streaking underdog story Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC).

This past week in Montreal, White said that should Hunt pull off another impressive upset against dos Santos the way he did earlier this month when he knocked out Stefan Struve and shattered his jaw in Japan, there would be little reason to deny him a heavyweight title shot.

“It’s crazy to say, … but if he knocks Junior dos Santos out, how is this guy not next in line?” White asked a small group of reporters.

One fighter who would probably have plenty to say about that is Fabricio Werdum (16-5-1 MMA, 4-2 UFC), who meets Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (34-7-1 MMA, 5-3 UFC) in June at UFC on FUEL TV 10 following their coaching stint on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 2.”

While there certainly aren’t many guarantees in MMA, White in December said that a Werdum win over Nogueira would get him a title shot.

And maybe it will – just with the potential that Hunt could be in front of him, if for no other reason than his fight with dos Santos will be in the books before Werdum fights Nogueira on June 8 in Brazil.

When asked by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in Montreal following UFC 158 what the potential for a Hunt title shot with a big win would do to Werdum’s near-term chances to fight for the belt with a win over his own, White said that while the two scenarios left some uncertainties, it was far from a complication.

“That’s a good question, (but) it doesn’t throw a wrench into the works,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “All these things depend on timing, who’s ready, whatever happens. We’ll see how this thing plays out.”

A Hunt win over dos Santos would give him five straight in the UFC’s heavyweight division after losing by quick armbar in his promotional debut to Sean McCorkle at UFC 119. That Hunt was a fighter the UFC reluctantly gave a chance to compete makes his current run even more impressive to White. It’s a run that has included knockouts of Cheick Kongo and Struve, who was 14 inches taller than him.

Werdum has won two straight since returning to the UFC after going 3-1 in Strikeforce. Once one of the UFC’s most promising heavyweights, he was released after being knocked out by dos Santos in dos Santos’ promotional debut at UFC 90. But he rebounded with three straight Strikeforce wins, including a now-legendary 69-second submission of Fedor Emelianenko, breaking a run of nearly 10 years without a loss for “The Last Emperor.”

For the latest on UFC 160 and UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Fabricio Werdum)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

'Stitch' Duran responds to Dana White's most recent comments: 'He has no clue'

  • 6 days ago
  • 989 views

There were numerous members of the mixed martial arts (MMA) community who were upset when Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fired renowned cutman Jacob Duran last week, just one day after "Stitch" read news >>

Dana White: Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew Ronda Rousey's father committed suicide before comments

  • 3 days ago
  • 117 views

Ronda Rousey is partly fueled at UFC 190 by comments Bethe Correia made about Rousey possibly killing herself if she loses. Rousey's father committed suicide when she was a child. Correia has apologi read news >>

Alistair Overeem calls out Junior dos Santos, tells UFC President Dana White to 'make it happen'

  • 27 days ago
  • 42 views

He even included that little fist emoji, so we know he's serious this time. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem, fresh off a "Big Country" beatdown in Dallas, read news >>

Dana White reveals that Jose Aldo would have ‘probably would've made close to $4 million’

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC President Dana White reveals that Jose Aldo was set to make close to $4 million at UFC 189. Prior to Jose Aldo's withdrawal from the highly anticipated UFC 189 event, it was clear that the feathe read news >>

Tonya Evinger Invicta FC 13 media day scrum

  • 27 days ago
  • 8 views

LAS VEGAS -- Tonya Evinger discusses recent comments by Sean Shelby, her motivation, why she would rather fight for Invicta than UFC, and more during Invicta FC 13 media day Tuesday. read news >>

Morning Report: Dana White says Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 27 days ago
  • 10 views

As if featherweight champion Jose Aldo couldn't feel any lower, apparently his absence at UFC 189 has only added to the appeal. At least that's the line UFC president Dana White is going with. Accord read news >>

Conor McGregor Bet Dana White $3 Million He’d KO Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 27 days ago
  • 94 views

So confident is Conor McGregor that he bet his employers $3 million he'll knock out Chad Mendes at UFC 189. read news >>

Dana White: Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 39 views

The UFC president was a guest on The Russillo Show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday (July 7, 2015) and he disclosed just how much money Jose Aldo was set to earn at UFC 189. Jose Aldo may have withdrawn from read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor tried to bet me $3 million he would knockout Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 28 days ago
  • 25 views

And as early as the second round, no less. You certainly can't accuse Conor McGregor of being short on confidence. That became evident after the smooth-talking Irishman tried to bet Ultimate Fighting read news >>

Dana White: UFC 189 passed U.S. gate record following McGregor-Mendes announcement

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

The sense of disappointment when Jose Aldo had to drop out of his scheduled UFC 189 main event against Conor McGregor due to a broken rib was widespread. But the idea this would be a deathblow proved read news >>