White says Brock Lesnar is far from done. | Photo:
UFC President Dana White dispelled all potential rumors that
former UFC heavyweight champion Brock
Lesnar may retire during a media conference call on Friday.
After losing his title to Cain
Velasquez at UFC 121 this past October, Lesnar's
well-documented diverticulitis returned. As a result, Lesnar was
forced to withdraw from a planned UFC 131 meeting with Junior dos
Santos to undergo surgery on May 27.
Since going under the knife a second time to combat his persistent
intestinal disorder, Lesnar's condition has been kept relatively
private. According to White, however, rumors of the fighter
retiring are unfounded, as Lesnar is now back to full strength.
“That's ridiculous. That's so far from the truth, it's not even
funny,” White told the media on Friday. “He's been working up on a
farm in Canada all summer. He's back to 100 percent, and he's
getting back into training in the next couple of weeks.”
Lesnar captured the heavyweight title in just his fourth
professional bout. A former NCAA champion at the University of
Minnesota and later a star in pro-wrestling, Lesnar debuted with
the UFC in 2008, losing by submission to Frank Mir at
UFC 81. The monstrous heavyweight would rebound from the defeat,
however, notching victories over Heath Herring
Couture to win the heavyweight championship.
The former Golden Gopher would defend the belt successfully twice,
battering Mir in July 2009 before being struck by his first bout
with diverticulitis that fall. Lesnar was forced to withdraw from a
planned UFC 106 showdown with Shane
Carwin, but the 34-year-old would return to the Octagon the
following summer, finishing Carwin with an arm-triangle choke at