Wanderlei Silva - Pride FCAt 36 years of age, the question of retirement comes at Wanderlei Silva almost daily.

He knows the day that he will have to hang up his gloves for the final time is drawing ever nearer, but fights like the one he had with Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8 continue to feed the fire that burns inside.

The two went toe-to-toe and fist-for-fist in a brutal 9:08 war, Silva eventually knocking Stann out.

“Brian Stann is a tough opponent. He has a strong punch,” said Silva at the post-fight press conference. “I hit him and he hit me, and I felt out a little bit in that moment, but this is the kind of fight I like to do. He’s a strong guy, a warrior; he came to fight, no going away, no run around. He’s there to do the job.”

“Doing the job” fulfills Silva. He may have earned his moniker of the “Axe Murder” with the way he fights, but the man could hardly be anything further from that outside of the cage.

Silva is an athlete that fights very much for his fans. It’s what sustains his youthful energy for the fight game. It’s what keeps him going, and what may keep him going beyond the time when he really should – like the NFL quarterback chasing one more Super Bowl – call it a day.

Silva has been in many wars over the years, his health taking a beating at times.

The day is coming, but the day is not today.

“I fight one fight at a time right now,” Silva stated. “I feel healthy, but I know sooner or later I’m gonna need to stop the job, but I’m happy for getting this feeling, this energy from my fans, make the show for my fans, make my fans happy.”

Saturday’s fight with Stann was the realization of one of Silva’s dreams, a dream that takes him one step closer to retirement.

He has been fighting professionally since 1996, nearly 17 years, pushing up on two decades. Silva began his career in Brazil and reached its apex fighting for Pride FC in Japan.

Having fought the past several years in the UFC, and mostly in the United States, Silva wanted to fight at least one more time each in Brazil and Japan before his day is done.

He fought Rich Franklin at UFC 147 in Brazil and Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8, fulfilling his wish.

“I’m so glad the UFC gave me the opportunity for me to fight one last time in Brazil and fighting here,” he said, but left the door open for more. “If UFC gives me the opportunity to come back here, I’m happy to fight in Japan again.

“I have the best moments of my life here and today is one more.”

How many more todays does Silva have? Only Silva will be able to answer that question, and even he can’t answer it just yet.

With sights on motherhood, UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk says retirement not far off

Appreciate Joanna Jedrzejczyk now – because the reigning UFC strawweight champion might not be active in the sport for much longer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Question: If Conor McGregor Wins UFC Lightweight Title, What Happens Next?

When UFC 205 hits the bright lights of New York, the promotion’s biggest star will fittingly stand in the spotlight as both the headliner and the main attraction. The latter designation is true for b read news >>

'Jacare' Souza tells UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping to 'stop running'

Ronaldo Souza figures he might as well speak Michael Bisping’s language if he’s to get the champ’s attention.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The Question: Are Star-Studded Events Like UFC 205 MMA's New Normal?

After an uncharacteristic three-week break and a well-regarded but low-profile cable TV event last week, the UFC begins its madcap push toward the new year in style this weekend. Actually, that quali read news >>

UFC 205 Weigh-in Results: Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor

UFC 205 is just about 24 hours away! The last stop before the Octagon's debut in Madison Square Garden? The "ceremonial" weigh-ins, of course! The real weigh-ins occurred earlier today, with the figh read news >>

Twitter reacts to Raquel Pennington's UFC 205 upset of Miesha Tate, and Tate's retirement

Raquel Pennington earned unquestionably the most significant victory of her career when she defeated former UFC champion Miesha Tate on Saturday’s UFC 205 main card at Madison Square Garden in New Yo read news >>

UFC 205 results: Raquel Pennington dominates Miesha Tate, who announces retirement

NEW YORK – Raquel Pennington dominated her former “Ultimate Fighter” coach, Miesha Tate, to open the UFC 205 pay-per-view on Saturday. Then Tate pulled a stunner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NEW YORK – By the time Miesha Tate dragged Raquel Pennington into the type of grappling fight that favored her, she was already down two rounds and struggling. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>