Wanderlei Silva - Pride FCAt 36 years of age, the question of retirement comes at Wanderlei Silva almost daily.

He knows the day that he will have to hang up his gloves for the final time is drawing ever nearer, but fights like the one he had with Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8 continue to feed the fire that burns inside.

The two went toe-to-toe and fist-for-fist in a brutal 9:08 war, Silva eventually knocking Stann out.

“Brian Stann is a tough opponent. He has a strong punch,” said Silva at the post-fight press conference. “I hit him and he hit me, and I felt out a little bit in that moment, but this is the kind of fight I like to do. He’s a strong guy, a warrior; he came to fight, no going away, no run around. He’s there to do the job.”

“Doing the job” fulfills Silva. He may have earned his moniker of the “Axe Murder” with the way he fights, but the man could hardly be anything further from that outside of the cage.

Silva is an athlete that fights very much for his fans. It’s what sustains his youthful energy for the fight game. It’s what keeps him going, and what may keep him going beyond the time when he really should – like the NFL quarterback chasing one more Super Bowl – call it a day.

Silva has been in many wars over the years, his health taking a beating at times.

The day is coming, but the day is not today.

“I fight one fight at a time right now,” Silva stated. “I feel healthy, but I know sooner or later I’m gonna need to stop the job, but I’m happy for getting this feeling, this energy from my fans, make the show for my fans, make my fans happy.”

Saturday’s fight with Stann was the realization of one of Silva’s dreams, a dream that takes him one step closer to retirement.

He has been fighting professionally since 1996, nearly 17 years, pushing up on two decades. Silva began his career in Brazil and reached its apex fighting for Pride FC in Japan.

Having fought the past several years in the UFC, and mostly in the United States, Silva wanted to fight at least one more time each in Brazil and Japan before his day is done.

He fought Rich Franklin at UFC 147 in Brazil and Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8, fulfilling his wish.

“I’m so glad the UFC gave me the opportunity for me to fight one last time in Brazil and fighting here,” he said, but left the door open for more. “If UFC gives me the opportunity to come back here, I’m happy to fight in Japan again.

“I have the best moments of my life here and today is one more.”

How many more todays does Silva have? Only Silva will be able to answer that question, and even he can’t answer it just yet.

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

NSAC meets Tuesday, Wanderlei Silva and Nick Diaz on agenda

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, and one of their most controversial decisions in recent memory could be altered.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jimy Hettes mulling retirement after latest in long line of injury withdrawals

Jimy Hettes was considered a top featherweight prospect when he made his UFC debut in August 2011. Less than five years and a mere six fights later, however, Hettes said he could be done fighting for read news >>

Another UFC Boston Scratch: Jimy Hettes Injured and Mulling Retirement

MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed that featherweight Jimy Hettes has had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 81 bout with Charles Rosa. read news >>

Nevada Commission Refuses to Re-Hear Wanderlei Silva’s Case

Wanderlei Silva's case was supposed to go before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday for a court-ordered re-hearing, but was delayed again. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva re-hearing delayed again, fighter's legal rep promised February date

After yet another delay to a re-hearing on Wanderlei Silva’s lifetime ban, his legal rep pleaded with the Nevada State Athletic Commission to make a decision and was promised one next month. Filed un read news >>

Attorney: Following public apology, Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

The UFC on Wednesday released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the industry-leader, freeing him to fight for other promoters, the fighter’s longtime attorney today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: F read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Retracts UFC Fight-Fixing Statements, Reportedly Released from Contract

While Wanderlei Silva awaits resolution over his lifetime ban handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission, it appears that he is close to being free of the UFC. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Free of UFC, but Battle with NSAC Still Looms Large

The late-career tale of Wanderlei Silva took another interesting twist on Thursday. To recap: Silva was dinged by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for running from a drug test in 2014. He was the read news >>