For Ryan McGillivray, there is no place like the Maximum Fighting Championship’s ring, as a total of 11 of his 18 professional fights have been contested under the MFC banner. As such, the 25-year-old welterweight feels it is his time to fight for a belt.

On May 4, he will have his chance.

A cast member on Season 14 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” McGillivray is slated to take on former Oregon State University wrestler Nathan Coy at MFC 33 “Collision Course” for the promotion’s welterweight title. The event will take place at the Mayfield Inn Trade and Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and McGillivray is grateful for the opportunity to fight for the title.

“I am very excited to have a chance at a very respected title,” McGillivray said in a release. “It has been a very long road and feels like all I have been through -- good and bad -- has been worth it.”

A member of Pro Camp, the Canadian McGillivray is coming off a come-from-behind victory over the previously unbeaten Diego Bautista, against whom McGillivray secured a fight-ending armbar in the third round. However, his sights are now set on the next challenge in front of him in the form of Coy.

“Coy is probably the toughest guy I have fought in my career, and I have no doubt I am going to need to be at my best to win the title,” said McGillivray.

Coy, a member of American Top Team, holds notable wins over UFC veterans Mike Pierce and Rick Story and has the wrestling credentials to bring the fight to the mat.

“I don’t think it’s any secret the pedigree he has with his national-level wrestling,” said McGillivray. “I am aware he is going to be looking to take me down and finish me there. I plan on making him pay on his way in and working my submissions in all areas.”

McGillivray does not have any secrets regarding his MMA success, either. Ten of his 12 victories have come via submission. Against Coy, his jiu-jitsu will have to be on point, considering how hard both men have worked to get a title shot.

“I know he has had a long road, as well, and will be equally motivated to take that belt,” McGillivray said.

All things being equal, McGillivray will likely need to call upon his vast experience in the MFC ring to get past Coy and become a champion. Still, McGillivray is grateful just to have the opportunity to see his dream come to fruition.

“It has always been a dream of mine to have this title fight,” he said.

The Downes Side: UFC 189 Predictions

UFC / WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor, taking place Saturday, July 11... read news >>

UFC 189: Main Card Betting Odds and Predictions

UFC 189 is finally here. The jam-packed fight card takes place in Las Vegas, and Conor McGregor is your headliner opposite Chad Mendes. We will find out just how big of a draw McGregor truly is in hi read news >>

Rory MacDonald Talks Relighting the Fire Heading into Robbie Lawler Rematch (UFC 189 Video)

Rory MacDonald is in a different place mentally heading into his UFC 189 rematch with welterweight champion Robbie Lawler. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 12

Join us here tonight for live coverage of episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter as the latest season sees its conclusion. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. J read news >>

UFC Fight Night 71 weigh-ins set for Tuesday in San Diego

UFC Fight Night 71 fighter weigh-ins take place Tuesday in San Diego, and fans can attend for free to see fighters from the 12-bout card hit the scales. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch today's Invicta FC 13 weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 9 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Invicta FC 13 weigh-in takes place today, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

UFC 189 'Fight Factor' preview for 'Prelims' undercard, Pt 2

FOUR! That's four days until UFC 189: "Mendes vs. McGregor," which takes place inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 11, 2015. If I were to put a soundtrack to my excitement it read news >>

Fan Perspective: Is the Conor McGregor hype bubble about to burst?

This Saturday’s UFC 189 event provides Conor McGregor the opportunity to quiet a lot of doubters when he takes on Chad Mendes for the interim UFC featherweight championship.Filed under: Featured Vide read news >>

Brandon Thatch: Rukus Redefined

Let’s define “Rukus.” If one had to explain what UFC welterweight Brandon Thatch’s nickname meant, the best place to start is the 11 pro wins that are all first-round finishes including back-to-back read news >>

U.S. vs Japan women's soccer World Cup 2015 open thread

A place to talk about the soccer game, MMA, upcoming events, or whatever else happens to be on your mind! read news >>