daniel-cormier-olympics.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Despite building an undefeated record as a heavyweight mixed martial artist, Daniel Cormier is strongly considering a move to the 205-pound light heavyweight division.

It’s an astonishing revelation for a man who has long insisted such a move would be impossible, especially since dropping weight once nearly killed Cormier.

“It was very scary,” he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was in the hospital. I was getting IV bags, not really eating food. I couldn’t recover from the weight cut.”

The two-time Olympic wrestler’s harrowing experience came during the 2008 Beijing Games. As is customary with almost all elite-level wrestlers, Cormier was cutting water weight when his kidneys failed, forcing him to withdraw from the competition.

“I had been cutting weight for a really long time,” Cormier said. “I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. … Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary.”

Cormier’s history is one reason, even at 5-10, all of his professional MMA bouts have been as a heavyweight, with its 265-pound limit. It’s the division in which he’ll make his UFC debut at Saturday’s UFC on FOX & event in San Jose (FOX, 8 p.m. ET). Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) faces ex-UFC champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC), but he thinks that, win or lose, his future might lie in a different weight class.

“Physically, I’m different now,” said Cormier, 34, an All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State. “When I was saying that I couldn’t make light heavyweight, it wasn’t happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing 7, 8 pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I’m 234 pounds. That’s almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I’m lighter now than even when I was wrestling.”

Dropping a division would alleviate the possibility of Cormier being asked to fight teammate and friend Cain Velasquez, the UFC’s heavyweight champ. It would also open the possibility of facing Jon Jones, the UFC’s dominant light heavyweight champ who Cormier has said he has interest in facing.

First comes Mir, the highest-profile opponent of his career. But it seems Cormier has options in two divisions.

“I think I have to just get through this fight and then see what happens next,” Cormier said. “I’m going to fight with my heart and soul and give you everything I have to win this fight against Frank and continue to build to hopefully one day be the UFC champion.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Benson Henderson Prepares for Bellator Debut with Weight of Expectations

Of all the names that have bolted to Bellator from the UFC, Benson Henderson is the one that most surprised the mixed martial arts establishment. On a win streak, and upon increasing his value by fig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88's Jeremy Stephens: Renan Barao is mentally broken

Jeremy Stephens is no stranger to welcoming fighters to a new weight class. He did it five years ago when the now-retired Marcus Davis wanted to try his hand at lightweight. Davis got knocked out in read news >>

RIZIN FF Announces Wanderlei Silva’s Tag Team Partner

RIZIN FF announced today that MMA pioneer and former professional wrestling standout Kiyoshi Tamura will join forces with Wanderlei Silva in the special grappling tag team matchup. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Responds to Jon Jones' Comments

UFC fighter Daniel Cormier apparently did not appreciate that Jon Jones called him a coward when he appeared on The MMA Hour on Monday (h/t Shaun Al-Shatti of MMAFighting.com). Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Julianna Pena cleared to resume UFC career following assault allegations

The UFC today announced it has completed an investigation into allegations of assault by women’s bantamweight Julianna Pena and reinstated “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner, freeing her to resume her read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier Hot Tweets: Liars, Cowards, and Junkies… Oh My!

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier may not be fighting at UFC 197 as planned, but that hasn't stopped them from continuing to trash each other on Twitter. read news >>

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant recaps Episode No. 3 of 'Dancing with the Stars'

On Monday, UFC strawweight Paige VanZant returned on Season 22 of “Dancing with the Stars.” Today, she talked to MMAjunkie about her appearance on the season’s third episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, April 5: WSOF champ Branch keeps rolling

Since a brief run in the UFC, two-division WSOF champ David Branch has become one of the sport’s top fighters competing outside the octagon. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Jon Jones: OSP beating me would be 'greatest day' of UFC champ Daniel Cormier's life

Don’t let Jon Jones’ recent Twitter battle with rival Daniel Cormier cause any confusion: “Bones” is 100 percent focused on new UFC 197 opponent Ovince Saint Preux, he said.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>