daniel-cormier-olympics.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Despite building an undefeated record as a heavyweight mixed martial artist, Daniel Cormier is strongly considering a move to the 205-pound light heavyweight division.

It’s an astonishing revelation for a man who has long insisted such a move would be impossible, especially since dropping weight once nearly killed Cormier.

“It was very scary,” he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was in the hospital. I was getting IV bags, not really eating food. I couldn’t recover from the weight cut.”

The two-time Olympic wrestler’s harrowing experience came during the 2008 Beijing Games. As is customary with almost all elite-level wrestlers, Cormier was cutting water weight when his kidneys failed, forcing him to withdraw from the competition.

“I had been cutting weight for a really long time,” Cormier said. “I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. … Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary.”

Cormier’s history is one reason, even at 5-10, all of his professional MMA bouts have been as a heavyweight, with its 265-pound limit. It’s the division in which he’ll make his UFC debut at Saturday’s UFC on FOX & event in San Jose (FOX, 8 p.m. ET). Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) faces ex-UFC champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC), but he thinks that, win or lose, his future might lie in a different weight class.

“Physically, I’m different now,” said Cormier, 34, an All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State. “When I was saying that I couldn’t make light heavyweight, it wasn’t happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing 7, 8 pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I’m 234 pounds. That’s almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I’m lighter now than even when I was wrestling.”

Dropping a division would alleviate the possibility of Cormier being asked to fight teammate and friend Cain Velasquez, the UFC’s heavyweight champ. It would also open the possibility of facing Jon Jones, the UFC’s dominant light heavyweight champ who Cormier has said he has interest in facing.

First comes Mir, the highest-profile opponent of his career. But it seems Cormier has options in two divisions.

“I think I have to just get through this fight and then see what happens next,” Cormier said. “I’m going to fight with my heart and soul and give you everything I have to win this fight against Frank and continue to build to hopefully one day be the UFC champion.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Urijah Faber Big Supporter of the New Drug Testing and Weight Cutting Rules (UFC 199 Video)

Count Urijah Faber as one of the fighters that is a big supporter of recent changes that include surprise drug tests and stricter guidelines for weight cutting. read news >>

UFC 199: The Definitive Timeline of the Dominick Cruz-Urijah Faber Beef

"Check the record, bud." With this titanic and oft-played verbal blast, the hype surrounding Urijah Faber vs. Dominick Cruz III was reignited and running. Not that the machine has a ton of heavy lift read news >>

Jason Gonzalez Building Off of Time on TUF Heading into RFA 38

Jason Gonzalez got a taste of the UFC as part of a season of The Ultimate Fighter. Building off of that heading into RFA 38, he wants to get back to the UFC. read news >>

UFC 199 Results: Brian Ortega Remains Unbeaten, TKOs Clay Guida

Brian Ortega kept his undefeated record intact on Saturday when he faced former Strikeforce lightweight champion and UFC veteran Clay Guida at UFC 199 in Los Angeles. read news >>

UFC 200: Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones 2 Full Card Preview and Predictions

The most anticipated event in a good long while, UFC 200 is packed with names in a way never seen before in UFC history. The full card is as follows: Main Card (Pay-Per-View) Daniel Cormier vs. Jon J read news >>

Mike Arrant Replaces Injured Thiago Meller, Faces John Howard at WSOF 31

World Series of Fighting announced today that Thiago Meller has withdrawn from his scheduled welterweight contest against John Howard, who will now face Mike Arrant at WSOF 31. read news >>

UFC returns to Vancouver this August

UFC announced today it will stage its second Canadian event of the year at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on Saturday, August 27. UFC FIGHT NIGHT® will mark the fourth UFC card in Vancouver read news >>

1998 Fight Between Pete Williams and Mark Coleman To Be Inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame

UFC today announced that the classic 1998 fight between Pete Williams and Mark Coleman will be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame’s ‘Fight Wing.' read news >>

Rampage Jackson vs. Satoshi Ishii Results: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 157

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson improved his Bellator record to 4-0 with a split-decision win over Satoshi Ishii in the main event at Bellator 157 on Friday. MMAjunkie.com tweeted out the scorecards from t read news >>

UFC 200 Free Fight: Daniel Cormier Taps Out Anthony Johnson to Capture the Title

Daniel Cormier earned the UFC light heavyweight title when he defeated one of the most feared strikers in the division in Anthony Johnson at UFC 187. read news >>