brendan-schaub-13.jpgThey were teammates on Rashad Evans‘ squad on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” but Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are now acting a lot more like what they’re going to be next month: opponents.

The two recently got in a round of sparring on Twitter, with Mitrione making fun of Schaub’s recent appearances in grappling and MMA, and Schaub bringing Mitrione’s wife into the mix.

[email protected] looks like Adam Sandler f—ed Corky from ‘Life Goes On,’ Mitrione wrote.

“I might look like adam Sandler/corkey mix your wife when we did appearances together sure seemed to like it,” Schaub fired back. “How’s that going by the way?”

The heavyweights will answer for their words next month on the FX-televised preliminary card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place July 27 at KeyArena in Seattle.

Mitrione got the ball rolling on Monday with a playful jab about his former teammate’s chin. He then took aim at Schaub’s recent appearance at the grappling competition Metamoris, which ended in a dreary decision loss to Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu, and his grinding win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“Planned parenthood should stop giving out birth control & start giving out copies of @BrendanSchaub ‘s 15 min. dry humping of Lavar Johnson,” Mitrione wrote.

“Someone asked me if @BrendanSchaub is married. Seriously? I saw his Jiu Jitsu match. How you gonna get married when you refuse to engage?” he continued.

Two months ago, Mitrione, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a knockout of Phil De Fries, was suspended and fined for a transphobic rant against transgender fighter Fallon Fox and is expected to work with the LGBT community to make amends for his action.

Schaub is Mitrione’s first opponent since the incident and didn’t take kindly to the tweets.

“My man remember when you pissed your pants on TUF and you said fighting wasn’t for you. I do and Well it still isn’t,” he responded.

Schaub today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that things started getting tense between the two when Mitrione attended his recent appearance at Metamoris.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” Schaub said. “He came to my match, and it was a little bit weird. Yesterday, my buddy told me he was talking trash. So I got on there and there was some bulls–t, so I called him out, and we just took it from there.

“I think he’s upset because I crossed the line or something like that. He’s making fun of the way I look, and I said, ‘You’re wife doesn’t seem to mind.’ So I think he’s upset with it.”

Indeed, Mitrione seemed to take offense at the escalation.

“Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me of more than someone I considered a friend doing me dirty. I Gotchu @BrendanSchaub #BenedictArnold,” he wrote.

While Mitrione might have gotten a boost from the exchange, the skirmish isn’t providing any more motivation for Schaub, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a decision win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“I don’t need any more fuel for the fire,” he said. “I’ve got work to do. Matt and his boy (former UFC heavyweight Sean) McCorkle sit around and come up with stuff to talk s–t about. I’m training for Matt. He’s just another opponent. I’m going to kill this dude.”

Mitrione, who was unreachable for comment, doesn’t sound convinced.

“Don’t count on seeing @BrendanSchaub on the Maury Povich show anytime soon. Cuz after we fight next month, he’ll know exactly who his dad is,” he wrote.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Brendan Schaub)

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Jon Jones: OSP beating me would be 'greatest day' of UFC champ Daniel Cormier's life

Don’t let Jon Jones’ recent Twitter battle with rival Daniel Cormier cause any confusion: “Bones” is 100 percent focused on new UFC 197 opponent Ovince Saint Preux, he said.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>

Twitter reacts to Miesha Tate title defense announcement vs. Amanda Nunes at UFC 200

It’s not Holly Holm, nor is it Ronda Rousey. Instead it will be Amanda Nunes who challenges Miesha Tate for the UFC women’s bantamweight title at UFC 200. See how social media reacted to Wednesday ni read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup appears it'll be limited to Twitter

Khabib Nurmagomedov and Donald Cerrone clearly want to fight, but it appears the matchup may be limited to social media for now.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: After all Jon Jones' troubles, why haven't fans flocked to Daniel Cormier's side?

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier continue to roll around in the mud together, most recently on social media. So why is it that Cormier is the one who always emerges lookin read news >>

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' KO of Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86

Derek Lewis has been the UFC’s most active heavyweight in recent years. And at UFC Fight Night 86, he picked up another victory with a first-round knockout of former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga.F read news >>

Twitter reacts to Junior Dos Santos' victory over Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 86

Junior Dos Santos knew a victory over Ben Rothwell was essential in his quest to once again become a threat to the UFC heavyweight title. That’s exactly what he got.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86’s Derrick Lewis anticipates Roy Nelson at UFC 200 and a Twitter war

ZAGREB, Croatia – UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis called out Roy Nelson and wound up getting Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86. But now he wants to restore that callout of Nelson for a fight this s read news >>

Twitter reacts to Lyoto Machida's banned substances-related removal from UFC on FOX 19

The UFC on FOX 19 main card lineup continued to be ravaged today when UFC announced Lyoto Machida was out of Saturday’s co-main event showdown with Dan Henderson. Check out some of the strongest reac read news >>