brendan-schaub-13.jpgThey were teammates on Rashad Evans‘ squad on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” but Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are now acting a lot more like what they’re going to be next month: opponents.

The two recently got in a round of sparring on Twitter, with Mitrione making fun of Schaub’s recent appearances in grappling and MMA, and Schaub bringing Mitrione’s wife into the mix.

[email protected] looks like Adam Sandler f—ed Corky from ‘Life Goes On,’ Mitrione wrote.

“I might look like adam Sandler/corkey mix your wife when we did appearances together sure seemed to like it,” Schaub fired back. “How’s that going by the way?”

The heavyweights will answer for their words next month on the FX-televised preliminary card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place July 27 at KeyArena in Seattle.

Mitrione got the ball rolling on Monday with a playful jab about his former teammate’s chin. He then took aim at Schaub’s recent appearance at the grappling competition Metamoris, which ended in a dreary decision loss to Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu, and his grinding win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“Planned parenthood should stop giving out birth control & start giving out copies of @BrendanSchaub ‘s 15 min. dry humping of Lavar Johnson,” Mitrione wrote.

“Someone asked me if @BrendanSchaub is married. Seriously? I saw his Jiu Jitsu match. How you gonna get married when you refuse to engage?” he continued.

Two months ago, Mitrione, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a knockout of Phil De Fries, was suspended and fined for a transphobic rant against transgender fighter Fallon Fox and is expected to work with the LGBT community to make amends for his action.

Schaub is Mitrione’s first opponent since the incident and didn’t take kindly to the tweets.

“My man remember when you pissed your pants on TUF and you said fighting wasn’t for you. I do and Well it still isn’t,” he responded.

Schaub today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that things started getting tense between the two when Mitrione attended his recent appearance at Metamoris.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” Schaub said. “He came to my match, and it was a little bit weird. Yesterday, my buddy told me he was talking trash. So I got on there and there was some bulls–t, so I called him out, and we just took it from there.

“I think he’s upset because I crossed the line or something like that. He’s making fun of the way I look, and I said, ‘You’re wife doesn’t seem to mind.’ So I think he’s upset with it.”

Indeed, Mitrione seemed to take offense at the escalation.

“Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me of more than someone I considered a friend doing me dirty. I Gotchu @BrendanSchaub #BenedictArnold,” he wrote.

While Mitrione might have gotten a boost from the exchange, the skirmish isn’t providing any more motivation for Schaub, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a decision win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“I don’t need any more fuel for the fire,” he said. “I’ve got work to do. Matt and his boy (former UFC heavyweight Sean) McCorkle sit around and come up with stuff to talk s–t about. I’m training for Matt. He’s just another opponent. I’m going to kill this dude.”

Mitrione, who was unreachable for comment, doesn’t sound convinced.

“Don’t count on seeing @BrendanSchaub on the Maury Povich show anytime soon. Cuz after we fight next month, he’ll know exactly who his dad is,” he wrote.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Brendan Schaub)

Twitter reacts to Amanda Nunes' 48-second starching of Ronda Rousey at UFC 207

Amanda Nunes said it was her time to reign atop the UFC women’s bantamweight division. She proved as much Friday with her first title defense against MMA superstar Ronda Rousey in the UFC 207 headlin read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: UFC 207 is almost here, so where's Ronda Rousey?

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, what’s really behind Ronda Rousey’s media blackout before UFC 207? And how will we remember UFC commentator Mike Goldberg now that his last event is upon us? All that read news >>

Twitter, including Conor McGregor's team, reacts to UFC 209's Nurmagomedov-Ferguson interim title bout

The UFC will introduce yet another interim title when lightweight contenders Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson clash in UFC 209’s co-main event on March 4. Check out the reactions to the new figh read news >>

Twitter reacts to Yair Rodriguez's dominant TKO of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn at UFC Fight Night 103

The star of Yair Rodriguez continued to rise on Sunday when the featherweight prospect defeated B.J. Penn in the UFC Fight Night 103 headliner at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Twitter reacts to Tim Kennedy's retirement from MMA competition

UFC middleweight contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy made his official exit from MMA today. See how social media reacted inside. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nunes vs. Rousey: UFC 207 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

For a main event that has its fighters participating in little to no media this week, the silence has somehow created even more of a buildup to Friday night's bout between Amanda Nunes and Ronda Rous read news >>

Twitter reacts to Johny Hendricks missing weight for UFC 207 fight with Neil Magny

Johny Hendricks’ battle with the scale continues.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cody Garbrandt's title-winning victory over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207

Cody Garbrandt promised that his punching power would catch Dominick Cruz. He was right, and he left the UFC 207 co-headliner at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the UFC bantamweight championship.Fil read news >>

Twitter reacts to Amanda Nunes' 48-second starching of Ronda Rousey at UFC 207

Twitter reacts to Joe Lauzon’s questionable decision over Marcin Held at UFC Fight Night 103

The latest chapter of Joe Lauzon’s lengthy UFC career saw the octagon veteran defeat Marcin Held in controversial fashion in Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 103 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>