UFC's Schaub on Mitrione Twitter beef: 'I don't need any more fuel for the fire'

• submit to reddit

brendan-schaub-13.jpgThey were teammates on Rashad Evans‘ squad on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” but Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are now acting a lot more like what they’re going to be next month: opponents.

The two recently got in a round of sparring on Twitter, with Mitrione making fun of Schaub’s recent appearances in grappling and MMA, and Schaub bringing Mitrione’s wife into the mix.

“@BrendanSchaub looks like Adam Sandler f—ed Corky from ‘Life Goes On,’ Mitrione wrote.

“I might look like adam Sandler/corkey mix your wife when we did appearances together sure seemed to like it,” Schaub fired back. “How’s that going by the way?”

The heavyweights will answer for their words next month on the FX-televised preliminary card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place July 27 at KeyArena in Seattle.

Mitrione got the ball rolling on Monday with a playful jab about his former teammate’s chin. He then took aim at Schaub’s recent appearance at the grappling competition Metamoris, which ended in a dreary decision loss to Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu, and his grinding win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“Planned parenthood should stop giving out birth control & start giving out copies of @BrendanSchaub ‘s 15 min. dry humping of Lavar Johnson,” Mitrione wrote.

“Someone asked me if @BrendanSchaub is married. Seriously? I saw his Jiu Jitsu match. How you gonna get married when you refuse to engage?” he continued.

Two months ago, Mitrione, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a knockout of Phil De Fries, was suspended and fined for a transphobic rant against transgender fighter Fallon Fox and is expected to work with the LGBT community to make amends for his action.

Schaub is Mitrione’s first opponent since the incident and didn’t take kindly to the tweets.

“My man remember when you pissed your pants on TUF and you said fighting wasn’t for you. I do and Well it still isn’t,” he responded.

Schaub today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that things started getting tense between the two when Mitrione attended his recent appearance at Metamoris.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” Schaub said. “He came to my match, and it was a little bit weird. Yesterday, my buddy told me he was talking trash. So I got on there and there was some bulls–t, so I called him out, and we just took it from there.

“I think he’s upset because I crossed the line or something like that. He’s making fun of the way I look, and I said, ‘You’re wife doesn’t seem to mind.’ So I think he’s upset with it.”

Indeed, Mitrione seemed to take offense at the escalation.

“Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me of more than someone I considered a friend doing me dirty. I Gotchu @BrendanSchaub #BenedictArnold,” he wrote.

While Mitrione might have gotten a boost from the exchange, the skirmish isn’t providing any more motivation for Schaub, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a decision win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“I don’t need any more fuel for the fire,” he said. “I’ve got work to do. Matt and his boy (former UFC heavyweight Sean) McCorkle sit around and come up with stuff to talk s–t about. I’m training for Matt. He’s just another opponent. I’m going to kill this dude.”

Mitrione, who was unreachable for comment, doesn’t sound convinced.

“Don’t count on seeing @BrendanSchaub on the Maury Povich show anytime soon. Cuz after we fight next month, he’ll know exactly who his dad is,” he wrote.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Brendan Schaub)

UFC President Dana White set the MMA world on fire when he defended the decision of the UFC and Fox Sports to terminate Chael Sonnen's broadcasting contract, but if he plays his cards right, "The American Gangster" could be back. In an interview with MMA Fight Corner's Heidi Fang (at the 5:58 mark), White explained that while the chips are down for Sonnen right now, he could feasibly return to working for the promotion (transcription per Mixedmartialarts.com): "It breaks my heart," [White] said. more

UFC Fight Night: Connecticut receives a pair of additional fights to beef up what is already a solid looking Fox Sports 1 card for September 5th. A couple of brand new fights have been lined up for what is looking like a highly appealing UFC Fight Night event in Foxwoods, Connecticut. Fresh off of his knockout win on the TUF 19 Finale, Derrick Lewis will take on Matt Mitrione, while Charles Oliveira and Nik Lentz duel in a rematch of their 2011 encounter. Lewis (11-2, 1 NC) is 2-0 in the UFC, wi more

Nate Diaz took a shot at a certain cowboy for 'sucking too much UFC d***'. He hardly uses social media as much as other fighters, but it's always interesting when Nate Diaz bitches rants on twitter. This time, the blunt of it is targeted at his former opponent in Donald Cerrone, who fights tomorrow against Jim Miller at UFC Fight Night: Atlantic City. Here's what Diaz had to say: Some people just suck way too much #UFCdick ... An they where cowboy hats — Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) July 15, 2014 more

Cub Swanson likely punched his ticket to a UFC featherweight championship fight on Saturday night. See how Twitter reacted to his win over Jeremy Stephens. Filed under: News, UFC more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

For the third time in UFC history, the company completed two shows in one day from different locations Saturday, with the first card, UFC Fight Night 43, taking place in Auckland, New Zealand. The second card, UFC Fight Night 44, took place at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, and featured a heated main event bout between Cub Swanson and Jeremy Stephens. The fourth-ranked Swanson outworked and outclassed the 11th-ranked Stephens in four of five rounds to capture his sixth consecutive win at 145 po more

After missing weight for the second time at welterweight, TUF 17 winner Kelvin Gastelum had a lot to prove against "Nico" Musoke in the UFC Fight Night 44 co-main event last night (June 28, 2014) from San Antonio, Texas. Following a disappointing start, Gastelum rebounded to put on a show. Last night (Sat., June 28, 2014) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweights Kelvin Gastelum and Nicholas Musoke squared off in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night 44 from AT&T Center in San Antonio, T more

Money remains the major hangup for the boys from Stockton, CA. After UFC lightweight Myles Jury took to Twitter Sunday in an attempt to lure Nate Diaz back into action, the younger Diaz brother again responded only with gripes about his current contract with the promotion. .@NateDiaz209 I respect u a lot, BUT... I confirmed to fight you & have been waiting on you for a week. Are we getting after it or what? — Myles Jury (@FuryJury) June 29, 2014 Bout my money #breakbread till then don't call .. more

For the two or three of you still amused by retired mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Don Frye, I present to you the "Predator Picks" for the UFC 175: "Weidman vs. Machida" pay-per-view (PPV) event, which takes place this Saturday night (July 5, 2014) inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. All the usual talking points are here, including misogyny, irrevocable scrotum damage, crackheads, and more. Enjoy! more