brendan-schaub-13.jpgThey were teammates on Rashad Evans‘ squad on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” but Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are now acting a lot more like what they’re going to be next month: opponents.

The two recently got in a round of sparring on Twitter, with Mitrione making fun of Schaub’s recent appearances in grappling and MMA, and Schaub bringing Mitrione’s wife into the mix.

[email protected] looks like Adam Sandler f—ed Corky from ‘Life Goes On,’ Mitrione wrote.

“I might look like adam Sandler/corkey mix your wife when we did appearances together sure seemed to like it,” Schaub fired back. “How’s that going by the way?”

The heavyweights will answer for their words next month on the FX-televised preliminary card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place July 27 at KeyArena in Seattle.

Mitrione got the ball rolling on Monday with a playful jab about his former teammate’s chin. He then took aim at Schaub’s recent appearance at the grappling competition Metamoris, which ended in a dreary decision loss to Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu, and his grinding win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“Planned parenthood should stop giving out birth control & start giving out copies of @BrendanSchaub ‘s 15 min. dry humping of Lavar Johnson,” Mitrione wrote.

“Someone asked me if @BrendanSchaub is married. Seriously? I saw his Jiu Jitsu match. How you gonna get married when you refuse to engage?” he continued.

Two months ago, Mitrione, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a knockout of Phil De Fries, was suspended and fined for a transphobic rant against transgender fighter Fallon Fox and is expected to work with the LGBT community to make amends for his action.

Schaub is Mitrione’s first opponent since the incident and didn’t take kindly to the tweets.

“My man remember when you pissed your pants on TUF and you said fighting wasn’t for you. I do and Well it still isn’t,” he responded.

Schaub today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that things started getting tense between the two when Mitrione attended his recent appearance at Metamoris.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” Schaub said. “He came to my match, and it was a little bit weird. Yesterday, my buddy told me he was talking trash. So I got on there and there was some bulls–t, so I called him out, and we just took it from there.

“I think he’s upset because I crossed the line or something like that. He’s making fun of the way I look, and I said, ‘You’re wife doesn’t seem to mind.’ So I think he’s upset with it.”

Indeed, Mitrione seemed to take offense at the escalation.

“Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me of more than someone I considered a friend doing me dirty. I Gotchu @BrendanSchaub #BenedictArnold,” he wrote.

While Mitrione might have gotten a boost from the exchange, the skirmish isn’t providing any more motivation for Schaub, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a decision win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“I don’t need any more fuel for the fire,” he said. “I’ve got work to do. Matt and his boy (former UFC heavyweight Sean) McCorkle sit around and come up with stuff to talk s–t about. I’m training for Matt. He’s just another opponent. I’m going to kill this dude.”

Mitrione, who was unreachable for comment, doesn’t sound convinced.

“Don’t count on seeing @BrendanSchaub on the Maury Povich show anytime soon. Cuz after we fight next month, he’ll know exactly who his dad is,” he wrote.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Brendan Schaub)

Twitter reacts to Tony Ferguson's decision win over Rafael dos Anjos at UFC Fight Night 98

Tony Ferguson has been angling for a title shot for a long time and he may have earned it at UFC Fight Night 98 after picking up a career-best win over former champ Rafael dos Anjos.Filed under: Feat read news >>

El Cucuy Strikes Again! Lights Up Twitter | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson set a record for UFC lightweights, winning his ninth consecutive fight by defeating Rafael dos Anjos. The UFC Twitterati lit up the internet! read news >>

Medical suspension or not, UFC Fight Night 98 winner Beneil Dariush now focused on teammates

MEXICO CITY – Beneil Dariush picked up a big win over Rashid Magomedov at UFC Fight Night 98. Now, he’s ready to devote himself to helping his teammates follow suit.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Bellator inks 3-time NCAA Division II champ Romero Cotton, who eyes 2017 debut

Bellator continues to beef up his its roster of amateur-wrestling standouts.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: With a win at UFC 205, could Conor McGregor do the unthinkable?

Could Conor McGregor realistically defend two UFC titles? Would he event want to? And after all the hype that’s gone into UFC 205, are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? All that and more in read news >>

Alvarez vs. McGregor: UFC 205 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

If Thursday afternoon's press conference was any indication of what UFC 205 will look like on Saturday, we're in for one hell of a showdown. Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez will look to defend his read news >>

Champs Conor McGregor, Tyron Woodley clash on Twitter following UFC 205 weigh-ins incident

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor and Tyron Woodley aren’t fighting Saturday at UFC 205. However, that didn’t stop the two UFC champions from clashing on social media following today’s UFC 205 weigh-ins in N read news >>

Conor McGregor, Tyron Woodley Weigh-in Incident Leads to Twitter Blow-up | MMAWeekly.com

Tensions are running high in New York, as UFC champions Conor McGregor and Tyron Woodley clashed at the press conference, the weigh-ins, and on Twitter! read news >>

Twitter reacts to Raquel Pennington's UFC 205 upset of Miesha Tate, and Tate's retirement

Raquel Pennington earned unquestionably the most significant victory of her career when she defeated former UFC champion Miesha Tate on Saturday’s UFC 205 main card at Madison Square Garden in New Yo read news >>

Twitter reacts to Yoel Romero's crowd-silencing TKO of New York's Chris Weidman at UFC 205

Yoel Romero turned Chris Weidman’s dream of fighting in his home state into a nightmare when he defeated the former UFC champion on Saturday’s UFC 205 main card at Madison Square Garden in New York C read news >>