nick-diaz-34.jpgBOSTON – For now, Nick Diaz remains retired. But if he wants to come back, UFC President Dana White has an offer for him: Lyoto Machida in a middleweight contest.

“I talked to Diaz today, and I made him an offer, so we’ll see what happens,” White said. “He had been talking about going to 185 pounds. Machida has been talking about going to 185 pounds. So we wanted to see if he wanted to fight Machida at 185.”

White revealed his offer during a special Q&A session at Boston’s Barrio Cantina, where he appeared as part of a fundraising effort for The Shawn Thornton Foundation at an event billed as the UFC Homecoming.

Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC), the former Strikeforce welterweight champ, hasn’t fought since March, when he lost a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre in a failed bid for the UFC welterweight title. It was Diaz’s second decision loss in a row after he also fell short against Carlos Condit in a UFC 143 bout for the UFC’s interim welterweight title.

After the loss, a frustrated Diaz said he was done with the sport and has thus far kept his word.

Meanwhile, former UFC light heavyweight champion Machida (19-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC) fought earlier this month at UFC 163, where he suffered a hotly contested unanimous-decision loss to Phil Davis. Both before and after the bout, Machida teased the potential for a move down to 185 pounds but ultimately said he’d defer to UFC brass to make the decision.

The offer seems to throw some doubt on a rumored Machida vs. Vitor Belfort fight, which White was also said to be looking to book. Belfort has repeatedly refused to fight at 185 pounds unless he’s granted a shot at the title, but that belt is currently tied up until new champ Chris Weidman rematches former titleholder Anderson Silva in December. Instead, Belfort has expressed a desire to fight outside of the division in hopes of retaining his position as a No. 1 contender in the middleweight class.

“I wanted Machida to fight Vitor Belfort, but Vitor Belfort is his own matchmaker, apparently,” White joked. “He wants to make his own fights.”

White said he’s not sure whether or not Diaz will accept the offer, and an exact date for the matchup has yet to be determined, though November seems the most likely timeframe. But for now, it remains Diaz’s choice. White said he tendered the offer and will now wait for a response.

“They said they’d get back to me,” White told (

For more on the UFC’s schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Nick Diaz)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White on Nick Diaz suspension: 'I have no say in the matter'

  • 24 days ago

UFC president Dana White responded to a fan on Twitter who asked for his thoughts on Nick Diaz's 5 year marijuana suspension. The MMA world cannot stop talking about the NAC's decision to ban the UFC read news >>

UFC insists it won't comment on Nick Diaz suspension, Dana White comments anyway

  • 24 days ago

While the mixed martial arts (MMA) community is up in arms over the "tyrants" at Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is keeping quiet about the five-year sus read news >>

Dana White Responds to Nick Diaz's Suspension

  • 24 days ago

UFC President Dana White stated Tuesday that his opinion about Nick Diaz's suspension doesn't matter because it doesn't carry any weight with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Mike Bohn and John read news >>

Dana White on Nick Diaz suspension: 'I have to figure out all the facts first'

  • 20 days ago

UFC president Dana White responded to a question about Nick Diaz's 5 year suspension during a Q&A session in Australia earlier in the week. read news >>

Dana White on Nick Diaz suspension: He 'doesn't exactly play by the rules'

  • 20 days ago

For a guy who doesn't want to say much about the Nick Diaz situation, Dana White sure has plenty to say. The Nevada Athletic Commission suspended Diaz last week for five years and fined him $165,000 read news >>

Dana White reacts to third offense for Nick Diaz, will wait to 'figure out all the facts first'

  • 19 days ago

The past week has been a non-stop binge of stories about the five-year suspension handed down to UFC Welterweight Nick Diaz by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) and the various reaction by fans read news >>

Video: 19-year-old 'pretty boy' makes Dana White 'shut the hell up'

  • 10 days ago

He may look like someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch ad (Matt Serra's words, not mine) but Sage Northcutt can fight. Something Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White learned the read news >>

UFC vs. WWE: What the World's Largest MMA Promotion Can Learn from NXT

  • 10 days ago

The UFC remains bent on global domination. The world's largest MMA promotion already makes regular visits to Japan, England, Brazil and Canada. By the end of 2015, it will put on its first shows in P read news >>

'Cyborg' Justino to fight at 140 pounds on Invicta FC 15 card headlined by Souza-Grasso

  • 27 days ago

Cristiane Justino will finally move down in weight from her home at 145 pounds, but it won’t be to fight in the UFC against Ronda Rousey. “Cyborg” is set to compete at 140 pounds at Invicta FC 15 in read news >>

Ronda Rousey: Retirement Looms, but ‘I’m Not Done Making History Yet’ (Video)

  • 27 days ago

Ronda Rousey makes no secret that she plans an early retirement from MMA, but she also doesn't plan on walking away before she shatters a few more records. read news >>