UFC: Vitor Belfort Releases Statement About February Drug Test Results

The wait is over. The much-discussed results of Vitor Belfort's February drug test by the Nevada State Athletic Commission are in.

And it's straight from the main source himself. Belfort released a statement on his Instagram account, providing the details about the test and the fallout from it.

The results of the February 7, 2014, test indicated that my testosterone level was above the therapeutic range. While levels slightly outside the normal therapeutic range are not uncommon for some undergoing a TRT regimen, and my doctors immediately modified my therapy to return me to within the therapeutic range (as you can see the 22nd February test results was normal), I do want to acknowledge that the February 7, 2014 test indicated my level was above the range.

Belfort would go on to say he's taken numerous tests since the initial one, and that he has been within the normal range for all of them. He also released the actual results from the tests in a link included with his post.

The Brazilian is synonymous with TRT and has had to deal with claims of cheating from both fans and fighters alike. However, through it all, Dana White never wavered in his support that Belfort was never in the wrong while fighting.

This echoes what Joe Rogan recently said in that the NSAC got rid of TRT exemptions because of the results from Belfort's random test.

While Belfort has finally said what all of us were already assuming and can move on from the February test, he's not entirely out of the woods just yet. As Shaun Al-Shatti of MMA Fighting notes, Belfort will have to undergo a "comprehensive review" on Jun. 17 to ensure he will be able to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 175.

It marks the second failed test Belfort has had in Nevada, which doesn't bode well for his prospects of competing there. The Brazilian had previously failed a test for elevated testosterone following his Pride 32 loss to Dan Henderson.

Belfort is attempting to step in to face Sonnen after Wanderlei Silva was removed from the contest. It's widely believed that Belfort will receive the next title shot if he can defeat Sonnen at UFC 175.

Update: (h/t Bloody Elbow) Jordan Breen presents a breakdown of Belfort's testosterone ranges.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC 189 judges and referees set for 'Aldo vs. McGregor' on July 11 in Las Vegas

  • 23 days ago
  • 11 views

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) announced the referee and judging assignments for the upcoming championship doubleheader at the UFC 189: "Aldo vs. McGregor" pay-per-view (PPV) event, schedule read news >>

UFC releases statement on controversial Jose Aldo drug test in Brazil

  • 22 days ago
  • 190 views

The UFC is supporting featherweight champion Jose Aldo following this week’s controversial drug test ahead of his 145-pound title defense against Conor McGregor at UFC 189, on July 11. On Thursday mo read news >>

UFC releases official statement on Jose Aldo's drug test fiasco

  • 21 days ago
  • 183 views

The UFC has released a statement on the controversial drug test from Jose Aldo that was thrown out. Both Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor were subjected to random drug tests for their featherweight title read news >>

CSAC Hammers Alexander Shlemenko with Three-Year Penalty for Failed Drug Test

  • 12 days ago
  • 14 views

The California State Athletic Commission dropped the hammer on Alexander Shelmenko after he tested positive for an elevated T/E ratio and for steroids. read news >>

Anderson Silva NAC hearing postponed for fourth time

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

Anderson Silva asks for yet another postponement for his hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission, where he will be judged by his failed drug tests before and after his bout with Nick Diaz at UFC read news >>

MMA's PED Crackdown: 2-Year Suspension Handed to Bellator's Mike Richman

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

MMA promotions and state athletic commissions alike are cracking down on performance-enhancing drug use. Hard. The first high-profile victim? Bellator bantamweight Mike "The Marine" Richman. On Tuesd read news >>

Anderson Silva Abandons Olympic Bid, as Commission Hearing Lingers

  • 26 days ago
  • 27 views

No matter the outcome of his drug testing issues in Nevada, it won’t affect Anderson Silva’s participation in the 2016 Olympic Games, because he won't be there. read news >>

Bellator's Mike Richman suspended two years for positive steroid test

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator bantamweight Mike Richman became the first victim of the new California State Athletic Commission's harsh drug-testing penalties, getting a two-year suspension for a positive steroid test. 2 read news >>

Jose Aldo issues statement on UFC 189 drug test fiasco, admits he got naked for illegal drug tester

  • 18 days ago
  • 182 views

No, no, turn around. Do it ... doucement. Do it ... very slowly. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo was taking part in a special media Q&A earlier this week and as e read news >>

Alexander Shlemenko suspended three years, fined $10,000, KO of Manhoef overturned

  • 12 days ago
  • 934 views

In a 7-0 vote, the California State Athletic Commission today suspended ex-Bellator middleweight champ Alexander Shlemenko for three years, fined him $10,000, and overturned his knockout win over Mel read news >>