Alexander GustafssonDespite talk about superfights reaching a fever pitch recently, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones knows whom he wants to fight next.

And guess what, it’s not the oft-mentioned Anderson Silva.

Following UFC 159 on Saturday night in Newark, N.J., the UFC’s youngest champion let it be known that he has his sights set on Swedish stand-up wizard Alexander Gustafsson.

Sporting a 15-1 record with a recent decimation of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua to his credit, the 26-year-old phenom has been on the radar for quite some time.

Currently riding a six-fight winning streak, “The Mauler” is many pundits’ choice to be next in line to challenge Jones’ throne at 205 pounds.  He brings an array of striking skills that he couples with unwavering pressure and timely aggression, and has been a credible threat to everyone in the division since making his UFC debut in 2009.

It should come as no surprise that Jones wants a crack at Gustafsson; as he’s made a career of taking on the toughest the division has to offer, no questions asked.

“I’ve fought Lyoto Machida before, and I fight for the love of the sport,” said Jones. “I fight for the people that support me, but I also fight to prove critics wrong.

“A lot of people believe that I have been successful because I appear to be larger than my opponents.  And with Alexander Gustafsson that would be no more. So fighting Alexander Gustafsson, a guy who is six-feet-six or six-five, pretty long arms himself, long legs; I think that would be a great thing and that’s who I’d love to fight next.”

As with all things UFC, however, company president Dana White has his say.  And he seemed to have reservations about a possible Jones vs. Gustafsson match-up happening anytime soon.

“Alexander should have fought that night, and he didn’t fight,” said White.

“Jon Jones isn’t going to be fighting anytime soon apparently.  He has a compound fracture.  When I went into the Octagon, the bone was sticking out of his toe.  I’m not a doctor.  I don’t know how long that takes to heal, but it can’t be too quick.”

Pressured further, a reserved White played it safe – especially considering the fact he mentioned that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva called him earlier that night about a potential superfight.

“We’ve got to see what happens with Jones, how long he’s going to be out, and we’ll go from there.”

Stitch calls 'bullsh*t' on UFC saying he wasn't fired because of Reebok comments

Stitch has responded to the UFC's recent statements that he wasn't fired because of his Reebok statements. Jacob 'Stitch' Duran says he was fired because of his comments to Bloody Elbow about cutmen read news >>

Dana White calls Tito Ortiz's claims on Ronda Rousey vs. Cyborg Justino 'a total lie'

The news making the rounds Saturday claiming that Dana White offered Cyborg Justino a fight against UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey was a surprise to many. Among those most surprised, read news >>

Paul Felder vs Ross Pearson Lightweight match set for UFC 191 in Las Vegas

Don't blink! The recent unanimous decision loss to Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16 did not sit so well for unorthodox striker Paul Felder (10-1), who is now tapped to collide with fellow Lightweight b read news >>

Anthony Johnson 'very surprised' Alexander Gustafsson is getting next title shot

Anthony Johnson left Alexander Gustafsson bloodied and beaten on the mat back in January in Sweden, the victim of a vicious first-round knockout. Now, though, in his next fight, Gustafsson will be ge read news >>

UFC Nashville Video: The Exchange with Ovince Saint Preux

Light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux talks about his recent wins, his game plan, his training and more as he prepares to battle Glover Teixeira at Fight Night Nashville. read news >>

GLORY 23: Raymond Daniels: The nicest guy you never want to meet in the ring

In a recent interview with the Three Amigos Podcast, GLORY welterweight contender, Raymond Daniels discusses his upcoming title bout with Nieky Holzken, where Paul Daley fits in the kickboxing big pi read news >>

Things go south when Matt Mitrione calls out 'Bigfoot' Silva for UFC 193 in Australia

If one veteran gets his wish, November’s UFC 193 event in Australia will soon have a new heavyweight clash. It just doesn’t look likely.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Coach: Fedor Emelianenko an 'easy fight' for Jon Jones

"I have not even spoken to Jon about it, but looking at how, you know, Fedor's fights towards the end of his career [went], I think unless he changed something, I think it's an easy fight for Jon." I read news >>

Coach: Fedor would be an easy fight for Jon Jones

Mike Winkeljohn likes Jon Jones' chances against the Russian MMA legend and free agent Fedor Emelianenko. read news >>

Cris Cyborg threatens Ronda Rousey with legal action for steroid 'lies' in the media

When Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen were scheduled to fight back in 2013, "Bones" decided the best way to talk trash was to accuse "The American Gangster" of doing steroids his entire career, an accusati read news >>