BRISBANE, Australia – Soa Palelei didn’t wait around to find out whether he could hang with Pat Barry on the feet. Instead the Australian fighter parlayed an early takedown into a knockout victory, stopping Barry at 2:09 of the first round.
The heavyweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC Fight Night 33 event at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Australia. It aired on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on FOX Sports 2 and MMAjunkie.
Palelei planted Barry on his back early on in the fight, eating a knee strike on his way in but quickly moving from half-guard to full mount. From there, a series of short punches was all it took to make Barry go limp on the mat, which forced referee Steve Percival to step in.
Barry (8-7 MMA, 5-7 UFC) has lost two straight in the UFC. Palelei (20-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) has now won 10 straight.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 33 results include:
- Soa Palelei def. Pat Barry via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:09
- Clint Hester def. Dylan Andrews via TKO (injury) – Round 2, 5:00
- Bethe Correia def. Julie Kedzie via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Takeya Mizugaki def. Nam Phan via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-28)
- Caio Magalhaes def. Nick Ring via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Justin Scoggins def. Richie Vaculik via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:43
- Krzysztof Jotko def. Bruno Santos via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Alex Garcia def. Ben Wall via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:43
For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
Steven Marrocco contributed to this report on-site in Brisbane.
view original article >>