Daniel-Cormier-vs-Jon-JonesDaniel Cormier has been lobbying for a title fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones since before he made his way from Strikeforce to the UFC.  The undefeated former heavyweight contender addressed Jones directly on the most recent edition of The Great MMA Debate Podcast and respectfully asked for the opportunity to fight for the belt.

“Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier.  Bro, brother, I’m asking nicely.  I’m not being aggressive.  I’m not trying to be confrontational Jon.  I’m just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight?  Please brother.  Make a decision,” said Cormier.

“I heard that he has the ability to say who he wants to fight,” he added.

Jones responded while at the Arnold’s in Columbus, Ohio, over the weekend and denied Cormier’s request.

“My response to DC is, hey DC, you know what, I really respect what you’ve done with losing that weight.  I think that’s extremely inspirational to a lot of people.  It shows the type of heart that you have that you’re willing to sacrifice those meals and get yourself to 205.  So first and foremost, since you’re speaking more respectfully, I’ll say congratulations on your victory and on your weight loss,” said Jones.

“As far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now only because of the fact that you haven’t really fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter.  I’m kind of getting sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like cans until they get a title shot.  I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender, and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well known than Patrick Cummins.  Fight against Rashad (Evans).  Fight against somebody legit man, and then I would think it would be a little bit more appropriate to give you that title shot,” added the light heavyweight champ.

Cormier had initially been slated to fight Evans at UFC 170, but an injury forced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of the fight. Cormier instead wound up fighting Cummins, stopping him via TKO at the 1:19 mark of the first round.

Jones next puts his title on the line against Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event on April 26 at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Md.

Jon Jones goes on epic Twitter rant on Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier

Jon Jones goes on epic Twitter rant on light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and Anthony "Rumble" JohnsonInterim light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who was taken off UFC 200 afterfai read news >>

Jon Jones Tears into Daniel Cormier, Anthony Johnson on Social Media

Just because Jon Jones isn't able to compete right now doesn't mean he can't hear all the smack that his constituents are talking. He made that clear on Twitter Wednesday night when he unleashed a br read news >>

Jon Jones goes after Daniel Cormier, Anthony Johnson on Twitter after 'irrelevant' comments

Jon Jones may be inactive while he waits for his fate with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) to unfold following a flunked UFC 200 pre-fight drug test, but it's clear he's still very aware of what' read news >>

Jon Jones Goes on Twitter Rampage Against Light Heavyweight Division | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones put the 205-pound division on blast on Wednesday, unleashing a Twitter tirade on champion Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson. read news >>

Daniel Cormier worried UFC 206 will get lost without Georges St-Pierre

Daniel Cormier has a financial investment in Georges St-Pierre fighting again read news >>

Jon Jones' Attorney Says Tested Product Was Contaminated

Howard Jacobs, an attorney for former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, has stated the fighter recently tested positive for banned substances due to a contaminated product. Jones’ showdown wi read news >>

Jon Jones' Attorney Claims Tests Prove Supplement was Tainted | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones' attorney, Howard Jacobs, claimed his client's positive UFC 200 drug test result stemmed from a contaminated product. read news >>

Despite White's comments, Anthony Johnson never considered Jon Jones matchup realistic

Anthony Johnson was as puzzled as anyone when UFC President Dana White said that instead of giving “Rumble” a title shot against light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier in his next fight, he wanted read news >>

Trading Shots: Would a successful tainted supplement defense earn Jon Jones a clean slate with fans?

Jon Jones' team says it is readying a defense after separate tests revealed unlisted banned substances in one of the former champ's supplements. If it works, will that convince fans and fellow fighte read news >>

Daniel Cormier: Conor McGregor is the 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin of the UFC