Daniel-Cormier-vs-Jon-JonesDaniel Cormier has been lobbying for a title fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones since before he made his way from Strikeforce to the UFC.  The undefeated former heavyweight contender addressed Jones directly on the most recent edition of The Great MMA Debate Podcast and respectfully asked for the opportunity to fight for the belt.

“Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier.  Bro, brother, I’m asking nicely.  I’m not being aggressive.  I’m not trying to be confrontational Jon.  I’m just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight?  Please brother.  Make a decision,” said Cormier.

“I heard that he has the ability to say who he wants to fight,” he added.

Jones responded while at the Arnold’s in Columbus, Ohio, over the weekend and denied Cormier’s request.

“My response to DC is, hey DC, you know what, I really respect what you’ve done with losing that weight.  I think that’s extremely inspirational to a lot of people.  It shows the type of heart that you have that you’re willing to sacrifice those meals and get yourself to 205.  So first and foremost, since you’re speaking more respectfully, I’ll say congratulations on your victory and on your weight loss,” said Jones.

“As far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now only because of the fact that you haven’t really fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter.  I’m kind of getting sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like cans until they get a title shot.  I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender, and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well known than Patrick Cummins.  Fight against Rashad (Evans).  Fight against somebody legit man, and then I would think it would be a little bit more appropriate to give you that title shot,” added the light heavyweight champ.

Cormier had initially been slated to fight Evans at UFC 170, but an injury forced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of the fight. Cormier instead wound up fighting Cummins, stopping him via TKO at the 1:19 mark of the first round.

Jones next puts his title on the line against Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event on April 26 at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Md.

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones still planning jump to heavyweight, awaits 'perfect opponent'

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has flip-flopped on the possibility of moving up to the heavyweight division over the years. Currently, however, he said it’s eventually going to happe read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' fight again

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey isn’t ready to call it a career just yet, but she admits she needs a little time to figure out her next move.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Out of the Picture, Rumble Willing to Wait for Daniel Cormier (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones isn't even on his radar, as Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is willing to wait forever to challenge UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

UFC Trash Talk: 2016 Was a Hell of a Year for Throwing Verbal Jabs | MMAWeekly.com

Let's take a look back on a year of some of the best trash talk in UFC history. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Future in UFC

UFC fighter Ronda Rousey announced that she would take some time to contemplate her future in the sport after being knocked out by Amanda Nunes in 48 seconds at UFC 207. Rousey spoke about her pendin read news >>

UFC 207 Technical Recap: How Nunes and Garbrandt Came out on Top

UFC 207 is in the books, and we have a brand-new men's bantamweight champion to go along with what looks like a dominant women's bantamweight champion after Cody Garbrandt upset Dominick Cruz to take read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' to fight again

Amanda Nunes Advice to Ronda Rousey: 'Very Bad Mistake' (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

After Amanda Nunes defended her UFC women's bantamweight title against Ronda Rousey at UFC 207, she had some words of advice for the former champion. read news >>

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey - Fantasy Rewind

UFC 207 is in the books and it's time to recap how the night went for fantasy UFC pickers. Who had Amanda Nunes and Cody Garbrandt pulling the upsets? Find out here. read news >>