Daniel-Cormier-vs-Jon-JonesDaniel Cormier has been lobbying for a title fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones since before he made his way from Strikeforce to the UFC.  The undefeated former heavyweight contender addressed Jones directly on the most recent edition of The Great MMA Debate Podcast and respectfully asked for the opportunity to fight for the belt.

“Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier.  Bro, brother, I’m asking nicely.  I’m not being aggressive.  I’m not trying to be confrontational Jon.  I’m just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight?  Please brother.  Make a decision,” said Cormier.

“I heard that he has the ability to say who he wants to fight,” he added.

Jones responded while at the Arnold’s in Columbus, Ohio, over the weekend and denied Cormier’s request.

“My response to DC is, hey DC, you know what, I really respect what you’ve done with losing that weight.  I think that’s extremely inspirational to a lot of people.  It shows the type of heart that you have that you’re willing to sacrifice those meals and get yourself to 205.  So first and foremost, since you’re speaking more respectfully, I’ll say congratulations on your victory and on your weight loss,” said Jones.

“As far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now only because of the fact that you haven’t really fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter.  I’m kind of getting sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like cans until they get a title shot.  I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender, and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well known than Patrick Cummins.  Fight against Rashad (Evans).  Fight against somebody legit man, and then I would think it would be a little bit more appropriate to give you that title shot,” added the light heavyweight champ.

Cormier had initially been slated to fight Evans at UFC 170, but an injury forced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of the fight. Cormier instead wound up fighting Cummins, stopping him via TKO at the 1:19 mark of the first round.

Jones next puts his title on the line against Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event on April 26 at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Md.

UFC 200 Video: Counterpunch – Cormier vs. Jones 2

Insults fly when UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and interim titleholder Jon Jones discuss their upcoming rematch in a heated interview. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered Podcast: Jon Jones Weighs in on UFC 200 and Daniel Cormier

UFC 200 headliner Jon Jones joins Matt Serra and Jim Norton in episode 4 of UFC Unfiltered. The guys discuss UFC 200, why Daniel Cormier is a 'Hater,' and much more. read news >>

VIDEO: Heading into UFC 200, Jon Jones Reflects on Pressure-Filled UFC 100 Performance

Getting ready to fight Daniel Cormier at UFC 200, interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones reflects on his pressure-filled UFC 100 performance. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Has No Illusions About Jon Jones at UFC 200

UFC 200 is the biggest event of the year, and the fight at the top of the card carries a long-ranging narrative with it. In the main event, light heavyweight kingpin and former Olympic wrestler Danie read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Cormier vs. Jones 2 — It’s Time Preview (Full Episode)

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and interim titleholder Jon Jones prepare to unify that division’s belt, and Brock Lesnar returns at UFC 200. read news >>

The Question: Is Jon Jones More Vulnerable to Daniel Cormier in UFC 200 Rematch?

When Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier meet at UFC 200 on July 9, the first order of business will be adding a second and potentially final chapter to their protracted personal beef. The second item on th read news >>

Daniel Cormier Reacts to Jon Jones' UFC 200 Removal, Potential Doping Violation

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier admitted to being "very sad" and "very disappointed" by the news that Jon Jones has been pulled from their title fight at UFC 200 because of a potential read news >>

UFC 200 Embedded, Episode 5: Dana White Drops the Jon Jones Bomb on Daniel Cormier

On Episode 5 of UFC 200 Embedded, UFC president Dana White informs light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier that Jon Jones is out of the title fight. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva Announced for UFC 200: Latest Details, Reaction

Anderson Silva will replace Jon Jones at UFC 200 on Saturday and fight Daniel Cormier in a non-title bout. Brazil's Globo reported the news Thursday (via FloSports' Jeremy Botter). TMZ confirmed the read news >>