Daniel-Cormier-vs-Jon-JonesDaniel Cormier has been lobbying for a title fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones since before he made his way from Strikeforce to the UFC.  The undefeated former heavyweight contender addressed Jones directly on the most recent edition of The Great MMA Debate Podcast and respectfully asked for the opportunity to fight for the belt.

“Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier.  Bro, brother, I’m asking nicely.  I’m not being aggressive.  I’m not trying to be confrontational Jon.  I’m just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight?  Please brother.  Make a decision,” said Cormier.

“I heard that he has the ability to say who he wants to fight,” he added.

Jones responded while at the Arnold’s in Columbus, Ohio, over the weekend and denied Cormier’s request.

“My response to DC is, hey DC, you know what, I really respect what you’ve done with losing that weight.  I think that’s extremely inspirational to a lot of people.  It shows the type of heart that you have that you’re willing to sacrifice those meals and get yourself to 205.  So first and foremost, since you’re speaking more respectfully, I’ll say congratulations on your victory and on your weight loss,” said Jones.

“As far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now only because of the fact that you haven’t really fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter.  I’m kind of getting sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like cans until they get a title shot.  I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender, and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well known than Patrick Cummins.  Fight against Rashad (Evans).  Fight against somebody legit man, and then I would think it would be a little bit more appropriate to give you that title shot,” added the light heavyweight champ.

Cormier had initially been slated to fight Evans at UFC 170, but an injury forced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of the fight. Cormier instead wound up fighting Cummins, stopping him via TKO at the 1:19 mark of the first round.

Jones next puts his title on the line against Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event on April 26 at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Md.

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls out Rumble Johnson After UFC 202 Win, Dismisses Jon Jones

Following Anthony Johnson's 13-second knockout of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202, Johnson immediately called for a rematch against champion Daniel Cormier, who was in the audience. Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Dana White Wants to Make Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for a Shot at Daniel Cormier

Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier are both ready to rematch each other, but UFC president Dana White may have other plans, which include Jon Jones. read news >>

Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar Suspensions Reportedly May Be Shortened

Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar, who each tested positive for banned substances before UFC 200, may face only a maximum one-year ban because the drug they took could have a "credible non-doping explanatio read news >>

VIDEO: Watch Jon Jones ‘Spar’ with Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa

Watch Jon Jones get some "sparring" in with Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa. read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

Jon Jones Takes Plea Deal in Drag Racing Case

Jon Jones, already on probation for a felony hit-and-run case, accepted a plea deal in Albuquerque Metropolitan Court on Thursday. read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

Jon Jones Says He’ll Be Back in the Octagon ‘Really Soon’

UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sounds as if he's come into some good news regarding his UFC Anti-Doping Policy case. read news >>