Daniel-Cormier-vs-Jon-JonesDaniel Cormier has been lobbying for a title fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones since before he made his way from Strikeforce to the UFC.  The undefeated former heavyweight contender addressed Jones directly on the most recent edition of The Great MMA Debate Podcast and respectfully asked for the opportunity to fight for the belt.

“Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier.  Bro, brother, I’m asking nicely.  I’m not being aggressive.  I’m not trying to be confrontational Jon.  I’m just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight?  Please brother.  Make a decision,” said Cormier.

“I heard that he has the ability to say who he wants to fight,” he added.

Jones responded while at the Arnold’s in Columbus, Ohio, over the weekend and denied Cormier’s request.

“My response to DC is, hey DC, you know what, I really respect what you’ve done with losing that weight.  I think that’s extremely inspirational to a lot of people.  It shows the type of heart that you have that you’re willing to sacrifice those meals and get yourself to 205.  So first and foremost, since you’re speaking more respectfully, I’ll say congratulations on your victory and on your weight loss,” said Jones.

“As far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now only because of the fact that you haven’t really fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter.  I’m kind of getting sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like cans until they get a title shot.  I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender, and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well known than Patrick Cummins.  Fight against Rashad (Evans).  Fight against somebody legit man, and then I would think it would be a little bit more appropriate to give you that title shot,” added the light heavyweight champ.

Cormier had initially been slated to fight Evans at UFC 170, but an injury forced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of the fight. Cormier instead wound up fighting Cummins, stopping him via TKO at the 1:19 mark of the first round.

Jones next puts his title on the line against Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event on April 26 at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Md.

Daniel Cormier Responds to Jon Jones' Comments

UFC fighter Daniel Cormier apparently did not appreciate that Jon Jones called him a coward when he appeared on The MMA Hour on Monday (h/t Shaun Al-Shatti of MMAFighting.com). Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier Hot Tweets: Liars, Cowards, and Junkies… Oh My!

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier may not be fighting at UFC 197 as planned, but that hasn't stopped them from continuing to trash each other on Twitter. read news >>

Jon Jones: OSP beating me would be 'greatest day' of UFC champ Daniel Cormier's life

Don’t let Jon Jones’ recent Twitter battle with rival Daniel Cormier cause any confusion: “Bones” is 100 percent focused on new UFC 197 opponent Ovince Saint Preux, he said.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

Champ Daniel Cormier doesn't want to wait for UFC-NY debut for Jon Jones rematch

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is itching to get back in the octagon. Unfortunately, he’ll have to wait until his body allows him to do so.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 197: Jones vs Saint Preux – Chance of a Lifetime Video

Jon Jones doesn't normally take short-noticefights. But with Daniel Cormier forced to withdraw from UFC 197, Jones accepted a fight with Ovince Saint Preux. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

UFC 197’s Jon Jones: I'd be honored to headline MSG, but would Daniel Cormier?

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones welcomed a showdown with rival champ Daniel Cormier at UFC 205, but he’s not holding all the cards when it comes to his future. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>