matt-mitrione-20.jpgTORONTO – Few fighters are able to step into the UFC’s octagon and compete at the highest level of the sport with no prior professional experience, but that’s exactly what heavyweight Matt Mitrione has done.

Growing up in front of the UFC’s audience hasn’t been easy on Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC), and as just one of two active fighters on the roster to have competed in all of his professional bouts inside the octagon, “Meathead” admits he’s felt the pressures involved with having to learn the sport against the highest level of opposition.

“It’s stressful,” Mitrione told of growing up in the UFC. “That’s probably the most stress I get versus performance or whatever else is the fact that whatever I do is on the fly.”

Typically fighters must put together a strong MMA record against quality opponents in order to even be considered for a roster spot, but Mitrione was a special case.

The former NFL player was recruited as a cast member for “The Ultimate Fighter 10? in 2009, and despite a quick submission loss in the quarterfinal round was presented with the opportunity to make his official MMA debut in the UFC at the conclusion of the series.

Mitrione admits to having minimal knowledge of the sport when filming began for the show, which he claims is the reason for his early exit from the tournament.

“I was training, training from day one, for six months to the time I was on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ so I didn’t know s–t from anything,” Mitrione said. “I knew nothing at all. So by the time I go there and they’re like, ‘Oh you got submitted by James McSweeney.’ I didn’t know what the hell a guillotine was when I got caught in a guillotine.”

From a time when he didn’t even know the names of techniques commonly used in MMA, Mitrione has developed his skillset to the point where he is considered one of the heavyweight division’s most exciting fighters.

Even though he is older and still much less experienced than a majority of his fellow UFC heavyweights, Mitrione isn’t worried about whether or not time is on his side and knows if he continues to win fights, his chance of earning a world title are just as good as anyone else.

“It could be (a race against time), but I’m not worried about what I could accomplish,” Mitrione said. “My goals, my aspirations are to get a belt.”

With a UFC 165 main card bout against Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) just around the corner, Mitrione will get his opportunity to move another step closer to a title fight. And while some fighters in his situation would be eager to make the most of their time and attempt to rush up the rankings, Mitrione is happy with how he’s been developed by UFC matchmakers and will continue to take any fight that’s offered until the championship is around his waist.

“The UFC has me on a good pace,” Mitrione said. “They have me jump up when it’s time to jump up and they have me fall back when it’s time to fall back, and I’m good with that, it doesn’t matter. As long as I give 100 percent in any situation that I’m in, I’m cool with that.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Matt Mitrione calls out UFC VP Matt Hughes following Nick Diaz tweet

Matt Mitrione is willing to call out fellow fighters – even if he now technically works for them. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Morning Report: Matt Mitrione blasts 'sellout' Matt Hughes for calling Nick Diaz 'a punk'

As you may have heard, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz was suspended five years by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) earlier this week due to a controversial failed drug test for marijuana metabolites. read news >>

Matt Mitrione blasts 'sellout' UFC exec Matt Hughes for comments on Nick Diaz

Twitter Beef: Matt Mitrione isn't happy with the fighter turned UFC executive for calling Nick Diaz a punk while addressing the situation. On Thursday evening, Matt Hughes commented on Nick Diaz's ri read news >>

Urijah Faber prepared Paige VanZant 'a long time ago' for haters

'The California Kid' feels as though budding star Paige VanZant has "pretty girl syndrome", which makes her a target for angry fans. UFC strawweight talent Paige VanZant is quickly becoming one of th read news >>

Matt Mitrione says Mayweather doesn't belong on P4P list; calls out Travis Browne

Matt Mitrione was recently interviewed by the Three Amigos Podcast where he gave his fight prediction and ranked Money Mayweather on the P4P greatest list, and even issued a call-out to Travis Browne read news >>

‘Shogun’ Rua undergoes surgery, eyes early 2016 return to the UFC

Mauricio Rua went under the knife in Sao Paulo, and feels "good as new". "I had surgery on my right shoulder this past Sunday in Sao Paulo, with my orthopedist Dr. Daniel Delaquilla, and everything w read news >>

Prodigy! Watch child boxing star Evnika Saadvakass' insane speed and blistering mitt work

Child boxing star Evnika Saadvakass is growing deadlier by the day as she continues to train with her father Rustram in their home in Voronezh, Russia. The eight-year-old Turkish YouTube striking sen read news >>

Is Travis Browne hiding from Matt Mitrione?

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight hurter Matt Mitrione wants to fight Travis Browne, after "Hapa" asked for a "Meathead" fight in November. Well, according to The Ultimate Fighter (TUF read news >>

Conor McGregor feels he is 'eye to eye' with Floyd Mayweather

The brash UFC champion adds more fuel to the Rousey vs Mayweather discussion by comparing his accomplishments to those of the boxing superstar when he was his age. The MMA vs boxing discussion is a v read news >>

Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson feels, if media writes 'bullsh*t' they should write something good as well.

The hard-hatting 205-pounder feels, if journalists write something bad about him, they should not shy away from writing something good as well. After Anthony Johnson knocked out Jimi Manuwa at UFC 19 read news >>