Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira may be viewed as an elder statesman of mixed martial arts, but that doesn’t mean “Minotauro” has plans to call it quits anytime soon.

“Man, you [media] keep on saying that [I should walk away]. They’re trying to retire me,” Nogueira said at the UFC 153 post-fight press conference Saturday night. “I can still fight. I feel amazing. I’m still hungry. I still feel like I can go and fight and throw some good things. Physically, I feel good. I know my arm broke, but I had good physical therapy, and I’ve been working [an extra] hour every day.”

The former Pride Fighting Championships ace returned to action at UFC 153 following a 10-month layoff to defeat Dave Herman in the evening’s co-main event. Nogueira was shelved by ex-UFC champ Frank Mir this past December when he refused to tap to a kimura and instead allowed his right humerus to snap at UFC 140.

“I have 16 screws in my arm, and I didn’t know if I was coming back too soon,” said Nogueira. “I want to say thank you to the UFC. When I broke my arm, I had a lot of support from Mr. Dana White. I flew in his plane when I came back from [UFC 140 in] Canada, and [the UFC] sent me to the best doctors. They fixed my arm and got it ready 10 months later.”

The 36-year-old appeared no worse for the wear on Saturday night at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, hanging with Herman through the scrambles in round one while consistently using his repaired right arm to fire off straights that continually connected with Herman’s visage.

It would be Nogueira’s left that would deliver the most significant shot of the fight, however, as the Brazilian clipped Herman with a lead hook in round two that sent the American crashing to the canvas. Though Herman managed to escape an armbar attempt and return to his feet, Nogueira immediately reestablished ground control after executing a trip, passing to mount before searching for the opportunity to finish the fight.

Herman, who previously claimed that jiu-jitsu did not work on him, once again found himself trapped in an armbar, but this time, there was no escape. Though he tried gamely to roll away from the pressure, the former EliteXC talent’s efforts only served to better Nogueira’s position. With nowhere to go, Herman tapped out at 4:31 of round two.

“There will always be a special taste to [this win], obviously, because [I won it with] jiu-jitsu, a Brazilian martial art,” said Nogueira. “I see many different guys out there saying it, but it’s a lie that jiu-jitsu doesn’t work. Now, all fighters who do not know jiu-jitsu are at a disadvantage. It was really [great] to get the submission, because I haven’t had a submission in MMA for some time. I was very happy to [earn the win] with the support of the Rio crowd.”

Moving forward, Nogueira says he wants to fight the best the UFC has to offer, provided his opposition does not come in the form of friend, training partner and reigning heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos.

“I want to fight Top 10 guys. I can’t ask for the belt, because my buddy, Junior dos Santos, [is the champion],” said Nogueira. “He’s kind of my brother, and I’m going to be helping him for the next two weeks for his fight against Cain [Velasquez]. But I want to fight against the best guys.”

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

  • 28 days ago
  • 33 views

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

UFC's Jimy Hettes mulling retirement after latest in long line of injury withdrawals

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Jimy Hettes was considered a top featherweight prospect when he made his UFC debut in August 2011. Less than five years and a mere six fights later, however, Hettes said he could be done fighting for read news >>

Another UFC Boston Scratch: Jimy Hettes Injured and Mulling Retirement

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed that featherweight Jimy Hettes has had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 81 bout with Charles Rosa. read news >>

Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details

  • 19 days ago
  • 21 views

As expected former two-division champ and 2015 UFC Hall of Fame inductee B.J. Penn has ended his retirement. What’s next, though? That’s still to be determined.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

  • 19 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Brad Imes on retirement: They told me I was going to die or become a vegetable

  • 18 days ago
  • 9 views

Former college football player and “The Ultimate Fighter 2” runner-up Brad Imes found some success and plenty of fun in MMA. But following his retirement, he faced some dark days.Filed under: News, U read news >>

BJ Penn Guarantees That He’ll Be Fighting at UFC 196

  • 3 days ago
  • 14 views

Former two-division UFC champion B.J. Penn return from retirement will take place at UFC 196. He guarantees it. read news >>

22-fight UFC veteran Chris Leben comes out of retirement to sign with Bellator

  • 2 days ago
  • 9 views

In a week that included the signing of former UFC and WEC champion, as well as a veteran heavyweight, Bellator added another big name to its roster on Friday. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

  • a day ago
  • 9 views

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>