UFC 147 Update: Rich Franklin Replaces Injured Vitor Belfort, Rematches Wanderlei Silva in Brazil



Rich Franklin and Wanderlei Silva will meet for the second time at UFC 147.

Promotion officials announced Wednesday that the former middleweight champion will replace the injured Vitor Belfort in the June 23 headliner, which takes place at Felipe Drumond Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The bout will be contested at a 190-pound catch weight.

Belfort had been slated to square off with Silva in a rematch of their 1998 confrontation, but “The Phenom” was forced to withdraw from the planned booking after sustaining a broken hand. In addition to the newly announced headliner, UFC 147 will also feature a heavyweight clash pitting Fabricio Werdum against Mike Russow.

Franklin, 37, won the UFC middleweight title in 2005 and went on to defend the belt twice successfully before dropping it to Anderson Silva. After failing to recapture the 185-pound strap in a rematch with “The Spider,” Franklin won a unanimous decision over “The Axe Murder” at UFC 99 nearly three years ago. Since that victory, “Ace” has lost two of three, most recently falling by unanimous decision to Forrest Griffin at UFC 126 in February 2011.

Two years younger than his opponent, Silva formerly reigned as Pride Fighting Championships’ 205-pound champion. The Brazilian debuted with the UFC in 2007 and made the cut to middleweight in 2010, outpointing Michael Bisping at UFC 110 after falling to Franklin eight months earlier. Following a 27-second knockout defeat at the hands of Chris Leben last July, Silva rebounded with a victory over ex-Strikeforce champion Cung Le, earning a technical knockout over the Californian on Nov. 19 at UFC 139.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 21 hours ago
  • 1 views

Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort won’t go toe-to-toe at UFC 181. Scheduled to defend his UFC middleweight title on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas, Nevada, Weidman has suffered a hand injury and was forced out of read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

On last week's edition of The MMA Beat, the panelists discussed a variety of interesting topics, including Eddie Alvarez singing with the UFC, his match-up against Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva's f read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 21 views

Can't knock (out) the confidence. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder, Chris Weidman, recently said if he doesn't get a stoppage victory over Vitor Belfort when they collide read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 20 views

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC president Dana White says Wanderlei Silva would have been better off testing positive to a banned substance than running from the random drug test. read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 46 views

Surging UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza isn't scheduled to fight for the UFC middleweight championship this year, but apparently, he's anxious for a high-profile matchup before 2015 begins. read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 86 views

Wanderlei Silva will never fight again. More than a year after his last fight inside the Octagon, and still involved a controversy with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the former PRIDE champion has a read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 65 views

The mma legend, former Pride champ and UFC fan favorite released a video today announcing his retirement and harshly criticizing the UFC. Big news from Brazil. MMA legend Wanderlei Silva today releas read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 11 views

Video: Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight and part-time light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva has retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) after a career that spanned nearly 20 years, includi read news >>