Rory MacDonald at UFC 129Rory “Ares” MacDonald (12-1) has been cleaning house since he emerged into the UFC’s welterweight division in 2010.

The 22-year-old has gone 3-1 in the division, with big wins over the likes of Mike Pyle and Nate Diaz, and has been considered the next big thing in the welterweight division.

Now, the Tristar Gym pupil will face the little known fighter Che Mills at UFC 145 in Atlanta, and the pressure is all on him to look dominant.  Stepping into the Octagon, MacDonald has looked more and more like a true veteran of the game. He hasn’t gotten complacent, however, as he takes the former Cage Rage champion very seriously.

“He’s hungry, he wants to prove himself, and he wants to put his name on the map and a hungry fighter is a dangerous one, so I’m taking it very seriously,” MacDonald told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I didn’t really know him, but obviously he’s in the UFC, so I thought he’s a good fighter.  A lot of people thought I would be surprised, but not really.  I just take the fights that are given to me and it’s my job to be at my best.  I plan on putting on a good show whoever it is I’m put against.”

Since many pundits and fans have been touting MacDonald as the next Georges St-Pierre, there’s no shortage of people who believe that MacDonald should be fighting a big name in the division, but he knows his time will come.

Even though many people have written off Mills, MacDonald remains cognizant of the Britt’s striking power and believes that at the end of the day he just has too many weapons against Mills not to come out on top.

“Of course I want to fight the guys who are more recognizable.  I mean, fans want to see those fights, right?   At the same time, I’m just happy to be fighting in the UFC; it doesn’t really matter who I’m fighting.  I know everyone is good and eventually or maybe in the next fight I’ll get a top five guy and I can prove to anyone where I belong.

“I think he’s a good striker and he’s got some dangerous things in his game, a dominant striker.  I feel like I’m more of a balanced fighter and I’m dangerous everywhere as where he is only dangerous in part of the game.”

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what people think MacDonald will end up becoming, because MacDonald knows he’s got to overcome the present first.  And for the 22-year-old, he’ll just take everything as it comes until one day he has finally proven where he belongs.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Julianna Pena Wants a Title Shot After Valentina Shevchenko or She Quits | MMAWeekly.com

Julianna Pena headlines her first UFC when she squares off with Valentina Shevchenko at UFC on FOX 23 in Denver, but she's not happy about it. read news >>

UFC 206: The Thrill and The Agony Video | MMAWeekly.com

Go behind the scenes for the highs and lows of UFC 206 featuring Cub Swanson, Dooho Choi, Donald Cerrone, Matt Brown, Anthony Pettis, and Max Holloway. read news >>

UFC on FOX 22 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 22 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out some of those reactions. read news >>

After UFC on FOX 22 loss, Sage Northcutt again changing divisions

Sage Northcutt is returning to the division where his UFC career began in such promising fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Hector Sandoval injured hip in first round against Fredy Serrano

SACRAMENTO – UFC flyweight Hector Sandoval didn’t think much of Freddy Serrano and predicted a second-round finish in their UFC Fight Pass prelim at UFC on FOX 22. Fate had something else in mind.Fil read news >>

Disappointed Sultan Aliev admits playing it safe against Bojan Velickovic at UFC on FOX 22

SACRAMENTO – After nearly two years on the sidelines and a knockout loss in his UFC debut, welterweight Sultan Aliev admitted he was weighed down by pressure at UFC on FOX 22.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC-debut win, Paul Craig 'won't accept anything less' than top-15 competition

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – After handing Luis Henrique da Silva his first career loss, Scottish light heavyweight Paul Craig is already thinking big: "I’m going to make waves within the UFC’s light-heavywe read news >>

UFC on FOX 22's Eddie Wineland wants off UFC Fight Pass so he can avoid Best Buy

SACRAMENTO – Among UFC bantamweight Eddie Wineland’s first words backstage to UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby were “no more Fight Pass,” with an expletive thrown in for good measure.Filed under: Featured read news >>

The UFC Women's Featherweight Title Is a Conspiracy in the Making

It’s been the better part of a week now, and still none of this is sitting right. The UFC announced last week UFC 208 would feature a women’s featherweight title fight, a concession to the excellence read news >>

10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22: Waterson, Gall and uncensored Cruz vs. Garbrandt

Check out 10 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 22 – some of which took place in the cage and a few outside of it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>