Some opportunities come once in a lifetime.  For Michael “Mayday” McDonald, one such opportunity came at UFC 145 against Miguel Torres.

McDonald floored the former WEC bantamweight champion with an uppercut and followed with a few punches that left Torres motionless in the Octagon.

Back just four years ago, McDonald envisioned fighting then world champion Torres as he was cutting his teeth in the Gladiator Challenge promotion. But as UFC 145 came to a close, the 21-year-old’s heart was overwhelmed with joy at finally having his day in the sun with Torres.

“I really just tried to have a good time,” McDonald told MMAWeekly Radio.

“A lot of the times people try to intimidate their opponents and there’s a lot of emotions involved.  I’m not scared and all this kind of stuff, but you know what?  There’s always nerves and rather than trying to intimidate everyone with, ‘I’m not scared, I’m going to kill this guy,’ that just clouds your judgment. It just clouds your mind.  I’m not all about the mean mug and the, ‘I’m not scared, I’m going to kill you,’ kind of thing.

“To me this is my job. I enjoy it and this experience, people would kill or die for this thing, and if I’m not going to enjoy it while I’m up there than what’s the point?  Here I am in the UFC at 21 years old fighting Miguel Torres, the guy I’ve wanted to fight for four years now.  C’mon now, why would I not be happy?”

For many fighters happiness is getting to live their dream of fighting in the UFC as a career, and for McDonald, it’s really not any different.

But to succeed, a fighter needs confidence. And sometimes that confidence isn’t always easy to achieve.

In his prior fights against Chris Cariaso and Edwin Figueroa, the bantamweight felt stressed and lacked some of the confidence he needed to get the big finish over those opponents. Things have turned around for McDonald, however, as happiness has overcome a lot of his past anxieties and he believes that he’s become more dangerous as a fighter just by having a smile on his face.

“The key to me winning is being happy and this job is probably the crappiest job you can do if you’re not having fun.  Getting punched in the face and getting worked until you can’t move anymore is probably the worst job you can do on the planet if you don’t like it and you have to enjoy it,” said McDonald.

“When I’m dangerous, when I’m a good fighter, and when I’m successful, I’m happy.  I’m having a good time.  That’s when I’m the most dangerous and what makes me happy has a lot to do with who I think I am.

“Fighting doesn’t define me. I’m not just Michael McDonald the fighter.  I’m not Michael ‘Mayday’ McDonald, that’s just my business name.  I’m Michael McDonald and I’m a Christian and that doesn’t define me as fighting and if fighting left me tomorrow, I’d be okay with that.  It’s something that I love, it’s something that is my job, but it doesn’t define me.  Having my happiness in my definition of me really is what supplies my success.  My happiness is a lot to do with what defines me.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

Where did Roy Nelson's kick and flip fall in UFC Fight Night 95's 10 most memorable moments?

In the main event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95, Lina Lansberg did what Cristiane Justino’s four previous opponents were unable to: survive the first round.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

'I wish to fight 'Cyborg' again before my career is over,' says a no-excuses Lina Lansberg

Less than three days after falling victim to yet another one of Cristiane Justino's thunderous performances, Lina Lansberg made no excuses for herself in an Instagram post, saying she wants to "rack read news >>

Watch Conor McGregor Burn Jeremy Stephens: 'Who the F*** is That Guy?' | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Jeremy Stephens has had a long career in the UFC with some memorable fights. Memorable to you and us, that is, but apparently not to Conor McGregor. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>

Would Luke Rockhold Pose Nude for His Modeling Career? | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has delved into modeling. Inside MMA talked to him about it, as well as his rematch with Jacare Souza and relationship with Demi Lovato. read news >>