Some opportunities come once in a lifetime.  For Michael “Mayday” McDonald, one such opportunity came at UFC 145 against Miguel Torres.

McDonald floored the former WEC bantamweight champion with an uppercut and followed with a few punches that left Torres motionless in the Octagon.

Back just four years ago, McDonald envisioned fighting then world champion Torres as he was cutting his teeth in the Gladiator Challenge promotion. But as UFC 145 came to a close, the 21-year-old’s heart was overwhelmed with joy at finally having his day in the sun with Torres.

“I really just tried to have a good time,” McDonald told MMAWeekly Radio.

“A lot of the times people try to intimidate their opponents and there’s a lot of emotions involved.  I’m not scared and all this kind of stuff, but you know what?  There’s always nerves and rather than trying to intimidate everyone with, ‘I’m not scared, I’m going to kill this guy,’ that just clouds your judgment. It just clouds your mind.  I’m not all about the mean mug and the, ‘I’m not scared, I’m going to kill you,’ kind of thing.

“To me this is my job. I enjoy it and this experience, people would kill or die for this thing, and if I’m not going to enjoy it while I’m up there than what’s the point?  Here I am in the UFC at 21 years old fighting Miguel Torres, the guy I’ve wanted to fight for four years now.  C’mon now, why would I not be happy?”

For many fighters happiness is getting to live their dream of fighting in the UFC as a career, and for McDonald, it’s really not any different.

But to succeed, a fighter needs confidence. And sometimes that confidence isn’t always easy to achieve.

In his prior fights against Chris Cariaso and Edwin Figueroa, the bantamweight felt stressed and lacked some of the confidence he needed to get the big finish over those opponents. Things have turned around for McDonald, however, as happiness has overcome a lot of his past anxieties and he believes that he’s become more dangerous as a fighter just by having a smile on his face.

“The key to me winning is being happy and this job is probably the crappiest job you can do if you’re not having fun.  Getting punched in the face and getting worked until you can’t move anymore is probably the worst job you can do on the planet if you don’t like it and you have to enjoy it,” said McDonald.

“When I’m dangerous, when I’m a good fighter, and when I’m successful, I’m happy.  I’m having a good time.  That’s when I’m the most dangerous and what makes me happy has a lot to do with who I think I am.

“Fighting doesn’t define me. I’m not just Michael McDonald the fighter.  I’m not Michael ‘Mayday’ McDonald, that’s just my business name.  I’m Michael McDonald and I’m a Christian and that doesn’t define me as fighting and if fighting left me tomorrow, I’d be okay with that.  It’s something that I love, it’s something that is my job, but it doesn’t define me.  Having my happiness in my definition of me really is what supplies my success.  My happiness is a lot to do with what defines me.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Brock Lesnar Returns to UFC: The Defining Moments of His MMA Career to Date

Brock Lesnar is a large man, in multiple ways. Granted, none of his other largenesses happen without his physical largeness, but even so he looms over both pro wrestling and MMA as a bona fide supers read news >>

McDonald vs. Lineker Elevated to UFC Fight Night 91 Main Event

• a day ago

With Michael Chiesa forced out of the UFC Fight Night 91 main event, the originally scheduled co-main event between Michael McDonald and John Lineker will now headline the fight card. read news >>

VIDEO: IV Ban Doesn’t Bother Bobby Green, He’s Only Down with Tattoo Needles

If you take a look at his cranium, you might not suspect that Bobby Green isn't too pleased with needles. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

If Max Holloway Doesn’t Get a Title Shot, He’ll Just Keep Winning Fights (UFC 199 Video)

Max Holloway doesn't know what's next for him or if a UFC featherweight title shot is in his near future, even after decisively defeating Ricardo Lamas at UFC 199. read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Dana White Video: Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 Return ‘Doesn’t Suck’

TMZ Sports caught up with UFC president Dana White, who said that Brock Lesnar's UFC 200 return "doesn't suck." read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

Mark Hunt Doesn’t Think Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 USADA Exemption is Fair

Brock Lesnar received an exemption to be eligible for UFC 200. Mark Hunt, doesn't think it's fair, but also doesn't think it will change the fight's result. read news >>