UFC 132 Fight Card: Chris Leben Is Scared to Fight Wanderlei Silva, But That’s a Good Thing

• submit to reddit

UFC 132 participant Chris Leben has done wrong, but the middleweight mixed martial artist recognizes his faults.

His last fight, which was against Brian Stann, was less than something to brag about. Really, it wasn’t good at all. Leben stepped into the fight and ended up succumbing to what would be only his second knockout loss – his first being to current middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Wandelei Silva and Chris Leben at the UFC 132 presser

Wandelei Silva and Chris Leben at the UFC 132 presser

Admittedly, Leben said he made mistakes in his last contest, but his UFC 132 fight against Wanderlei Silva affords him a few opportunities: 1) to prove that he’s improved since the last time he was in the Octagon, and 2) a chance to beat one of the sport’s biggest names, which will do big for notoriety and contention.

Perhaps the sour taste left in Leben’s mouth from his last outing is motivation enough to get him back to his winning ways.

“I went out and lost in my last performance and that’s due to the mistakes that I made,” Leben said recently. “It makes me want to correct those things and let everybody know, hey, I’m better than what they saw. I’ve had my ups and downs for sure with the Brian Stann fight. It just left a (sour) taste in my mouth and I want to go out and get back on the winning side. And I mean, there’s nothing bigger than a win over Wanderlei. That would be huge.”

There were other things that kept Leben from performing at his best, according to “The Crippler.” For one, his diet was, apparently, off a bit. Coming into the fight against Stann, Leben was a little too heavy and he cut a great deal of weight in order to come in under the 185-pound weight limit. Knowing that something like that will cost him dearly again, he’s coming in a lot more focused on maintaining the right diet to be healthy come fight night.

Getting comfortable and underestimating his opponent won’t happen this time, according to Leben. He’s not looking to make the same mistakes with Silva that he did with Stann.

“I’ve had a lot of fights. I should have known better, but I think I just got a little comfortable,” he said. “I was feeling really good after I had a three-(fight) win streak. And I underestimated Brian Stann a little bit. And I think the biggest thing that got affected was with my diet. I came in just a little bit too heavy and I cut too much weight.”

Here’s the clincher, though. Leben says he is… wait for it… scared! No, that wasn’t a typo.

Not a lot of fighters will admit having any bit of fear going into a fight. You’ll usually get the “I’m excited” or “I’m going to knock him out” pre-fight talk, but rarely do you hear “I’m scared” uttered from the mouths of fighters.

No worries, though. Leben is channeling that emotion towards his fight and will use it to his advantage. Maybe being scared translates into adrenaline then into knockout power.

“I’m excited to fight Wanderlei. And, I’m a little scared at the same time, too,” Leben admitted. “But I think, for me, that’s definitely a very motivating and driving emotion. So, I’m really focusing a lot harder on my diet. And when I’m in the gym, I’m in the gym 110 percent. I’m listening to my coaches and I’m putting everything in because I want to go out and I want to win this fight. And regardless of if I win, lose, or draw, I want to go out and at least put on a fantastic show for the fans.”

As far as the fight with Silva goes, Leben feels like he’s getting what’s owed to him. When Silva was injured before his scheduled fight with Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 116, Leben stepped up and faced Akiyama as his replacement. The outcome was a hard-fought win for Leben and a memorable match-up that won “Fight of the Night” honors. Getting that win made Leben feel like he won a shot at a legend in Silva. And after a year of waiting, he finally gets his wish.

Good things come to those who remain patient.

“Wanderlei was slated to fight (Akiyama) and he got injured,” Leben said. “And I stepped in and I won that fight. To me, I felt like that kind of earned me the right. It took the UFC a little bit to get around to it, but here we are. I mean, July 2, my dream comes true.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Erik Fontanez is a staff writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@Erik_Fontanez on Twitter or e-mail Erik a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman will look to continue his historic run by facing a reinvented Lyoto Machida in the main event of tonight's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 from Las Vegas. Will the confident young champion silence his haters, or is it time for "The Dragon" to make history? Read our fight preview to find out! Coveted Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) gold will be on the line tonight (July 5, 2014) when middleweight champion Chris Weidman meets Lyoto Machida in the main event of U more

Bloody Elbow presents a preview of UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida in our fight card primer series. Here we look at the main event: Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida for the UFC Middleweight title. In the main event at UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida, UFC Middleweight champion Chris Weidman (11-0 MMA; 7-0 UFC) defends the title against Lyoto Machida (21-4 MMA; 13-4 UFC). This five round Middleweight title fight headlines the five fight UFC 175 PPV main card. The UFC Rankings have Machida as the #3 conte more

There are far bigger, more relevant fighters to main event a mixed martial arts card than James Te Huna and Nate "The Great" Marquardt. However, when it comes to sheer desperation, Te Huna and Marquardt should have plenty. Both men are on a losing streak and can ill-afford another loss. That dynamic could make the feature bout of UFC Fight Night 43 in New Zealand a smashing affair. This card will be exclusively broadcast Saturday, June 28, on UFC Fight Pass. Click here for details. UFC Fight Nig more

Whenever Cub Swanson fights, there's a chance for an explosive finish. He won't have to hunt down his opponent on Saturday night, as Jeremy "Lil Heathen" Stephens is never one to back down from a brawl. Swanson has made it clear: He believes he deserves a shot at the title. He has already faced and been knocked out by current champion Jose Aldo, but that was in 2009 when both were in WEC. He wants his crack at the title soon, but Stephens stands in his way. 'Lil Heathen has been up and down over more

The UFC, in its ever-increasing attempts at expanding its brand around the globe, is running a lot of shows. This is an unarguable point. Whether or not you believe it is running too many events comes down to your own personal preference. Some of you can't get enough mixed martial arts, and you'll gladly watch two events in one day (like the UFC has planned for this Saturday). For some of you, two events in a single day—and four events in the span of eight days—is simply too much of a good thing more

UFC Fight Night 43 Te Huna vs. Marquardt Date: June 28, 2014 Venue: Vector Arena Location: Auckland, New Zealand Articles Videos Main Card (on UFC Fight Pass) James Te Huna (16-7) vs. Nate Marquardt (32-13-2) Soa Palelei (21-3) vs. Jared Rosholt (10-1) Hatsu Hioki (27-7-2) vs. Charles Oliveira (17-4, 1 NC) Robert Whittaker (11-4) vs. Mike Rhodes (6-2) [...] more

UFC Fight Night 44 Swanson vs. Stephens Date: June 28, 2014 Venue: AT&T Center Location: San Antonio, Texas Articles Videos Main Card (on Fox Sports 1) Cub Swanson (20-5) vs. Jeremy Stephens (23-9) Kelvin Gastelum (8-0) vs. Nicholas Musoke (12-2, 1 NC) Cezar Ferreira (7-3) vs. Andrew Craig (9-2) Ricardo Lamas (13-3) vs. Hacran [...] more

Since they're all in the twilight of their careers, it seemed natural for the UFC to add Takanori Gomi, Norafumi "Kid" Yamamoto and Yoshihiro Akiyama to the UFC Fight Night 52 card in September in Japan, according to Dave Meltzer of MMA Fighting. Although none of the three men have flourished since joining the UFC, the company's brass must assume that if anything's going to motivate them, it'll be the UFC's first trip to Japan since UFC on Fuel TV 8. Of the three, only Gomi fought on the UFC on more

A look at the UFC's big 4th of July weekend PPV, as Chris Weidman and Ronda Rousey defend their respective titles in Las Vegas. Next week is DOUBLE FIGHT WEEK another multi-event weekend for the UFC, albeit on separate days. Before the TUF 19 Finale on Sunday, UFC 175 takes place and features two titles on the line. Chris Weidman defends his middleweight crown against former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, while Ronda Rousey looks to make it 4-for-4 in UFC women's bantamweight title de more