UFC 132 Fight Card: Chris Leben Is Scared to Fight Wanderlei Silva, But That’s a Good Thing

• submit to reddit

UFC 132 participant Chris Leben has done wrong, but the middleweight mixed martial artist recognizes his faults.

His last fight, which was against Brian Stann, was less than something to brag about. Really, it wasn’t good at all. Leben stepped into the fight and ended up succumbing to what would be only his second knockout loss – his first being to current middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Wandelei Silva and Chris Leben at the UFC 132 presser

Wandelei Silva and Chris Leben at the UFC 132 presser

Admittedly, Leben said he made mistakes in his last contest, but his UFC 132 fight against Wanderlei Silva affords him a few opportunities: 1) to prove that he’s improved since the last time he was in the Octagon, and 2) a chance to beat one of the sport’s biggest names, which will do big for notoriety and contention.

Perhaps the sour taste left in Leben’s mouth from his last outing is motivation enough to get him back to his winning ways.

“I went out and lost in my last performance and that’s due to the mistakes that I made,” Leben said recently. “It makes me want to correct those things and let everybody know, hey, I’m better than what they saw. I’ve had my ups and downs for sure with the Brian Stann fight. It just left a (sour) taste in my mouth and I want to go out and get back on the winning side. And I mean, there’s nothing bigger than a win over Wanderlei. That would be huge.”

There were other things that kept Leben from performing at his best, according to “The Crippler.” For one, his diet was, apparently, off a bit. Coming into the fight against Stann, Leben was a little too heavy and he cut a great deal of weight in order to come in under the 185-pound weight limit. Knowing that something like that will cost him dearly again, he’s coming in a lot more focused on maintaining the right diet to be healthy come fight night.

Getting comfortable and underestimating his opponent won’t happen this time, according to Leben. He’s not looking to make the same mistakes with Silva that he did with Stann.

“I’ve had a lot of fights. I should have known better, but I think I just got a little comfortable,” he said. “I was feeling really good after I had a three-(fight) win streak. And I underestimated Brian Stann a little bit. And I think the biggest thing that got affected was with my diet. I came in just a little bit too heavy and I cut too much weight.”

Here’s the clincher, though. Leben says he is… wait for it… scared! No, that wasn’t a typo.

Not a lot of fighters will admit having any bit of fear going into a fight. You’ll usually get the “I’m excited” or “I’m going to knock him out” pre-fight talk, but rarely do you hear “I’m scared” uttered from the mouths of fighters.

No worries, though. Leben is channeling that emotion towards his fight and will use it to his advantage. Maybe being scared translates into adrenaline then into knockout power.

“I’m excited to fight Wanderlei. And, I’m a little scared at the same time, too,” Leben admitted. “But I think, for me, that’s definitely a very motivating and driving emotion. So, I’m really focusing a lot harder on my diet. And when I’m in the gym, I’m in the gym 110 percent. I’m listening to my coaches and I’m putting everything in because I want to go out and I want to win this fight. And regardless of if I win, lose, or draw, I want to go out and at least put on a fantastic show for the fans.”

As far as the fight with Silva goes, Leben feels like he’s getting what’s owed to him. When Silva was injured before his scheduled fight with Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 116, Leben stepped up and faced Akiyama as his replacement. The outcome was a hard-fought win for Leben and a memorable match-up that won “Fight of the Night” honors. Getting that win made Leben feel like he won a shot at a legend in Silva. And after a year of waiting, he finally gets his wish.

Good things come to those who remain patient.

“Wanderlei was slated to fight (Akiyama) and he got injured,” Leben said. “And I stepped in and I won that fight. To me, I felt like that kind of earned me the right. It took the UFC a little bit to get around to it, but here we are. I mean, July 2, my dream comes true.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Erik Fontanez is a staff writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@Erik_Fontanez on Twitter or e-mail Erik a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The MMA legend says "everything was cleared" following his appearance before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about an incident in which he fled from a random drug test.
Before Chael Sonnen had to pull out of UFC 175, his initial opponent Wanderlei Silva was pulled from the card for fleeing from a NSAC surprise drug test. UFC president Dana White told the media he expected Silva to be "in big trouble" with the commission.
Silva has since attended a hearing before the commission and he told B more

• 18 hours ago

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon.
"I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Silva told Submission Radio. "I hope this fight is gonna happen."
"I think him and [Vitor] Belfort are just the two good fights that have a reason to happen for me."
The pair were slated to fight Jul. 5 at UFC 175 before they each ran afoul of the Nevada State Athleti more

UFC 175 is the first fight card of the weekend, and the 11-fight card features two championship fights.
Chris Weidman defends his UFC middleweight title against No. 3-ranked contender Lyoto Machida in the night's main event, and Ronda Rousey returns to defend her bantamweight championship against No. 2-ranked Alexis Davis in the co-main event.
Before the fights take place on Saturday, all 22 athletes must make weight on Friday. A reminder that there is no one-pound allowance for championship fig more

Saturday’s UFC 175 card featuring the middleweight championship bout between Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida will be one of the most talked about shows of the year.
Add in Ronda Rousey defending her women's bantamweight championship against Alexis Davis, and this is one of the few shows produced by UFC recently that feels like a true pay-per-view-worthy event. Here is the full card, predictions for every fight on Saturday and a preview of the main event. Breaking Down Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Mac more

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman will look to continue his historic run by facing a reinvented Lyoto Machida in the main event of tonight's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 from Las Vegas. Will the confident young champion silence his haters, or is it time for "The Dragon" to make history? Read our fight preview to find out!
Coveted Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) gold will be on the line tonight (July 5, 2014) when middleweight champion Chris Weidman meets Lyoto Machida in the main event of U more

Bloody Elbow presents a preview of UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida in our fight card primer series. Here we look at the main event: Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida for the UFC Middleweight title. In the main event at UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida, UFC Middleweight champion Chris Weidman (11-0 MMA; 7-0 UFC) defends the title against Lyoto Machida (21-4 MMA; 13-4 UFC). This five round Middleweight title fight headlines the five fight UFC 175 PPV main card. The UFC Rankings have Machida as the #3 conte more

On Saturday, Chris Weidman's first title fight against an opponent other than Anderson Silva let fans down.
Early on, Weidman was beating Lyoto Machida by moving forward patiently and mixing in takedowns. After seemingly dropping the first three rounds on the scorecards, Machida came out more aggressive in the fourth stanza and began turning things around.
Despite Machida's late push, Weidman was able to weather the storm. A takedown in the fifth round helped Weidman seal the win and defend his more

Luke Barnatt, friend of Chael Sonnen, wants to fight against Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't know his challenger but accepts the bout anyway. One of Chael Sonnen's pupils on The Ultimate Fighter season 17, Luke Barnatt, wants to settle matters with one of his coach's enemies, Wanderlei Silva.
The Englishman's challenge was already accepted, as "The Axe Murderer" told Combate.com that he is up for the fight, aeven though he doesn't know who his opponent is. He also mentioned that bouts against Vitor more

• a day ago

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension.
Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional career as a Mixed Martial Artist is complete, Wanderlei Silva is still convinced that his longtime nemesis will still weasel his way back to the octagon once he competes his suspension.
"I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Wand told Submiss more