On Saturday night, Tyrone Spong will compete in a different kind of fight.

The accomplished heavyweight kickboxer will make his mixed martial arts debut at 205 pounds against nine-fight pro Travis Bartlett (pictured, left) at the World Series of Fighting’s inaugural event at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Spong’s bout, along with the rest of the main card, airs live on NBC Sports Network. Meanwhile, the preliminary proceedings stream immediately prior on Sherdog.com.

Despite Spong’s Nov. 3 showdown with Bartlett serving as his foray under mixed rules, Spong, 27, says he feels no pressure in transitioning from kickboxing to MMA.

“I’m very happy to be here. I like challenges,” Spong said at Thursday’s pre-fight press conference. “I’ve achieved a lot in kickboxing, and I just needed something new. I came to the states and trained with a lot of MMA guys and thought I’d give it a chance. [There is] no pressure. I believe in myself, and I’m doing this for myself. Of course, I would like to put on a great fight for the fans and the people who stand behind me, but I’m just looking forward to this Saturday.”

One of the fighters with which the Surinamese-born Dutchman has trained is Anthony Johnson, a fellow member of the Florida-based Blackzilians camp. Known to most fans as “Rumble,” Johnson formerly competed for the UFC at 170 pounds and now makes his WSOF debut as a light heavyweight against Bellator veteran D.J. Linderman. According to Spong and Johnson, their collaboration in training has proved fruitful for both parties.

“I’ve benefited a lot from training with Anthony,” Spong said. “He’s experienced and has a good wrestling background. Everybody knows I need to work on my ground game. For him to work with me and point out the things I need to work on, I have benefited a lot.”

Spong likely hopes to use those newfound wrestling skills to keep the fight standing, where he should -- on paper, at least -- outclass his opponent. However, Bartlett -- a heavy-handed southpaw -- says that if Spong wants to go toe-to-toe, he will oblige the highly-regarded striker. According to the American, he will try to take Spong down only if the kickboxer keeps his distance and looks to attack primarily with leg kicks.

“I have no secrets. I fight one way,” said Bartlett. “If he wants to see who can own the real estate, I’m [in]. If he’s playing the leg kick game, then I’m going to have to pressure him and go for shots. But if he wants to go mano-a-mano in the middle of the cage, I’m up for it.”

Heading into WSOF 31, Mike Ricci Feels His Experience is Finally Catching Up to His Ability

As he heads into a pivotal fight with Jason High at WSOF 31, Mike Ricci feels that his fight experience is finally catching up to his natural ability. read news >>

Josh Copeland Wants a Win at WSOF 31 and Many More Fights in 2016

Struggling to stay busy, Josh Copeland wants nothing more than a win at WSOF 31 and several more fights in 2016. read news >>

JUNE 17 — Jason High Looking to Finish Mike Ricci at WSOF 31

veteran lightweight Jason High is looking to finish his WSOF 31 opponent Mike Ricci when they meet on June 17 at Foxwoods Casino and Resort in Connecticut. read news >>

Mike Arrant Replaces Injured Thiago Meller, Faces John Howard at WSOF 31

World Series of Fighting announced today that Thiago Meller has withdrawn from his scheduled welterweight contest against John Howard, who will now face Mike Arrant at WSOF 31. read news >>

Devin Powell Looking to Prove His Place in the Sport at WSOF 31

Following his lone loss in 2013, lightweight prospect Devin Powell has managed to go on a four-fight winning streak, with finishes in three of his wins. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Ottawa Video: Stephen Thompson – From Karate Kid to MMA

Stephen Thompson's transition from karate kid to mixed martial artist has been a successful one. Thompson is one win away from a potential title shot. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Ottawa Video: Donald Cerrone – New Division, Same Cowboy

Catch up with Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone ahead of his welterweight bout against Patrick Cote at Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson in Ottawa on Saturday. read news >>

Miesha Tate Comments on Ronda Rousey Ahead of UFC 200 Fight vs. Amanda Nunes

UFC Women’s Bantamweight champion Miesha Tate has branded Ronda Rousey “pouty” and has questioned whether her rival will ever return to her very best. Tate was speaking on Conan as preparations conti read news >>

Unbeaten Prospect Phil Hawes Makes Quick Turnaround, Faces Louis Taylor at WSOF 32

• a day ago

World Series of Fighting announced today that undefeated prospect Phil Hawes will make a quick turnaround and step back in the decagon cage just six weeks after his promotional debut. read news >>

Chris Padilla Wants to Put a Stamp on Jason Gonzalez at RFA 38

Chris Padilla feels that if he puts a stamp on Jason Gonzalez at RFA 38, it's only a matter of time before the UFC gives him a call. read news >>