Fresh off a vicious knockout of Jay Hieron in his UFC debut on Saturday, Tyron Woodley is hoping for a busy year in the Octagon.

In fact, he’s already told UFC President Dana White that he’ll be available if someone drops out of the March 16 showdown between Carlos Condit and Rory MacDonald. It’s MacDonald in particular that Woodley has his eye on.

“I want to fight him,” Woodley told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “If anything happens with Carlos Condit, God forbid, or something happens with that fight, I already told Dana White.”

It’s not that Woodley thinks the highly touted MacDonald is a slouch. Rather, now is the time to beat him, in Woodley’s view.

“Nobody’s calling him out for a reason,” Woodley said. “Because he’s freaking unreal. But if you wait, you think he’s going to stop getting better? In two years, this kid’s probably going to be one of the best fighters in the game. I’d rather knock his butt off now like I knocked off [Tarec Saffiedine’s] just before he got the Strikeforce gold.”

There has also been some discussion among fans of a matchup between Woodley and fellow UFC 156 winner Demian Maia, who outgrappled and outpointed Jon Fitch on Saturday. Woodley isn’t too interested, though.

“Everybody’s been Tweeting about it,” he said. “I don’t mind the fight. If he fights me the way he fought Fitch, then it’s not that dangerous of a fight. He just took him down and jumped on his back.”

Maia’s ability to take down Fitch didn’t surprise or impress Woodley, who said the canvas was “super slippery.”

“There was almost no traction and no way to defend,” Woodley said. “When [Maia] got on [Fitch’s] back, he just had no answer for it. I think Demian Maia’s tough. He just didn’t really impress me very much. I think if you match us up, it’s going to be a boring fight and we’re both going to get hella flak. I would rather fight [Nick] Diaz, Rory MacDonald, Condit. I would rather fight one of those guys, to be honest. They’re going to bring out the fight. They’re going to make me fight harder.”

Regardless of whom he fights next, Woodley believes he’ll eventually end up at the top.

“I’m not running from trying to earn it,” he said. “I’m not running from taking the fights. I’ll get there. I think definitely my talent level is definitely top 10. I think my thirst and hunger wants to fight the top five.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:02:24).

Georges St-Pierre Believes Rory MacDonald ‘Chose the Best Option’ by Signing with Bellator

Former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre believes his friend, Rory MacDonald, made the right move, signing with rival promotion Bellator MMA. read news >>

UFC on FOX 21 Takeaways: Demian Maia Makes Jiu-Jitsu Cool Again

UFC on FOX 21 could be the end of a great career, the arrival of another, and the re-emergence of a great former champion. read news >>

UFC Signs Former Bellator Lightweight Title Contender Marcin Held

On the heels of Bellator inking a deal with former UFC welterweight contender Rory MacDonald, the UFC has signed former Bellator tournament winner Marcin Held. read news >>

Moving from UFC to Bellator, Rory MacDonald Begins His Vision Quest

After 21 violent minutes, Rory MacDonald's arsenal was spent. Beyond his last breath, the Canadian contender had nothing left to give as he lay shattered on the Octagon canvas. Few people realized it read news >>

Tyron Woodley v. Stephen Thompson Fight Announced for UFC 205: Details, Reaction

UFC 205 gained another fight Friday, as Fox Sports' Damon Martin reported that Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson will square off for the welterweight title on Nov. 12 from Madison Square Garden. She read news >>

Tyron Woodley Defends Welterweight Title at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

Although he'd been angling for "big money" fights, welterweight champ Tyron Woodley will have to settle for putting his belt on the line at UFC New York. read news >>

Breaking Down Cris Cyborg's UFC Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is preparing to headline her first UFC event ever. Tyron Woodley and Dan Hardy break down her match-up with Lina Lansberg. read news >>

Tyron Woodley on why he won't be playing a Spider-Man villain

Tyron Woodley joined Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole on FOX Sports Live to talk about his mental preparations, being an underdog vs. Stephen Thompson and proper wages for champion UFC fighters. read news >>

After impressive result in UFC debut, Luan Chagas intent on becoming welterweight champ

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley might now know the name Luan Chagas just yet, but if “Tarzan” has his way, that will all change soon enough.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley: Why He Doesn't Like 'Wonderboy' Thompson (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley discusses defeating Robbie Lawler for the title and defending the belt against Stephen Thompson at UFC 205. read news >>