TUF 16 Logo - Ultimate Fighter FridaysTensions in the house continue to escalate in the third episode of The Ultimate Fighter 16: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson, and one of the favorites gets eliminated.

Coach Shane Carwin gained match making control in last week’s episode with Neil Magny’s win over Cameron Diffley and believes having the ability to dictate who fights when will be a huge advantage moving forward.

“Now that Roy has lost control, we have control and we have to place all of the match ups that we believe we can win,” said Carwin.

Coach Roy Nelson hoped losing matchmaker control will motivate his team.

“Being at the Mercy of Shane being able to pick the next fight, it sucks, but at the same time, I think it might light some fire underneath out guys because now they’re thinking, oh crap, I might have to fight,” commented Nelson.

Tensions in the house continue to escalate with Matt Secor in the middle of most of it.  Team Nelson’s Nic Herron-Webb angered his housemates playing pool and jumping rope in the house late in the evening.

The teams gathered for the next fight announcedment and Coach Carwin picked Team Nelson’s Joey Rivera to take on his first team pick, Sam Alvey.

Heading into the fight, Rivera felt honored to take on Team Carwin’s first pick and stated, “I think it’s a great match up for me.”

For Alvey, the game plan was the same game plan he always employs.

“My game plan is going to stick pretty similar to what a lot of my game plans are,” said Alvey.  “That’s hit him harder and more often than he hits me.”

At the official weigh-ins, Rivera tipped the scales at an even 170 pounds while Alvey had to shed his clothes to make the 171 pound limit.

Joey Rivera vs. Sam Alvey:

Rivera came out fast, throwing right high kicks.  Alvey blocked them but quickly got taken down.  Rivera began to look for submission on the ground.  Twice he applied a guillotine choke but Alvey fought out of them.  Alvey gained top position and poured it on in the closing seconds but the first round clearly went to Rivera.

It was Alvey who worked for the takedown in the opening moments of the second stanza.  Rivera defended the takedown but Alvery landed knees to Rivera’s legs inside the clinch.  When the two were separated, Rivera landed a high kick that was the defining moment of the fight.  He followed by it with a takedown.  Alvey secured a takedown in the closing seconds but it was too much too late.

Alvey felt he won, but noted that he’d have to see the footage to be sure.

The judges scored the fight for Rivera by majority decision.  The scorecards read: 19-19, 20-18, and 20-18.

“I thought I had won the rounds. I’d have to see it.  He threw the head kicks, that I blocked.  He took me down twice.  I got back up and took him down twice.  I let it go to the judges,” said Alvey.  “I’ll bounce back and be better than ever.”

Rivera didn’t say much about his performance.  He instead told us why he fights.

“I came here to devastate the world.  This is for the resolution of my soul.  I love to fight and I fight because I love it,” he said.

With the win, Team Nelson took back match making control and evened the score with each team advancing one fighter to the next round.

UFC will return to Mexico for TUF Latin America Finale in November

Mexico will get two UFC events in 2015. The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 2 Finale is set for Nov. 21 in Monterrey, UFC president Dana White confirmed at the UFC 188 post-fight press conference Satu read news >>

UFC 188 results: Yair Rodriguez splits with Charles Rosa, then spits up in interview

MEXICO CITY – “The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America” winner Yair Rodriguez came out looking to put on a show against Charles Rosa, and definitely cut a few clips for his highlight video – and probably read news >>

UFC 188's Efrain Escudero: 'You're going to have to knock me out'

“The Ultimate Fighter 8” winner Efrain Escudero used to tell reporters he was a new man during his comeback. Now, he’s sticking to a simpler story – he’s just the same old guy trying to kick butt in read news >>

UFC 188 Embedded Ep. 3: Fighter Arrivals, Police Escorts and High Altitude Adjustments

On Episode 3 of UFC 188 Embedded, fighters adjust to the high altitude and More athletes arrive in Mexico City and kick off fight week with a high-speed police escort. read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 8

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s eighth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Episode No. 8 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians'

Will the Blackzilians keep their remarkable start to the season going against American Top Team on the newest episode of “The Ultimate Fighter”?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 8

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 8 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

UFC 188 Embedded, Episode 3: 'I'm going to whoop your ass'

On the third episode of UFC 188 Embedded, Tecia Torres, Angela Hill, Kelvin Gastelum, and Johnny Case adjust to the altitude in Mexico City, Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez arrive into town, and F read news >>

On mend from 11th surgery, 'TUF 11' winner Court McGee hopes to return this year

Since Court McGee won “The Ultimate Fighter 11,” he’s had more surgeries than fights – 11 to be exact.Filed under: Featured Videos, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 results, recap (Ep. 8) for 'ATT vs. Blackzilians'

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 returns to FOX Sports 1 later tonight (Weds., June 10, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, featuring episode eight of the combat sports reality show, pitting American Top Team (ATT) ag read news >>