Strikeforce Middleweight Tim Kennedy Starting Training Camp for July or August Fight

Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy is ready to get back in the cage and fight again, and it looks like he’ll be making an appearance on a fight card this summer.

The former Army Special Forces member is headed into his training camp, and while he doesn’t have an opponent yet, it looks like Strikeforce is getting ready to make him an offer.

“I have inclinations. Looks like I’m going to be fighting in July or August,” Kennedy told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’m moving into my fight camp right now. Really had an awesome two months of drills and strengthening my fundamentals, worked a lot of boxing, and improving my jiu-jitsu.

“So now I’m moving into the fight camp portion.”

Kennedy is coming off a first-round win over Melvin Manhoef at the Strikeforce show in Ohio in March. The Texas native has gone 4-1 since coming to Strikeforce with his lone loss coming to current middleweight champion Ronald “Jacare” Souza.

For his training camp, Kennedy will once again enlist the services of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and their team in New Mexico.

“I’ll be going out to Albuquerque for a couple months and hopefully you’ll see me in the cage by the end of July or early August,” Kennedy stated.

As far as an opponent goes, that part never really matters to Kennedy. He’s just waiting on a name and a contract so he can put a face to the opponent he wants to dispatch of when he returns to action.

“I’m ready to go. I’m hungry, I’ve been working my butt off for the past few months now, now I want to go out there and really bring it to my next opponent,” said Kennedy.

Additional sources have indicated that Kennedy could be a part of the major Strikeforce show being targeted for July, which could include a main event showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce is planning to run several shows between their June 18 event in Texas and the end of the year. Depending on how things shake out with the July card, Kennedy could also end up on an event in August.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Coming off an uninspired performance against Tim Kennedy, perennial Middleweight contender Michael Bisping tries to right the ship against explosive striker Cung Le Hey! Where's David? I don't know w read news >>

Le hasn't given up hope of sharing the cage with the best mixed marital art (MMA) fighter of all time. But will he and Silva's paths ever cross inside a cage? Long before a "super fight" between form read news >>

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le faces Michael Bisping in the UFC Fight Night 48 main event on Aug. 23, but is eyeing a fight with Anderson Silva next. read news >>

Jack Hermansson has some power, and the Cage Warriors middleweight champion can clearly deliver it from some odd positions. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Former middleweight title challenger Thales Leites was back tonight (Sat., Aug. 23, 2014) to continue his Octagon redemption tour against the struggling Francis Carmont on the main card of the UFC Fi read news >>

TULSA – For all the distractions outside the cage, Jordan Mein looked remarkably sharp inside it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Joe Lauzon and Michael Chiesa will step into the cage to determine who is the superior submission fighter on the main card of UFC Fight Night 50, which takes place this Friday (Sept. 5, 2014) in Ledy read news >>

Nik Lentz and Charles Oliveira will once again step into the cage in an attempt to definitively prove who is the better fighter on the main card of UFC Fight Night 50, which takes place this Friday ( read news >>