Strikeforce Middleweight Tim Kennedy Starting Training Camp for July or August Fight

Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy is ready to get back in the cage and fight again, and it looks like he’ll be making an appearance on a fight card this summer.

The former Army Special Forces member is headed into his training camp, and while he doesn’t have an opponent yet, it looks like Strikeforce is getting ready to make him an offer.

“I have inclinations. Looks like I’m going to be fighting in July or August,” Kennedy told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’m moving into my fight camp right now. Really had an awesome two months of drills and strengthening my fundamentals, worked a lot of boxing, and improving my jiu-jitsu.

“So now I’m moving into the fight camp portion.”

Kennedy is coming off a first-round win over Melvin Manhoef at the Strikeforce show in Ohio in March. The Texas native has gone 4-1 since coming to Strikeforce with his lone loss coming to current middleweight champion Ronald “Jacare” Souza.

For his training camp, Kennedy will once again enlist the services of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and their team in New Mexico.

“I’ll be going out to Albuquerque for a couple months and hopefully you’ll see me in the cage by the end of July or early August,” Kennedy stated.

As far as an opponent goes, that part never really matters to Kennedy. He’s just waiting on a name and a contract so he can put a face to the opponent he wants to dispatch of when he returns to action.

“I’m ready to go. I’m hungry, I’ve been working my butt off for the past few months now, now I want to go out there and really bring it to my next opponent,” said Kennedy.

Additional sources have indicated that Kennedy could be a part of the major Strikeforce show being targeted for July, which could include a main event showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce is planning to run several shows between their June 18 event in Texas and the end of the year. Depending on how things shake out with the July card, Kennedy could also end up on an event in August.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

BOSTON – Even after spending 15 minutes in the cage with him, you could forgive Shane Howell if he still wasn’t sure what Paddy Holohan looked like. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

• 15 hours ago

Rafael Natal had his back against the wall in his past UFC bout, and he came out victorious. He doesn’t feel safe, though. With one win in his past three UFC fights, "Sapo" takes on Tom Watson at UFC read news >>

But according to "The American Gangster," life already beat him to it. 2015 is here, so that means it's time for people all over the world to start doing good on their New Year's resolutions. Or fail read news >>

Here we go! Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier enter the cage, finally, to close out UFC 182 from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, as well as put an end to their "Bad Blood" rivalry. It starts read news >>

Bellator and Strikeforce veteran Louis Taylor stepped up on short notice to take over for Costa Phillipou -- and will now step out on even shorter notice against Uriah Hall -- at the upcoming UFC Fig read news >>

Former Strikeforce fighter Ron Stallings has stepped in to fight fellow middleweight Uriah Hall on less than a week’s notice.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

If 36-year-old Phil “CM Punk” Brooks can sign with the UFC, with zero mixed martial arts experience; why can’t 40-year-old Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson return? read news >>

UFC Middleweight contender Luke Rockhold has been so focused on being the best fighter in the world that he hasn't had any time to find the love of his life...UNTIL NOW. Luke reaches out to renowned read news >>

UFC middleweight Thales Leites previews his UFC 182 fight against Tim Boetsch and discusses his career resurgence. read news >>