Strikeforce Middleweight Tim Kennedy Starting Training Camp for July or August Fight

Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy is ready to get back in the cage and fight again, and it looks like he’ll be making an appearance on a fight card this summer.

The former Army Special Forces member is headed into his training camp, and while he doesn’t have an opponent yet, it looks like Strikeforce is getting ready to make him an offer.

“I have inclinations. Looks like I’m going to be fighting in July or August,” Kennedy told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’m moving into my fight camp right now. Really had an awesome two months of drills and strengthening my fundamentals, worked a lot of boxing, and improving my jiu-jitsu.

“So now I’m moving into the fight camp portion.”

Kennedy is coming off a first-round win over Melvin Manhoef at the Strikeforce show in Ohio in March. The Texas native has gone 4-1 since coming to Strikeforce with his lone loss coming to current middleweight champion Ronald “Jacare” Souza.

For his training camp, Kennedy will once again enlist the services of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and their team in New Mexico.

“I’ll be going out to Albuquerque for a couple months and hopefully you’ll see me in the cage by the end of July or early August,” Kennedy stated.

As far as an opponent goes, that part never really matters to Kennedy. He’s just waiting on a name and a contract so he can put a face to the opponent he wants to dispatch of when he returns to action.

“I’m ready to go. I’m hungry, I’ve been working my butt off for the past few months now, now I want to go out there and really bring it to my next opponent,” said Kennedy.

Additional sources have indicated that Kennedy could be a part of the major Strikeforce show being targeted for July, which could include a main event showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce is planning to run several shows between their June 18 event in Texas and the end of the year. Depending on how things shake out with the July card, Kennedy could also end up on an event in August.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

When Tim Means describes the training camp for his Saturday fight against Hernani Perpetuo, please note that he’s not complaining. read news >>

Dana White gave an update on the negotiations to get Gina Carano back in the cage, saying "it's complicated" Dana White has been working on signing the former 'face of women's MMA' in Gina Carano, st read news >>

UFC middleweight contender Tim Kennedy doesn't have high hopes that upcoming title challenger Vitor Belfort will make it to his UFC 181 showdown with champ Chris Weidman. In an interview with Bloody read news >>

In a recent interview with Bloody Elbow, Tim Kennedy discussed the issues he has with Belfort's licensure, why the good will between Michael Bisping and himself never lasted and if fighting at 170 is read news >>

This June, burnt out after nearly two decades in the fight game, Roland Sarria parted ways with Rage in the Cage, the Arizona-based mixed martial arts promotion he founded back in 1998. Over his 17-y read news >>

Assuming Joe Silva doesn't need him to replace the "broken down steroid addict" currently slotted to fight Chris Weidman in December. Tim Kennedy is getting ready for a busy six months. The former St read news >>

Too soon? Top 10-ranked Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight CB Dollaway, who has won four of his last five and continues to look more impressive each time out, is targeting the winner o read news >>

Several notable UFC fighters believe that the Nevada State Athletic Commission was far too lenient in the sanctions they handed down to Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen at yesterday's hearing. As a mat read news >>

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is petitioning to fight Chris Weidman at UFC 181 on December 6. The fact that the perennial contender is already booked for that championship bo read news >>