Strikeforce Middleweight Tim Kennedy Starting Training Camp for July or August Fight

Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy is ready to get back in the cage and fight again, and it looks like he’ll be making an appearance on a fight card this summer.

The former Army Special Forces member is headed into his training camp, and while he doesn’t have an opponent yet, it looks like Strikeforce is getting ready to make him an offer.

“I have inclinations. Looks like I’m going to be fighting in July or August,” Kennedy told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’m moving into my fight camp right now. Really had an awesome two months of drills and strengthening my fundamentals, worked a lot of boxing, and improving my jiu-jitsu.

“So now I’m moving into the fight camp portion.”

Kennedy is coming off a first-round win over Melvin Manhoef at the Strikeforce show in Ohio in March. The Texas native has gone 4-1 since coming to Strikeforce with his lone loss coming to current middleweight champion Ronald “Jacare” Souza.

For his training camp, Kennedy will once again enlist the services of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and their team in New Mexico.

“I’ll be going out to Albuquerque for a couple months and hopefully you’ll see me in the cage by the end of July or early August,” Kennedy stated.

As far as an opponent goes, that part never really matters to Kennedy. He’s just waiting on a name and a contract so he can put a face to the opponent he wants to dispatch of when he returns to action.

“I’m ready to go. I’m hungry, I’ve been working my butt off for the past few months now, now I want to go out there and really bring it to my next opponent,” said Kennedy.

Additional sources have indicated that Kennedy could be a part of the major Strikeforce show being targeted for July, which could include a main event showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce is planning to run several shows between their June 18 event in Texas and the end of the year. Depending on how things shake out with the July card, Kennedy could also end up on an event in August.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy begs to differ with Chael Sonnen’s opinion that he’s “one cranky and bitter son of a b–ch” about a loss to Yoel Romero.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Roger Gracie returns to the cage Friday against fellow UFC veteran James McSweeney at One FC 23, but that wasn’t his original plans after getting cut from the UFC. Following a unanimous decision loss read news >>

After a loss to Tim Kennedy in July 2013 and subsequent release from the UFC, jiu-jitsu standout Roger Gracie had reached a crossroads in his competitive life.Filed under: News read news >>

Raquel Pennington talks about her fight after defeating Ashlee Evans-Smith at UFC 181. read news >>

Jorge Medina's time in the Marine Corp. has prepared him for success in the cage, leading him to an undefeated career heading in Saturday's V3 Fights. read news >>

UFC middleweight Number 4 contender, Luke Rockhold ready to step in for any of the four MW fighters on the UFC 184 card. UFC 184 might possibly be one of the biggest events of 2015...if it goes off a read news >>

Fans might be a bit divided over UFC 178's infamous 'stoolgate,' but not Chael Sonnen or Michael Bisping. The event's 'Fight of the Night' between middleweights Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero was marred read news >>

SHUT UP! Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender, Chael Sonnen, is tired of hearing about "Stoolgate." Not that anyone besides Tim Kennedy is still talking about it, but th read news >>

Former three-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen feels that middleweight contender Tim Kennedy has complained about his latest loss against Yoel Romero for far too long and it's time to move on. O read news >>