Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy is ready to get back in the cage and fight again, and it looks like he’ll be making an appearance on a fight card this summer.

The former Army Special Forces member is headed into his training camp, and while he doesn’t have an opponent yet, it looks like Strikeforce is getting ready to make him an offer.

“I have inclinations. Looks like I’m going to be fighting in July or August,” Kennedy told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’m moving into my fight camp right now. Really had an awesome two months of drills and strengthening my fundamentals, worked a lot of boxing, and improving my jiu-jitsu.

“So now I’m moving into the fight camp portion.”

Kennedy is coming off a first-round win over Melvin Manhoef at the Strikeforce show in Ohio in March. The Texas native has gone 4-1 since coming to Strikeforce with his lone loss coming to current middleweight champion Ronald “Jacare” Souza.

For his training camp, Kennedy will once again enlist the services of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and their team in New Mexico.

“I’ll be going out to Albuquerque for a couple months and hopefully you’ll see me in the cage by the end of July or early August,” Kennedy stated.

As far as an opponent goes, that part never really matters to Kennedy. He’s just waiting on a name and a contract so he can put a face to the opponent he wants to dispatch of when he returns to action.

“I’m ready to go. I’m hungry, I’ve been working my butt off for the past few months now, now I want to go out there and really bring it to my next opponent,” said Kennedy.

Additional sources have indicated that Kennedy could be a part of the major Strikeforce show being targeted for July, which could include a main event showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce is planning to run several shows between their June 18 event in Texas and the end of the year. Depending on how things shake out with the July card, Kennedy could also end up on an event in August.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 198 Free Fight: Cris Cyborg Topples Gina Carano

Cris "Cyborg" Justino won the first ever Strikeforce women's featherweight championship in convincing fashion by taking out Gina Carano back in 2009. read news >>

UFC and Bellator Veteran Lavar Johnson Sentenced to Five Years for Domestic Violence

Former UFC, Bellator, and Strikeforce fighter Lavar Johnson was sentenced on Friday to five years in prison for domestic violence. read news >>

UFC 200: The Best Under-the-Radar Storylines at the UFC's Gala July Event

It has been hard to get a word in edgewise so far. Granted, UFC 200 is still a bit more than two months away, but to date most of the pre-fight attention has been swallowed up by one or two main stor read news >>

Holly Holm vs. Valentina Shevchenko Will Main Event UFC Fight Night in July

It's been confirmed Holly Holm will make her return to the Octagon on July 23, and she is scheduled to headline a UFC Fight Night event in Chicago, where she'll take on Valentina Shevchenko. Fox Spor read news >>

Sioux Falls and Chicago Headliners Announced

The summer of UFC continues to heat up, with two July shows getting intriguing main events that were announced Sunday. Just four days after UFC 200, the Octagon will set down in Sioux Falls, South read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw and Raphael Assuncao Rematch Booked for UFC 200

Former bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw returns to the cage on July 9 in a rematch against Raphael Assuncao at UFC 200. UFC officials announced the matchup on Tuesday. read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley Headline UFC 201 on July 30

Welterweight champion "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler is set to defend his title against third-ranked contender Tyron Woodley in the UFC 201 main event in Atlanta on July 30. read news >>

Graves and Velickovic Meet in Atlanta

Unbeaten welterweight standout Michael Graves will return to the Octagon on July 30 when he faces off with fellow 170-pound prospect Bojan Velickovic in UFC 201 action at Philips Arena in Atlanta. read news >>

Alers vs. Knight Set for Chicago Bout

Featherweight prospects Jim Alers and Jason Knight will travel to Chicago on July 23, as they meet in a FOX UFC Fight Night bout at United Center. read news >>