Strikeforce Middleweight Tim Kennedy Starting Training Camp for July or August Fight

Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy is ready to get back in the cage and fight again, and it looks like he’ll be making an appearance on a fight card this summer.

The former Army Special Forces member is headed into his training camp, and while he doesn’t have an opponent yet, it looks like Strikeforce is getting ready to make him an offer.

“I have inclinations. Looks like I’m going to be fighting in July or August,” Kennedy told MMAWeekly Radio. “I’m moving into my fight camp right now. Really had an awesome two months of drills and strengthening my fundamentals, worked a lot of boxing, and improving my jiu-jitsu.

“So now I’m moving into the fight camp portion.”

Kennedy is coming off a first-round win over Melvin Manhoef at the Strikeforce show in Ohio in March. The Texas native has gone 4-1 since coming to Strikeforce with his lone loss coming to current middleweight champion Ronald “Jacare” Souza.

For his training camp, Kennedy will once again enlist the services of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn and their team in New Mexico.

“I’ll be going out to Albuquerque for a couple months and hopefully you’ll see me in the cage by the end of July or early August,” Kennedy stated.

As far as an opponent goes, that part never really matters to Kennedy. He’s just waiting on a name and a contract so he can put a face to the opponent he wants to dispatch of when he returns to action.

“I’m ready to go. I’m hungry, I’ve been working my butt off for the past few months now, now I want to go out there and really bring it to my next opponent,” said Kennedy.

Additional sources have indicated that Kennedy could be a part of the major Strikeforce show being targeted for July, which could include a main event showdown between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce is planning to run several shows between their June 18 event in Texas and the end of the year. Depending on how things shake out with the July card, Kennedy could also end up on an event in August.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Tim Kennedy wouldn't mind one bit if the UFC went back to its early tournament format, but this weekend at UFC 178, he has to narrow his focus to Yoel Romero. read news >>

In a deceptively important middleweight title fight, Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero faced off in the second fight of UFC 178's main card. Both men are physical monsters, come from top-level gyms and own read news >>

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy had words for his UFC 178 opponent Yoel Romero after their fight on Saturday night. Romero won the contest by stopping Kennedy with strikes in the third round, but the bo read news >>

This is the UFC 178 live blog for Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero, a middleweight bout at Saturday night's UFC event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.Kennedy, who has won four of his past five read news >>

Following the controversial conclusion to the fight, Tim Kennedy confronted Yoel Romero backstage to express his dismay. UFC 178 featured a variety of entertaining stoppages, the most bizarre and con read news >>

Check out the UFC 178 fight highlights from the Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero bout in Las Vegas on Saturday night. read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Without question, Yoel Romero’s win over Tim Kennedy on Saturday was UFC 178’s most controversial moment. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero looked to position themselves in line for a title shot last night (Sat., Sept. 27, 2014) at UFC 178 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. With a little help read news >>

UFC 178 featured a variety of entertaining stoppages, the most bizarre of which was Yoel Romero's third round TKO win over Tim Kennedy. While the manner of Romero's stoppage was not the issue, his fa read news >>