Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz
Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz

Fresh off a first-round win over Paul Daley, but frustrated by his future prospects in mixed martial arts, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz is expected to turn to professional boxing for his next in-ring performance.

“(Strikeforce doesn’t) have anybody else for me to fight right now. I’m better than all these guys they have,” Diaz told HDNet’s Inside MMA recently. “I don’t see much of a future in this sport for me. I’m signed into a contract I don’t know anything about. All I know is my life is a living Hell full of training… (I) cater to everybody else.”

There are some good welterweights coming down the pike in Strikeforce, but the majority of the Top 10 170-pounders are fighting in the UFC. Those are the types of fights that Diaz wants, the George St-Pierre’s and Jon Fitch’s of the world.

In Strikeforce, Diaz’s current options are up-and-comers like Tyron Woodley and Tarec Saffiedine, or veterans like Jorge Masvidal. All are fine fighters, but not the big draw fights that Diaz is looking for. So it may come as no surprise that, with an ever-growing respect for his striking, he is now planning to test the waters in professional boxing in a big way.

In a separate interview with Inside MMA, Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie, said, “(Fernando Vargas) is very interested. We’ve actually signed on the dotted line for that fight, ourselves, and we’re waiting for him now.

“We’re looking at September, October for something like that. We’re just waiting for their camp.”

That was the plan at the time of the interview, but Gracie on Thursday afternoon told MMAWeekly.com, “Actually, just heard Vargas might have medical issues. So we are looking at another opponent.”

The plan is still for Diaz’s next fight to be a professional boxing bout, but their sights have shifted to the possibility of him fighting former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy.

Although UFC parent company Zuffa, LLC, recently acquired Strikeforce, UFC president Dana White has been adamant that they are in no hurry to start inbreeding the two promotions, saying Strikeforce will operate “business as usual.”

That likely means that Diaz’s prospects for a big name MMA opponent any time soon are fairly slim, so expect him to emerge in the boxing ring this Fall.

Gracie stated in the InsideMMA interview, “Nick’s next fight will be in the ring as a boxer.”

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

 

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 29 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz Gets Drastically Reduced Suspension in NAC Settlement

  • 29 days ago
  • 17 views

Nick Diaz's case was back before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday due to a possible settlement agreement with the commission in regard to the fighter's five-year suspension and $165,000 fine read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 29 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 28 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Nick Diaz UFC 183 Settlement Agreement and Supporting Documents

  • 28 days ago
  • 7 views

Here is the Nick Diaz and Nevada Athletic Commission settlement, and Diaz's declaration that he wrongfully pleaded the fifth amendment. read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

  • 28 days ago
  • 18 views

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

  • 27 days ago
  • 16 views

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

  • 27 days ago
  • 33 views

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

  • 25 days ago
  • 18 views

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: Patrick Cote Stops Ben Saunders, Calls Out Nick Diaz

  • 23 days ago
  • 6 views

Patrick Cote continued his resurrection on Sunday night in Boston, defeating Ben Saunders, and then calling out Nick Diaz. read news >>