Shane Roller at WEC 44Shane Roller never wanted to be just another fighter.

The former WEC and UFC lightweight set out to be something better than just a run of the mill fighter who bounced in and out of the Octagon on his way to the middle.

A three-time All-American at Oklahoma State in wrestling, Roller started fighting because he loved the fire of competition, but following his fourth loss in the UFC last week at UFC on FX 5, he was released from his contract with the promotion and that’s when he decided it was time to make a big decision.

“The number one reason was the UFC called and said they were going to be cutting me. I decided if that ever happened I was going to move on, and I kind of made that decision from when I started fighting I didn’t want to just be another fighter. I wanted to take a run at it, and try to get the belt, but I didn’t want to be just a mediocre fighter,” Roller told MMAWeekly.com after announcing his retirement on Monday.

“I want to spend more time with my family, training and competing at that level you’ve got to give up a lot of things. I gave it a run, it didn’t work out, didn’t end the way I wanted it to, but I think it’s time to move on into the next chapter of my life.”

The love of competition is what got Roller involved with MMA in the first place because after years away from the wrestling mats, he missed it terribly. So Roller got back in the gym, started training and after only four professional fights he got the call to compete in the WEC.

There he would go on to have a 6-2 record overall while picking up wins over fighters like former WEC champion Jamie Varner and Danny Castillo. The love of competing is something that’s embedded deep inside Shane Roller, and he readily admits that will be the hardest thing to give up after fighting is over.

“A little bit of mixed emotions, I’ll miss competing, I always love competing no matter what I do. It doesn’t matter if me and my brothers are just playing cards or whatever. I love competition, and that aspect of it is going to be tough,” said Roller.

“That’s probably the hardest thing. I didn’t realize how much I’d miss it when I got done with wrestling. I was out of wrestling for about 4 years when I started fighting, when I was out of it I realized how much I missed it so that’s why I started fighting. I’m sure it will be tough again but I’ve got a 7-year old boy, a 5-year old girl, and another nine-month old girl, I’ll have plenty to keep myself busy now.”

Now that Roller has officially announced his retirement, he’s moving onto the next stage of his life. He’s going to be opening a wrestling camp in his home state of Oklahoma, while also helping his father who runs youth wrestling tournaments in the state as well.

Roller also has plenty of friends who still compete in MMA, so he won’t be completely away from the sport, he just won’t be the one inside the cage from now on.

“It’s definitely a decision I’ve made,” Roller stated.

“I don’t want to keep coming back, and keep trying to fight. I think it’s time to move onto the next chapter, I gave it a run, I gave it my all. No regrets, I wish it would have ended a little different, but the last 4 or 5 years I’ve enjoyed it.”

For more news, rumors and information make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

Kyle Noke Retires After UFC Melbourne Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight Kyle Noke announced his retirement via Twitter following his decision loss to Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101. read news >>

Video: Miesha Tate talks 'transition,' not retirement, remains content after choice to walk away

MELBOURNE, Australia – Miesha Tate didn’t head to New York intent on retiring at UFC 205, but it didn’t take long for her to decide her heart simply wasn’t in fighting any longer.Filed under: Feature read news >>

Demian Maia talks Robbie Lawler offer, title-shot hopes and desired Anderson Silva rematch

SAO PAULO – Demian Maia was sitting cageside when UFC 205’s co-headliner between champ Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson was, much to his dismay, declared a draw. He’s now analyzing his options.File read news >>

Robert Whittaker: Fight Night Melbourne Warrior Code Video | MMAWeekly.com

Robert Whittaker loves to fight and he talks about the lifestyle in this edition of Warrior Code. Whittaker takes on Derek Brunson at UFC Melbourne. read news >>

Conor McGregor Relinquishes UFC Featherweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

UFC officials on Saturday announced that the promotion's first dual-division champion, Conor McGregor, has relinquished his featherweight championship. read news >>

After loss to Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101, 33-fight veteran Kyle Noke announces retirement

A longtime stalwart of Aussie MMA is calling it a career. Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101 draws announced sell-out of 13,721 for $2.2 million AUD live gate

MELBOURNE, Australia – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 101 event drew an announced attendance of 13,721 for a live gate of $2.2 million AUD.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101: Omari Akhmedov vs. Kyle Noke video highlights

Kyle Noke’s final career outing was not a successful one. The Australian veteran was controlled on the mat by the stifling top game of Omari Akhmedov, resulting in a decision loss and Noke announcing read news >>

Stripping Conor McGregor of his UFC featherweight title makes some sense – but not like this

On Saturday the UFC announced that Conor McGregor will be “relinquishing” his UFC featherweight title. It almost made sense, until you took a few seconds to think about the obvious reasoning behind i read news >>