robbie-lawler-21.jpgSEATTLE – It’s hard to get UFC welterweight Robbie Lawler to express much interest or emotion about anything, even when it comes to fighting.

He won’t even brag about a recent TKO victory over Josh Koscheck, which followed a 2-4 skid and marked Lawler’s first UFC victory since 2004.

But after some further thought, he finally perked up.

“It was big for everyone else, but I knew what I could do,” he said of the “Knockout of the Night” performance at UFC 157. “But I guess it’s nice that everyone else kind of knows what I’m capable of. Maybe it put a little fear in some opponents. But I’m not too worried about that. Just fulfilling my dreams and fighting to the best of my ability is what I want to do, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Lawler (20-9 MMA, 5-3 UFC) continues that quest on Saturday in a UFC on FOX 8 main-card bout at Seattle’s KeyArena, where he meets Bobby Voelker (24-9 MMA, 0-1 UFC), a late replacement for Siyar Bahadurzada (21-5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), himself a replacement for Tarec Saffiedine (14-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC). Voelker took the fight on two weeks’ notice, but Lawler said it made little impact on his preparations.

“When you’re getting ready for a fight, you just try to be ready for anything,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I wasn’t necessarily watching tapes on Siyar yet, so it wasn’t a big deal to me.”

However, he knows the scenario can provide a bit of a wild card come fight night. When a fighter takes a bout on short notice, losses seem to be more easily forgiven by UFC brass. And though Voelker, a fellow Strikeforce vet, suffered a decision loss to Patrick Cote in his UFC debut earlier this year, Lawler knows his opponent is likely to go for broke in his sophomore effort.

“He has nothing to lose,” Lawler said. “He’s tough. He believes in himself. Anyone who comes in on two weeks’ notice believes he can get the job done obviously.”

As with the Koscheck fight, Lawler is spending much of his training camp in Florida with the famed American Top Team. Unlike past gyms, he’s not a primary leader. He takes his orders from others, and he said he actually enjoys “not being the boss” of everyone else.

However, it also means extended time away from his family, who’s located in Illinois. Lawler would spend a few weeks in Florida and then return home for a week ahead of Saturday’s event. It was tough on the 31-year-old vet and his family, but he said it’s also proof that he still has a passion for fighting.

“It’s hard, but you have to do what you have to do,” said Lawler, who missed his son’s birthday because he was in Florida. “Hopefully in the end [the sacrifices] pay off for me. … But yeah, I wouldn’t be doing it if I still didn’t have a passion for it.”

Lawler, though, refuses to say where a win over Voelker would put him in the title picture, and with more than 12 grueling years in the sport, he won’t say how much longer he plans to compete. However, he said he felt reenergized after his move from Strikeforce, where he fought infrequently and often with little notice, to the UFC, where he was one of the organization’s brightest prospects a decade ago.

Believe it or not, the man of few words enjoys the extra attention and extra opportunities the UFC affords him. But to stay here – and to enter serious title contention – he said he just needs to worry about one thing on Saturday night.

“I just need to get past this guy and do what I do, and everything else will take care of itself,” he said.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC on FOX 19’s Khabib Nurmagomedov discusses why Tony Ferguson needs to shut up

  • 15 days ago
  • 72 views

TAMPA, Fla. – UFC lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov today grew irritated and shut off questions about his would-be UFC on FOX 19 opponent, Tony Ferguson.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Dog trouble, car accident and fever stressed Rose Namajunas before UFC on FOX 19

  • 10 days ago
  • 27 views

Rose Namajunas picked up arguably the biggest win of her young career when the 23-year-old scored a unanimous decision victory over Tecia Torres at UFC on FOX 19.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, R read news >>

Cub Swanson needed to feel the nerves to pick up UFC on FOX 19 victory

  • 9 days ago
  • 0 views

After an impressive six-fight winning streak in the UFC brought him to the edge of title contention, Cub Swanson hit a two-fight losing skid and, he said, began to contemplate retirement.Filed under: read news >>

Rashad Evans: ‘I’m Riding a Real Low Right Now’

  • 9 days ago
  • 14 views

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans discusses his knockout loss to Glover Teixeira and the disappointment of losing back-to-back fights. read news >>

Dana White Discusses Conor McGregor Retirement Tweet, Notorious' Future, UFC 200

  • 9 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC president Dana White believes featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn’t retiring and will fight again for the organisation in the next year, and he said the decision to pull the Irishman from t read news >>

Felice Herrig vs. Kailin Curran joins Chicago's UFC on FOX 20 lineup

  • 8 days ago
  • 11 views

A strawweight bout between Felice Herrig and Kailin Curran has been added to this summer’s UFC on FOX 20 lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch today's special UFC 200 press conference on MMAjunkie at 5 p.m. ET

  • 7 days ago
  • 283 views

LAS VEGAS – Ahead of July’s International Fight Week, you can watch a special press conference today here on MMAjunkie at 5 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT) with the top fighters from UFC 200, UFC Fight Night 90 read news >>

Derrick Adkins Plans to Take Out Daryl Wilson at Land Big Legacy FC Fights

  • 7 days ago
  • 3 views

Always thinking a step ahead, Derrick Adkins plans to parlay a win at Legacy FC 54 into bigger and better fights. read news >>

With McGregor bout off, Nate Diaz says 'I don't have any interest in fighting at all'

  • 7 days ago
  • 17 views

At today’s UFC 200 press conference, UFC President Dana White killed any remaining hope of salvaging the originally scheduled main event rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor.Filed under: Feat read news >>

Video: Watch stars of UFC's 'International Fight Week' face off – minus Conor McGregor

  • 7 days ago
  • 24 views

LAS VEGAS – Ahead of July’s International Fight Week, most of the stars of the week’s trio of fights converged on Las Vegas for a special news conference. Check out the face-off highlights inside. Fi read news >>