Cory Vom BaurWhile he hasn’t fought a lot in 2013, Northwest bantamweight prospect Cory Vom Baur is making the best of his limited opportunities.

After having made his successful CageSport debut last December, Vom Baur returned to the promotion in April and defeated current WSOF fighter Josh Rettinghouse for the CageSport 135-pound championship.

“Josh was a good opponent and I thought I performed pretty well,” said Vom Baur. “I finished it in the fifth round, which is always good to get a finish.

“I think I’ve improved a lot since then in all areas of my game training out of Sports Lab now.”

Vom Baur credits his training at Sports Lab for taking him to the next level.

“They do a really good job of producing well-rounded fighters,” said Vom Baur. “I have a kickboxing coach, a boxing coach, and a BJJ coach, and train on a consistent basis, five times a week.

“Really in this sport you have to be evolving in all aspects of your game, you have to be diversified and a complete fighter. At Sports Lab I can train on all aspects of my game.”

Vom Baur (6-2) may very well need every tool in his arsenal when he makes his debut for Tachi Palace Fights this Thursday in Lemoore, Calif., against former Bellator champion Joe Soto (11-2).

“I don’t know exactly what I have to do in order to get the win, but I do know that I have to punch him more times than he does to me and do more damage than he does to me,” said Vom Baur. “However that goes down, it’s going to go down.

“If you look at our skills, they probably cancel each other out, so I think it’s a pretty even match-up.”

Vom Baur acknowledges that his fight against Soto is the most important of his career thus far. But as he told MMAWeekly.com, when you get to this stage in the game, every fight is the most important fight of your career.

“That’s kind of the way this sport is, when you’re winning, you tend to rise up in competition and your next fight is always the most important fight in your career,” he said. “I’ve won my last fight (before Rettinghouse) and it’s not like you put on the breaks at that point, you’re always continuing up the ladder.

“If I beat (Soto), I’m definitely more on the map than I am now. I’m looking to make a lot of noise in this sport and it will put me up in the rankings and in that category of top-notch fighters, so that makes it the most important fight of my career so far as well.”

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Watch Dustin Poirier Stop Akira Corassani (UFC Hidalgo Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Before Dustin Poirier faces Michael Johnson at UFC Fight Night 94 in Hidalgo, Texas, watch this full fight video of Poirier stopping Akira Corassani. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

UFC's Derek Brunson Proves He's MW's Most Underrated but Still Faces Long Road

Following his first-round knockout of Uriah Hall in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 94, Derek Brunson proclaimed himself ready for a title shot. After dropping Hall with a left hand h read news >>