Cory Vom BaurWhile he hasn’t fought a lot in 2013, Northwest bantamweight prospect Cory Vom Baur is making the best of his limited opportunities.

After having made his successful CageSport debut last December, Vom Baur returned to the promotion in April and defeated current WSOF fighter Josh Rettinghouse for the CageSport 135-pound championship.

“Josh was a good opponent and I thought I performed pretty well,” said Vom Baur. “I finished it in the fifth round, which is always good to get a finish.

“I think I’ve improved a lot since then in all areas of my game training out of Sports Lab now.”

Vom Baur credits his training at Sports Lab for taking him to the next level.

“They do a really good job of producing well-rounded fighters,” said Vom Baur. “I have a kickboxing coach, a boxing coach, and a BJJ coach, and train on a consistent basis, five times a week.

“Really in this sport you have to be evolving in all aspects of your game, you have to be diversified and a complete fighter. At Sports Lab I can train on all aspects of my game.”

Vom Baur (6-2) may very well need every tool in his arsenal when he makes his debut for Tachi Palace Fights this Thursday in Lemoore, Calif., against former Bellator champion Joe Soto (11-2).

“I don’t know exactly what I have to do in order to get the win, but I do know that I have to punch him more times than he does to me and do more damage than he does to me,” said Vom Baur. “However that goes down, it’s going to go down.

“If you look at our skills, they probably cancel each other out, so I think it’s a pretty even match-up.”

Vom Baur acknowledges that his fight against Soto is the most important of his career thus far. But as he told MMAWeekly.com, when you get to this stage in the game, every fight is the most important fight of your career.

“That’s kind of the way this sport is, when you’re winning, you tend to rise up in competition and your next fight is always the most important fight in your career,” he said. “I’ve won my last fight (before Rettinghouse) and it’s not like you put on the breaks at that point, you’re always continuing up the ladder.

“If I beat (Soto), I’m definitely more on the map than I am now. I’m looking to make a lot of noise in this sport and it will put me up in the rankings and in that category of top-notch fighters, so that makes it the most important fight of my career so far as well.”

Julius Anglickas Building a Solid Career Heading into Next Shamrock FC Fight

Building off of an active amateur career, Julius Anglickas is on track heading into Saturday's Shamrock FC. read news >>

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

Former Champ Fabricio Werdum Faces Ben Rothwell at UFC 203

A mere two weeks after losing the heavyweight title, Fabricio Werdum already has his next fight booked. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

Marcelo Tenorio Faces Askar Mozharov in Full Metal Dojo 10 Main Event

Full Metal Dojo 10 is set for Bangkok this Saturday night. It will be headlined by a match-up between two Thailand based light heavyweights. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Rose Namajunas Faces Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 201

An intriguing matchup between strawweight contenders Rose Namajunas and Karolina Kowalkiewicz has been added to the July 30, UFC 201 fight card in Atlanta. read news >>