Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell UFC 115Having once ruled the UFC middleweight division, Rich Franklin now says that he is on the cusp of retirement.

In fact, Franklin told Inside MMA recently that he expects to fight one more time and that it will be his swan song.

Franklin won the UFC 185-pound strap in June of 2005, defeating the late Evan Tanner for the honor. He made two title defenses before a wrecking machine named Anderson Silva entered the Octagon.

Silva took the belt from Franklin. Even though he earned a rematch, Franklin couldn’t win his belt back. The rematch was in late 2007.

Franklin has remained competitive at the upper end of the middleweight division ever since, alternating between wins and losses.

“I lost my last fight (to Cung Le), and that really kind of solidified my decision to make this my last fight coming up,” Franklin told Inside MMA. “I know that took me out of title contention, and so for me to actually get back in the title hunt again would be a couple years worth of work.”

But at 39 years of age, time is running short on his mixed martial arts career, and Franklin is prepared to move on to the next chapter in his life.

“I’ll be 40 next year, and it’s getting to the point where it’s late in my life, and it’s really too late to make that title run. So I started questioning, what am I really fighting for if I can’t make it to the title anymore? I know I’m not in title contention anymore, and I realize that. That’s how it is.”

Franklin has already begun his post-fight career, launching into the juice business.

“(The juice business) will be my next phase,” he told MMAWeekly.com earlier this year. “In some capacity I’ll be involved in MMA. I’m not sure if I’ll end up commentating or analyzing or whatever way the UFC will end up using me in the future, but I don’t know how financially rewarding that will be. I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket, so I need to make sure I diversify with my income.”

While selling organic fruit juice might not seem like an obvious choice of direction for a former fighter, Franklin feels that the expertise that has helped him continue to hold his own in the UFC will serve him well in the next phase of his professional life.

“I’m very passionate about nutrition,” said Franklin. “I’m a fighter who’s very specific about nutrition and the way that I train and my work ethic. I could stand here and talk nutrition all day with you, so it’s a business that makes sense.”

It remains to be seen who Franklin will face in his final fight; “somebody who makes sense” is that matters to him. The next stage of his life has already begun, and he sounds content with what he was able to achieve in the fight game.

Former champ Miesha Tate plans to take some down time after UFC 205

NEW YORK – After a busy year, former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate is planning to take some time away from the sport following her upcoming UFC 205 bout with Raquel Pennington.Filed u read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping wants next defense at UFC 208, plans to retire when he drops belt

NEW YORK – With a record-tying 27 UFC fights to his name, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has put a time limit on his career – and it’s set around the length of his title reign.Filed under: read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Carrington Banks Plans to 'Put Offense on Jake Roberts' at Bellator 165 | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten lightweight Carrington Banks takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jake Roberts at Bellator 165 at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

UFC rep: 3 events scheduled for Brazil in 2017

SAO PAULO – The UFC plans to promote three events in Brazil in 2017, the same number held this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo 'knew' Conor McGregor's belt would be stripped; plans title defense and then rematch

Newly minted UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo said it was inevitable Conor McGregor would have to give up one of his titles. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 166's Chris Honeycutt Plans To Be Champion By End of 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

Chris Honeycutt looks to pick up his third win in a row when he takes on Ben Reiter at Bellator 166 on Friday. read news >>

Justin Lawrence Plans to 'Take John Teixeira's Head Off' at Bellator 167 | MMAWeekly.com

Justin Lawrence steps in on late notice for his return at Bellator 167 on Saturday to take on John Teixeira in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Hideki Sekine Plans to Submit Brandon Vera, Take His Belt at ONE: Age of Domination | MMAWeekly.com

He may be considered a longshot, but Hideki Sekine will be looking to take Brandon Vera out and capture the ONE heavyweight title on Friday. read news >>

Jordan Johnson Plans to Take Title at Final RFA Event, Make the Jump to UFC | MMAWeekly.com

• 18 hours ago

Undefeated Jordan Johnson headlines the final RFA event, looking for a championship and a springboard to the UFC. read news >>