renzo-gracie-3.jpgWorking out with Frankie Edgar and Roger Gracie has Renzo Gracie thinking about a return to the cage.

Whether it’s in the UFC or somewhere else remains to be seen, but the MMA forefather said he could be fighting in the next five months.

“I’ve been training with these guys, and they’re as tough as you can get,” Gracie (13-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’ve been hanging around with them and having fun, so for sure I’ll be ready [by] the end of the year to have some fun too.”

Of course, the jiu-jitsu master, who’s been a threat to any mere hoodlum looking for trouble on the streets, would rather have his fun in the octagon. That’s where he last strapped on gloves and fought, and while his UFC 112 bout with UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes didn’t go his way – and wasn’t exactly must-see TV – he remains under contract with the promotion.

It’s now just a matter of convincing Zuffa executives to let him fight, or let him go.

“The UFC, they became a machine,” Gracie said. “So if you’re name is not out there and you’re not fighting, it’s difficult to keep yourself (busy).

“So it’s like if I don’t fight there, I don’t mind. I’ll be fighting for ONE; I’ll be fighting a Japanese organization. This for me is fun, and thank god I don’t need the money to do it.”

Gracie, who trains several UFC vets at his popular academy in New York City, said he’s sharpened his skills working alongside peers as they prepare for octagon bouts. Now he wants to put them into practice.

“I’ve begun getting in shape, and I don’t believe I’ll have a problem to find a place to fight,” he said. “I do it because I like it, and I do believe it improves you and makes you better. It keeps you sharp and brings you a knowledge that you can pass ahead to the people you train.”

Prior to UFC 112, Gracie hadn’t fought in three years. His appearance in the 2007 debut of EliteXC ended in controversy, as opponent Frank Shamrock was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee. He faired better in a pair of appearances with the now-defunct IFL, winning bouts against fellow MMA legends Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton.

Asked whom he’d like to fight in a return, Gracie said, “I would rather fight someone tough. Don’t bring me no wimp. Don’t insult me – bring me someone there that can beat me up.”

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Veteran heavyweight Josh Barnett notified of potential USADA violation

The UFC today announced that USADA has notified UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett of a potential anti-doping violation stemming from a Dec. 9 out-of-competition drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Josh Barnett Flagged for Potential Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett has been flagged for a potential anti-doping violation. UFC officials made the announcement on Tuesday. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Mom Comments on Star's Potential Retirement After UFC 207 Loss

Following Ronda Rousey's stunning 48-second loss to Amanda Nunes in Las Vegas at UFC 207 on Friday night, Rousey's mother, AnnMaria De Mars, expressed hope her daughter would consider retirement. As read news >>

Conor McGregor: 7 Potential Fights for His UFC Return

Conor McGregor is the biggest star in the UFC—perhaps even more so now that Ronda Rousey has suffered a much-publicized fall from grace. The Irishman is, along with Rousey, the only true guarantee fo read news >>

Mike Goldberg Was 'Speechless' When Let Go by the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

• 2 hours ago

Mike Goldberg began working for the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 1997. On Dec. 28 at UFC 207, Goldberg did play-by-play for his final UFC event. read news >>

Anthony Hamilton vs. Marcel Fortuna added to UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston

• 46 minutes ago

A heavyweight matchup will serve as a late addition to next month’s UFC Fight Night 104 event in Houston.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why Court McGee likes the cut of UFC Fight Night 103 opponent Ben Saunders' jib

PHOENIX – When it comes to MMA careers, Court McGee knows he’s got a lot in common with his upcoming UFC Fight Night 103 opponent, Ben Saunders.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

10 reasons to watch Sunday's UFC Fight Night 103, including B.J. Penn's oft-delayed return

B.J. Penn has gone more than six years without a win. Inside, check out 10 reasons to watch his return to action at UFC Fight Night 103.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Yair Rodriguez Looks to Become the UFC's First Superstar from Mexico

As a child growing up in Parral, Mexico, Yair Rodriguez watched MMA videos with his brother and cousin. They paid close attention to Fedor Emelianenko, Anderson Silva and other legends who made the s read news >>

Despite 23 UFC fights, here's why 32-year-old Joe Lauzon isn't slowing down

PHOENIX – At 32 lightweight Joe Lauzon has been in the UFC for more tha a decade. Still, he doesn’t see himself falling behind his younger competition: “I don’t feel that they’ve got a head start on read news >>