renzo-gracie-3.jpgWorking out with Frankie Edgar and Roger Gracie has Renzo Gracie thinking about a return to the cage.

Whether it’s in the UFC or somewhere else remains to be seen, but the MMA forefather said he could be fighting in the next five months.

“I’ve been training with these guys, and they’re as tough as you can get,” Gracie (13-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’ve been hanging around with them and having fun, so for sure I’ll be ready [by] the end of the year to have some fun too.”

Of course, the jiu-jitsu master, who’s been a threat to any mere hoodlum looking for trouble on the streets, would rather have his fun in the octagon. That’s where he last strapped on gloves and fought, and while his UFC 112 bout with UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes didn’t go his way – and wasn’t exactly must-see TV – he remains under contract with the promotion.

It’s now just a matter of convincing Zuffa executives to let him fight, or let him go.

“The UFC, they became a machine,” Gracie said. “So if you’re name is not out there and you’re not fighting, it’s difficult to keep yourself (busy).

“So it’s like if I don’t fight there, I don’t mind. I’ll be fighting for ONE; I’ll be fighting a Japanese organization. This for me is fun, and thank god I don’t need the money to do it.”

Gracie, who trains several UFC vets at his popular academy in New York City, said he’s sharpened his skills working alongside peers as they prepare for octagon bouts. Now he wants to put them into practice.

“I’ve begun getting in shape, and I don’t believe I’ll have a problem to find a place to fight,” he said. “I do it because I like it, and I do believe it improves you and makes you better. It keeps you sharp and brings you a knowledge that you can pass ahead to the people you train.”

Prior to UFC 112, Gracie hadn’t fought in three years. His appearance in the 2007 debut of EliteXC ended in controversy, as opponent Frank Shamrock was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee. He faired better in a pair of appearances with the now-defunct IFL, winning bouts against fellow MMA legends Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton.

Asked whom he’d like to fight in a return, Gracie said, “I would rather fight someone tough. Don’t bring me no wimp. Don’t insult me – bring me someone there that can beat me up.”

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Eddie Alvarez Has Conor McGregor in the Training Room | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of UFC 205 Embedded, Eddie Alvarez and Frankie Edgar get some motivation with Conor McGregor in the training room. read news >>

Frankie Edgar responds to Conor McGregor's criticism he wasn't good enough to headline UFC 205

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor recently said he would have been fighting Frankie Edgar in the UFC 205 headliner had Edgar not lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 200 earlier this year. “The Answer” heard those comme read news >>

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Doesn't Remember the Possible Illegal Knee (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar talks to the press after his victory over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 in New York City. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Decisions Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the highlights of the UFC 205 featherweight fight between Frankie Edgar and Jeremy Stephens that took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. read news >>

UFC 205 winner Frankie Edgar's future may be at 135 – unless Conor McGregor is game

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar fought a very Frankie Edgar-type fight on Saturday UFC 205, and he survived a scare and came back to take a clear unanimous-decision victory. Could bantamweight be next?Filed read news >>