renzo-gracie-3.jpgWorking out with Frankie Edgar and Roger Gracie has Renzo Gracie thinking about a return to the cage.

Whether it’s in the UFC or somewhere else remains to be seen, but the MMA forefather said he could be fighting in the next five months.

“I’ve been training with these guys, and they’re as tough as you can get,” Gracie (13-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’ve been hanging around with them and having fun, so for sure I’ll be ready [by] the end of the year to have some fun too.”

Of course, the jiu-jitsu master, who’s been a threat to any mere hoodlum looking for trouble on the streets, would rather have his fun in the octagon. That’s where he last strapped on gloves and fought, and while his UFC 112 bout with UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes didn’t go his way – and wasn’t exactly must-see TV – he remains under contract with the promotion.

It’s now just a matter of convincing Zuffa executives to let him fight, or let him go.

“The UFC, they became a machine,” Gracie said. “So if you’re name is not out there and you’re not fighting, it’s difficult to keep yourself (busy).

“So it’s like if I don’t fight there, I don’t mind. I’ll be fighting for ONE; I’ll be fighting a Japanese organization. This for me is fun, and thank god I don’t need the money to do it.”

Gracie, who trains several UFC vets at his popular academy in New York City, said he’s sharpened his skills working alongside peers as they prepare for octagon bouts. Now he wants to put them into practice.

“I’ve begun getting in shape, and I don’t believe I’ll have a problem to find a place to fight,” he said. “I do it because I like it, and I do believe it improves you and makes you better. It keeps you sharp and brings you a knowledge that you can pass ahead to the people you train.”

Prior to UFC 112, Gracie hadn’t fought in three years. His appearance in the 2007 debut of EliteXC ended in controversy, as opponent Frank Shamrock was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee. He faired better in a pair of appearances with the now-defunct IFL, winning bouts against fellow MMA legends Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton.

Asked whom he’d like to fight in a return, Gracie said, “I would rather fight someone tough. Don’t bring me no wimp. Don’t insult me – bring me someone there that can beat me up.”

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Jose Aldo Video: Frankie Edgar is the Next Step in a Rematch with Conor McGregor

Jose Aldo sees Frankie Edgar as the next step in getting a rematch with Conor McGregor to take back the UFC featherweight championship. read news >>

Roger Gracie to Fight Michael Pasternak for Inaugural ONE Light Heavyweight Belt

Roger Gracie and Michael Pasternak will fight for the inaugural ONE Championship light heavyweight title. read news >>

Frankie Edgar on Jose Aldo Rematch: ‘I Have the Momentum This Time’

Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar says everything is different heading into his UFC 200 rematch with former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo. read news >>

While Roger Gracie Loves BJJ, His Heart is Set on Winning ONE Light Heavyweight Title

Following a nearly two year layoff, light-heavyweight Roger Gracie of the famed Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu clan is ready to return to MMA in a battle for the belt. read news >>

Michal Pasternak Brings a Never Say Die Attitude into ONE Championship Title Fight

Roger Gracie's name nor accomplishments instill fear in Michal Pasternak, who hopes to defeat him for the inaugural ONE Championship light heavyweight title. read news >>

Frankie Edgar on Interim Title: ‘It’s the Number One Contender Belt’

Former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar is on the verge of being only the third two-division UFC titleholder, but feels like it's a fight to be the top contender. read news >>

Journey Neson Working His Way Up the Bantamweight Division

Undefeated Journey Neson is working his way up the bantamweight division. He returns to the cage at SFL: America on Saturday night. read news >>

Joe Rogan Comments on Potential Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Fight

UFC commentator Joe Rogan thinks Conor McGregor has what it takes to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. should the two fight in the future, although he concedes it’s unlikely the two will face off. Speculatio read news >>

Carlos Diego Ferreira Pulled from UFC Fight Night 88 for Potential Anti-Doping Violation

Carlos Diego Ferrera was pulled from UFC Fight Night 88 on Friday after the UFC was informed of him potentially violating the company's Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

VIDEO: Conor McGregor and Dana White Had Dinner So Let the Speculation Begin

Dana White and Conor McGregor are working on their relationship and we got all the feels. read news >>