Rad Martinez Says Delay in Bellator Final with Shahbulat Shamhavaev a Blessing in Disguise


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Rad MartinezThis past December was supposed to be the culmination of a long road of hard work for Utah featherweight Rad Martinez.

Having worked his way through two very tough fights in last year’s Bellator 145-pound tournament, Martinez was one fight away from winning it all and earning a shot at a championship, when things went awry.

Martinez’ opponent, Shahbulat Shamhavaev, was forced out of their bout at the last minute, delaying their tournament finals match.

“To be honest, I was frustrated,” said Martinez. “It had been a long couple months preparing for the tournament and the first two fights of the tournament were grueling battles and I was ready to have a culmination. I was down and pretty upset and couldn’t believe it, but it turned out to be a blessing.”

That blessing, as Martinez puts it, is the fact that he has an opportunity now to take the tournament title Thursday night live on Spike TV in his home state of Utah in front of the people who have followed his career from the start.

When asked if fighting in front of his hometown crowd would be added pressure or added motivation, Martinez told MMAWeekly.com, “I feel it’s a little bit of both.

“You’ve got to defend your house and nobody wants to ever lose in front of their family and friends. But I can’t really let myself think too much of that. It’s just another fight and I think in the end it’s going to be more of a motivator.”

Martinez says in the months since the delay, nothing has changed as far as preparation for the fight other than one thing.

“I’m much more healthy,” he said. “Those two bouts I had previously and then fighting the next month is hard for anybody to do, so I feel healed up in my body and not so beat up and exhausted.”

Martinez is looking to use the discrepancy between his and his opponent’s ground games coupled with the fact he’s fighting at an altitude he’s comfortable at to sway the fight in his favor.

“Obviously, if you look at the dynamics of the fight, he’s a world champion kickboxer who wants to stand up with people and knock them out, while I’m a wrestler,” said Martinez. “I feel like my advantage is to take him to the ground and see how he works off his back.

“He’s had quick knockouts in his last couple fights, while I’ve had these long, grueling wars. I train out here, and if you don’t, you get shocked when you come out here. I feel like it’s going to be an advantage and it’s going to work in my favor. I’m going to grind on him and try to make him tired and get a victory.”

Now that he’s so close to achieving a huge milestone in his career, Martinez is keen to remain focused on Thursday night only and leave whatever comes as a result of it for when it’s finally over.

“A lot of big things come with winning this fight, but I’m not trying to think too far ahead of facing this guy Thursday night,” he said. “If I’m lucky enough to get this victory, a lot of good things happen, but right now I’ve got to concentrate on Shahbulat and then see what happens after that.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 24 views

Bellator MMA introduced Scott Coker, Strikeforce’s founder and former CEO, as its new president this past week. The fight promotion’s new head executive today issued a letter to fans.Filed under: Bellator, News more

  • 27 days ago
  • 27 views

It's been a little over a week since former Strikeforce founder Scott Coker replaced Bjorn Rebney as the president of operations for Bellator MMA. And while things remain quiet as Viacom plots out the future for what has already been referred to as "Bellator 2.0," Coker offered fight fans a sneak preview on Thursday, posting a letter on Bellator.com that can be seen in its entirety below. Dear Bellator Nation, I wanted to take a moment and tell you all how excited I am to be a part of the Bellat more

  • 27 days ago
  • 46 views

Since signing on with Bellator MMA, Scott Coker has remained relatively quiet. more

  • 28 days ago
  • 57 views

Until then, you can relive all the action here. Newport Beach, Calif. (June 25, 2014) - Spike TV will telecast an encore presentation of one of MMA's most memorable events of 2014, "BELLATOR MMA: RAMPAGE vs KING MO" on Friday, July 18 at 9:00pm ET/PT. For the first time on free television, fans that missed Bellator's first-ever pay-per-view event can witness the highly-anticipated grudge match between Rampage Jackson and King Mo plus epic upset victories for Will Brooks and Tito Ortiz. Fans can more

  • 28 days ago
  • 38 views

The end of the line has come for Eric Prindle and several other fighters, who are no longer on Bellator's roster. Bellator's house cleaning has extended beyond just ousting Bjorn Rebney and Tim Danaher. Earlier this week, the promotion confirmed the release of 19 fighters from its roster, most notably former heavyweight tournament winner Eric Prindle. The 38-year-old went on a run of just 1 win in his last 7 fights, and was stopped by James Thompson earlier this month. Prindle is best known, and more

  • 28 days ago
  • 44 views

Fight fans who missed the initial airing of Bellator's debut pay-per-view now have a chance to catch it for free. An encore presentation of Bellator 120 will air on Friday, July 18 at 9:00pm ET/PT on Spike TV, promotion officials announced on Wednesday. The replay is scheduled to debut one week before Bellator returns with its latest Summer Series event, Bellator 122. Bellator 120 originally took place on May 17 at the Landers Center in Southaven, MS. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson squeaked out a con more

  • 28 days ago
  • 22 views

If you missed Bellator MMA’s recent pay-per-view debut, you can watch a replay next month on Spike TV.Filed under: Bellator, News more

  • 28 days ago
  • 50 views

But insists the releases were done prior to the hiring of former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. Bellator MMA, which fired Bjorn Rebney just last week, has also said goodbye to 19 fighters under contract for the Viacom-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, including former title challengers Eric Prindle (heavyweight) and Anthony Leone (bantamweight). Here is the complete list of releases (via MMA Fighting): Eric PrindleAnthony LeoneRodrigo LimaFrank BacaNick KirkTravis MarxHiroshi NakamuraSerge more

  • 28 days ago
  • 29 views

Several names were removed from Bellator’s roster. Bellator officials confirmed to MMAFighting.com on Wednesday that 19 fighters were released from the promotion, including former title challengers Eric Prindle and Anthony Leone. The list was initially posted on Sherdog Forum. The list also includes Frank Baca, Nick Kirk, Travis Marx, Hiroshi Nakamura, Rodrigo Lima, Sergej Grecicho, Jared Downing, Jason Fischer, Tim Welch, Nathan Coy, Anthony Lemon, Trey Houston, Vaughn Anderson, Keith Berry, Je more