Prior to signing with Bellator, Rad Martinez was thought to have been a solid up-and-coming prospect in the featherweight division, and as it turns out, he’s been as advertised.

In three fights in the promotion since his debut late last year, Martinez has stepped up against increasingly difficult opposition and earned his way into Friday’s featherweight tournament semifinals.

“Before, when I was in the local scene, I was winning a lot of fights wondering what it would be like to step up into the bigger promotions and face that competition,” said Martinez. “After these three fights, it’s made me feel like I belong and that I’m a pretty good fighter.

“It’s been nice to have this run, and the competition is only going to get better, so I’m looking forward to the challenge and enjoying it.”

Just to get to Friday’s semifinals, Martinez had to overcome the toughest fight of his career against Nazareno Malegarie in October.

“Fighting a guy as experienced as Nazareno is – having 20-something fights – I knew that nobody had stopped him and he would be a tough fight,” said Martinez. “We ended up beating each other up for three rounds and I won a close decision.

“It showed me that I can stand in there and take some damage a little bit and also give out some myself instead of taking the fight to the ground and just work my wrestling. Knowing I can take a punch and beat a guy like that with so much experience gives me a lot of confidence going into this next fight.”

Martinez’s opponent in Hollywood, Fla., this Friday at Bellator 80, Wagnney Fabiano, would seemingly mirror Nazareno. Still, Martinez doesn’t think that while his recent opponents share similar credentials that they will fight him the same way.

“It’s a completely new fight, but at the same time, some of the things that worked for me in the last fight I believe will work for me in this fight,” said Martinez. “This fight going in, we’re thinking he’s going to try to take me down and submit me, but if it turns into a fight like the last one, I’ll be there and ready for a battle like that.

“Wagnney, I believe, is more of a counter fighter and going back and trying to use the perimeter of the cage, so I have to be very aggressive. I also have to be on my toes, because even though I have a strong wrestling background, I’ve got to make sure I don’t get lazy and get caught in a takedown and have the fight go where he wants it.”

With a spot in the finals on the line, it would be understandable if Martinez wanted to lay up a bit in this fight in anticipation of the next, but as he told, he’s not going to forsake the future for the present.

“I absolutely do not look past this fight and forward to the next at all,” he said. “The worst thing I could do would be to try to conserve myself for this fight expecting to make it to the finals, and make a mistake and get beat. So right now it’s only this fight and only after victory do I start thinking about that.”

Stay tuned to for all the latest Bellator news and updates.

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>

Bellator 145's Michael Chandler: 'I just know I'm better than Will Brooks'

Bellator executives haven’t come right out and told Michael Chandler what he’s fighting for at Bellator 145 next week, other than a paycheck and a possible win on his resume.Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>

New Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho wants to win GLORY title, too

Newly minted Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho would like to add kickboxing titleholder to his list of accomplishments.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>