Prior to signing with Bellator, Rad Martinez was thought to have been a solid up-and-coming prospect in the featherweight division, and as it turns out, he’s been as advertised.

In three fights in the promotion since his debut late last year, Martinez has stepped up against increasingly difficult opposition and earned his way into Friday’s featherweight tournament semifinals.

“Before, when I was in the local scene, I was winning a lot of fights wondering what it would be like to step up into the bigger promotions and face that competition,” said Martinez. “After these three fights, it’s made me feel like I belong and that I’m a pretty good fighter.

“It’s been nice to have this run, and the competition is only going to get better, so I’m looking forward to the challenge and enjoying it.”

Just to get to Friday’s semifinals, Martinez had to overcome the toughest fight of his career against Nazareno Malegarie in October.

“Fighting a guy as experienced as Nazareno is – having 20-something fights – I knew that nobody had stopped him and he would be a tough fight,” said Martinez. “We ended up beating each other up for three rounds and I won a close decision.

“It showed me that I can stand in there and take some damage a little bit and also give out some myself instead of taking the fight to the ground and just work my wrestling. Knowing I can take a punch and beat a guy like that with so much experience gives me a lot of confidence going into this next fight.”

Martinez’s opponent in Hollywood, Fla., this Friday at Bellator 80, Wagnney Fabiano, would seemingly mirror Nazareno. Still, Martinez doesn’t think that while his recent opponents share similar credentials that they will fight him the same way.

“It’s a completely new fight, but at the same time, some of the things that worked for me in the last fight I believe will work for me in this fight,” said Martinez. “This fight going in, we’re thinking he’s going to try to take me down and submit me, but if it turns into a fight like the last one, I’ll be there and ready for a battle like that.

“Wagnney, I believe, is more of a counter fighter and going back and trying to use the perimeter of the cage, so I have to be very aggressive. I also have to be on my toes, because even though I have a strong wrestling background, I’ve got to make sure I don’t get lazy and get caught in a takedown and have the fight go where he wants it.”

With a spot in the finals on the line, it would be understandable if Martinez wanted to lay up a bit in this fight in anticipation of the next, but as he told MMAWeekly.com, he’s not going to forsake the future for the present.

“I absolutely do not look past this fight and forward to the next at all,” he said. “The worst thing I could do would be to try to conserve myself for this fight expecting to make it to the finals, and make a mistake and get beat. So right now it’s only this fight and only after victory do I start thinking about that.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Bellator news and updates.

Benson Henderson Will Get His Second Bellator Title Shot in November

After failing to win the Bellator welterweight title, former UFC champion Benson Henderson will get his second crack at a Bellator belt in November. read news >>

Bellator Continues Global Expansion with Championship Fight in Israel

Bellator continues its global expansion under the leadership of company president Scott Coker with a November event in Israel. read news >>

CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The UFC gave Mickey Gall a prime spot against CM Punk, which the 24-year-old ran with by submitting the former WWE champion via rear-naked choke in the first round at UFC 203 in Cleveland on Saturday read news >>

Veta Arteaga Knows What She Signed Up for at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated flyweight Veta Arteaga knows what she signed up for at Bellator 161, and she's ready. read news >>

Derek Campos Expecting Explosive Fight with Djamil Chan at Bellator 161 | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Campos steps into a Bellator 161 lightweight bout against Djamil Chan on Friday, in what could very well end up being a title elimination bout. read news >>

Did Bellator Find Its Own Paige VanZant in Russian Flyweight Anastasia Yankova?

Anastasia Yankova is very pretty. It feels disingenuous to start anywhere else. It's always been a part of her story, even back to her amateur days at a tournament where no one would cheer for her. S read news >>

Tony Johnson Believes a Win Over Cheick Kongo Paves Way to Bellator Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Johnson has worked his way into a heavyweight main event fight against Cheick Kongo at Bellator 161 on Friday. Is it his route to the title? read news >>

Mark Dickman Says He's a 'Step Above' Bellator 161 Opponent Daniel Pineda | MMAWeekly.com

Mark Dickman will make his return at Bellator 161 on Friday in Texas to take on local veteran Daniel Pineda in a preliminary card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Weigh-in Video and Results | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson weigh-in is slated for Thursday, Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. Watch it streaming live on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>