Earlier this month UFC President Dana White confirmed that his promotion is exploring a deal to standardize uniforms for fighters, which prompted pushback from former middleweight title challenger Nate Quarry and current women’s strawweight Felice Herrig.

Now Pat Miletich has entered the debate, and he doesn’t think the uniforms would be a good deal for fighters.

“This is not the NFL,” the former UFC welterweight champion told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “These guys are not under certain contracts with their teams. They don’t get 50-plus percent of all sales of all clothing and memorabilia and everything else like players do in the NFL and Major League Baseball and everything else. So quite frankly, I think it’s bulls--t. That’s just the way I feel.”

Miletich, a color commentator for AXS TV, compared the situation to his time as a coach in the International Fight League. He said he was contacted by Muscle Milk to sponsor his team, the Silverbacks, but that the IFL intervened and instead struck a deal for Muscle Milk to sponsor the entire league.

“Suddenly I got an email from the IFL saying that they had signed Muscle Milk to a league deal and that all teams would be forced to wear the Muscle Milk logo on their uniforms on the way out to the cage and in the fights,” Miletich recalled. “All the coaches got this email; everybody got the email. So I wanted to make sure everybody got my reply, and I sent back an email and I said, ‘You pirated my sponsorship,’ and I said, ‘The Silverbacks will not be wearing the Muscle Milk logo. As a matter of fact, we’re going to make sure we take markers and black them all out on our uniforms and you can kiss my ass.’”

Miletich said he then got a call from an IFL executive, to whom he explained how much money his team had lost from the demise of the original sponsorship proposal.

“Everybody was going to get an even piece of that,” Miletich said he told the executive, “and that’s how much I’m going to get or you can kiss my ass and we’re not wearing those logos out to the cage. And they buckled. They sent me a check. I showed all the fighters [on the Silverbacks] the check and then I cut them all a check out of that.”

A standoff might be much more difficult in the UFC, but that doesn’t change Miletich’s viewpoint on uniforms.

“I can go on and on and on about this stuff, but it’s bullying and a lot of the sponsors that used to sponsor fighters don’t do it anymore because many of them were forced, from what I understand, to pay the UFC a certain amount of money to even have the right to do that, and they couldn’t afford it,” he said. “I understand the UFC is running a business and I don’t blame them for that, but at the same time the athletes, at some point, need to get involved and stand together and say you know what? That’s enough.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:02:17).

From Around the Web

Dana White: UFC ‘going to support’ Anderson Silva regardless of NAC punishment

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Anderson Silva failed multiple failed tests before and after his UFC 183 bout with Nick Diaz, and UFC president Dana White "has no idea what’s going to happen" next. Silva and Diaz, read news >>

Dana White: No matter what, UFC 'going to support' Anderson Silva

The UFC president made it clear that his company will stand behind it's former champion, regardless the outcome of his ongoing PED case. Anderson Silva has been with the UFC for almost nine years. Ov read news >>

Dana White: T.J. Dillashaw-Renan Barao rematch to be rebooked 'sooner than later'

UFC President Dana White said he doesn’t expect a long delay before he can rebook the bantamweight title rematch between injured champ T.J. Dillashaw and No. 1 contender Renan Barao. Filed under: MMA read news >>

Georges St-Pierre 'Thinking About' UFC Return, Contrary to Dana White Comments

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has confirmed he is "thinking about" a return to the octagon. The French-Canadian fighter's hiatus from competition came after he admitted, "I had t read news >>

Brock Lesnar Never Close to UFC Return Ahead of WWE Renewal, Says Dana White

• a day ago

UFC President Dana White has confirmed the organisation never came close to re-signing WWE superstar Brock Lesnar. The South Dakota native revealed his decision to carry on professional wrestling dur read news >>

UFC 194 on Tap for Madison Square Garden in December?

• a day ago

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Thursday that his promotion is holding a December date for Madison Square Garden. Is UFC 194 headed to New York? read news >>

UFC issues press release in support of recent video piracy arrest

While some MMA fans may not be too pleased about news of the arrest of prolific media pirate (believed to be "Sir Paul") this week, the UFC is definitely beaming. The UFC's long running battle agains read news >>

Dana White confirms Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia to headline UFC 190 in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO – Ronda Rousey’s next fight is now official. She’ll meet Bethe Correia at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

It’s Official, Ronda Rousey Faces Bethe Correia at UFC 190

UFC president Dana White on Friday officially announced that women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey would face Bethe Correia in Brazil. read news >>