Pat Curran won the Bellator featherweight title Friday, but he believes the bout should have been stopped sooner.

The finish came 1:25 into the third round. After stunning Warren with a knee, Curran battered him against the cage with punches and more knees. Referee Jeff Malott allowed the beating to continue even though Warren appeared out on his feet.

“He definitely could have stopped it 10, 15 seconds sooner,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “There’s no reason anybody should take that much damage. That’s why the ref’s there, to step in when a fighter can’t properly defend himself. I just hope Joe didn’t suffer any serious injuries and he has a quick recovery.”

Although the sustained punishment Warren took may have overshadowed Curran’s performance somewhat, it’s hard to deny that the 24-year-old has become one of the top featherweights in the world. He has won four straight and eight out of nine, losing only a unanimous decision to Eddie Alvarez at 155 pounds. After that loss he dropped to 145 pounds and won the Bellator 2011 Summer Series featherweight tournament.

“Ever since the last loss against Eddie Alvarez, I took that as a learning experience,” Curran said. “I went back to the gym and fixed my mistakes. I just was really confident and happy moving back down to 145. The biggest thing was just the confidence. I wanted to run through the tournament and I did. I always knew that once I had that second opportunity to become champion, I wasn’t going to let that pass me by.”

Next up he’s expected to defend his title against Patricio Freire, who won the featherweight tournament in Bellator’s fourth season. A broken hand prevented the Brazilian from challenging Warren for the belt, but Curran thinks he’ll meet “Pitbull” in the cage this summer or fall, when both are healthy.

“I did injure my ankle early in the first round in the fight with Warren,” Curran said. “I’m going to get that checked out [Tuesday], and hopefully it’s nothing too serious, but I’m pretty sure I’ve torn something in my ankle. It’s shifting and moving around. I get to find out later in the week how serious the injury is. If I need surgery, I’m going to be out for a couple of months and need the recovery time. It all depends on how my ankle’s doing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:18:56).

Former champ Pat Curran meets Justin Lawrence at Bellator 145

Another important matchup has been added to Bellator's next tentpole event. Former featherweight champion Pat Curran will meet Justin Lawrence at Bellator 145: Vengeance on Nov. 6 in St. Louis, the o read news >>

Former Bellator champ Pat Curran faces UFC vet Justin Lawrence at Bellator 145

Justin Lawrence will return to the Bellator cage for the second time when he faces former featherweight champion Pat Curran at Bellator 145.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145 Draws Pat Curran vs. Justin Lawrence Main Card Bout

Bellator's featherweight championship will be defended in the main event of Bellator 145, but former champ Pat Curran will also face Justin Lawrence on the card. read news >>

Bellator 145: 'American Kidd' Justin Lawrence vs Pat Curran fight set for Scottrade Center

Another big Featherweight fight is signed for Bellator MMA's return to St. Louis as "The American Kidd" Justin Lawrence will meet former champion Pat Curran. Former The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) competi read news >>

The Impossible Task: Meet the Fighter Who Could Beat UFC Champion Ronda Rousey

The latest chapter in the Ronda Rousey story took just 34 seconds, a furious blitz ending in a right hand to the temple that turned poor Bethe Correia's lights out. For pay-per-view buyers, that's $1 read news >>

Watch UFC 190 post-fight press conference full video replay with Dana White

HIGHLIGHTS! Gone In 34 Seconds! Thomas Myers Watch Ronda Rousey vs. Bethe Correia full fight video highlights from last night in UFC 190's main event inside HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, feat read news >>

Rousey vs. Correia Results: Immediate Post-Fight Comments and Top Highlights

"Rowdy" Ronda Rousey's latest demolition took just 34 seconds on Saturday night in Brazil at UFC 190. Rousey destroyed Bethe Correia to remain undefeated and put a stamp on a grudge match between her read news >>

Watch Ronda Rousey Destroy Bethe Correia in 34 Seconds at UFC 190

Thirty-four seconds. The Queen of the UFC never ceases to amaze. Ronda Rousey was intent on punishing opponent Bethe Correia, and she did just that. Rousey stood and exchanged with the Brazilian stri read news >>

Knockout! Ronda Rousey vs Bethe Correia full fight video highlights from last night: UFC 190

Gone in 34 seconds ... Controlled chaos? Not really sure how to described the furious UFC 190 main event, which included enraged women's Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, who was mad as hell that B read news >>