Pat Curran won the Bellator featherweight title Friday, but he believes the bout should have been stopped sooner.

The finish came 1:25 into the third round. After stunning Warren with a knee, Curran battered him against the cage with punches and more knees. Referee Jeff Malott allowed the beating to continue even though Warren appeared out on his feet.

“He definitely could have stopped it 10, 15 seconds sooner,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “There’s no reason anybody should take that much damage. That’s why the ref’s there, to step in when a fighter can’t properly defend himself. I just hope Joe didn’t suffer any serious injuries and he has a quick recovery.”

Although the sustained punishment Warren took may have overshadowed Curran’s performance somewhat, it’s hard to deny that the 24-year-old has become one of the top featherweights in the world. He has won four straight and eight out of nine, losing only a unanimous decision to Eddie Alvarez at 155 pounds. After that loss he dropped to 145 pounds and won the Bellator 2011 Summer Series featherweight tournament.

“Ever since the last loss against Eddie Alvarez, I took that as a learning experience,” Curran said. “I went back to the gym and fixed my mistakes. I just was really confident and happy moving back down to 145. The biggest thing was just the confidence. I wanted to run through the tournament and I did. I always knew that once I had that second opportunity to become champion, I wasn’t going to let that pass me by.”

Next up he’s expected to defend his title against Patricio Freire, who won the featherweight tournament in Bellator’s fourth season. A broken hand prevented the Brazilian from challenging Warren for the belt, but Curran thinks he’ll meet “Pitbull” in the cage this summer or fall, when both are healthy.

“I did injure my ankle early in the first round in the fight with Warren,” Curran said. “I’m going to get that checked out [Tuesday], and hopefully it’s nothing too serious, but I’m pretty sure I’ve torn something in my ankle. It’s shifting and moving around. I get to find out later in the week how serious the injury is. If I need surgery, I’m going to be out for a couple of months and need the recovery time. It all depends on how my ankle’s doing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:18:56).

Hisaki Kato Believes His MMA KO Power Will Transfer To Bellator 157 Kickboxing Bout

Hisaki Kato will make his return to Bellator on June 24 in St. Louis, Missouri, in a rematch of sorts against the fighter he last beat in the promotion, Joe Schilling. read news >>

Toughest Fight Yet Could Lead Ilima-Mei Macfarlane to Bellator Title Fight

Ilima-Mei Macfarlane believes that if she can score an impressive victory at Bellator Dynamite 2, she could be in store for a flyweight title fight. read news >>

Patricky "Pitbull" Freire Finally Ready to Sit the Bellator Lightweight Throne

After five years of settling for "almost," Bellator lightweight Patricky "Pitbull" Freire (16-7) is finally fighting for the promotion's top prize. Twice Freire advanced to the finals of a tournament read news >>

Rampage Jackson vs. Satoshi Ishii Results: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 157

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson improved his Bellator record to 4-0 with a split-decision win over Satoshi Ishii in the main event at Bellator 157 on Friday. MMAjunkie.com tweeted out the scorecards from t read news >>

Bellator 157 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Dynamite 2 Card

Well, that was boring. In a less-than-entertaining main event at Bellator 157 in St. Louis, a fleshy Quinton "Rampage" Jackson took a split decision over Satoshi Ishii. The bout drew boos from the Sc read news >>

Watch: Michael Chandler Scores One-Punch Knockout at Bellator Dynamite 2

Bellator 157 was a bit of a slog for a while there. Sure, there were some fireworks in Matt Mitrione's debut opposite Carl Seumanutafa, but the middle of the card was ho-hum at best. Enter Michael Ch read news >>

Bellator Dynamite 2 Results: ‘Rampage’ Takes Split Decision, Michael Chandler Reclaims Lightweight Title

In a highly-competitive heavyweight main event at "Bellator: Dynamite 2," “Rampage” Jackson edged out Satoshi Ishii with a split decision victory on Friday night. read news >>

Bellator 157: Dynamite 2 Post-Fight Press Conference Video Replay

The Scottrade Center in St. Louis hosted Bellator 157: Dynamite 2 on Friday, which included kickboxing and MMA fights. Following the event, the big winners spoke to the media. read news >>

Bellator’s Scott Coker: ‘We’re Going After All Free Agents,’ Including Rory MacDonald

Bellator president Scott Coker says they are going after all free agents, including Rory MacDonald. read news >>

VIDEO: Bellator Continues to Rekindle Pride FC Spectacle

Although it's unlikely that the efforts of Bellator or Rizin will ever bring back the golden era of Pride FC, that hasn't stopped them from trying. read news >>