Pat Curran won the Bellator featherweight title Friday, but he believes the bout should have been stopped sooner.

The finish came 1:25 into the third round. After stunning Warren with a knee, Curran battered him against the cage with punches and more knees. Referee Jeff Malott allowed the beating to continue even though Warren appeared out on his feet.

“He definitely could have stopped it 10, 15 seconds sooner,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “There’s no reason anybody should take that much damage. That’s why the ref’s there, to step in when a fighter can’t properly defend himself. I just hope Joe didn’t suffer any serious injuries and he has a quick recovery.”

Although the sustained punishment Warren took may have overshadowed Curran’s performance somewhat, it’s hard to deny that the 24-year-old has become one of the top featherweights in the world. He has won four straight and eight out of nine, losing only a unanimous decision to Eddie Alvarez at 155 pounds. After that loss he dropped to 145 pounds and won the Bellator 2011 Summer Series featherweight tournament.

“Ever since the last loss against Eddie Alvarez, I took that as a learning experience,” Curran said. “I went back to the gym and fixed my mistakes. I just was really confident and happy moving back down to 145. The biggest thing was just the confidence. I wanted to run through the tournament and I did. I always knew that once I had that second opportunity to become champion, I wasn’t going to let that pass me by.”

Next up he’s expected to defend his title against Patricio Freire, who won the featherweight tournament in Bellator’s fourth season. A broken hand prevented the Brazilian from challenging Warren for the belt, but Curran thinks he’ll meet “Pitbull” in the cage this summer or fall, when both are healthy.

“I did injure my ankle early in the first round in the fight with Warren,” Curran said. “I’m going to get that checked out [Tuesday], and hopefully it’s nothing too serious, but I’m pretty sure I’ve torn something in my ankle. It’s shifting and moving around. I get to find out later in the week how serious the injury is. If I need surgery, I’m going to be out for a couple of months and need the recovery time. It all depends on how my ankle’s doing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:18:56).

Chris Honeycutt Sees a Paul Bradley Finish Putting Him on Fast Track to a Bellator Belt

Chris Honeycutt believes that if he can finish Paul Bradley on Friday night, it could put him on the fast track to a Bellator belt. read news >>

Bellator 148's Honeycutt on Bradley rematch: 'I never start something without finishing'

Chris Honeycutt said he’s ready to put the Paul Bradley portion of his career in the past when they meet at Bellator 148, even if he had to wait seven months to do it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 148 live video stream and official results (7:40 p.m. ET)

Bellator 148 takes place today, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 7:40 p.m. ET (4:40 p.m. PT).Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Raphael Butler Predicts Victory Over Tony Johnson at Bellator 148

Heavyweight Raphael Butler faces Tony Johnson on the Bellator 148 main card and predicts that he'll 'get the W.' read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2131 with Scott Coker and K.J. Noons

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Scott Coker and K.J. Noons.Filed under: Bellator, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Patricky Freire looking for quick knockout of Ryan Couture at Bellator 148

Patricky Freire was mentally wrecked after dropping his rematch with Derek Anderson in his most recent trip to the Bellator cage. He looks to bounce back tonight at Bellator 148 but has a tall order read news >>

Andy Uhrich Has ‘Nothing to Lose and Everything to Gain’ in Bellator 148 Main Event

Andy Uhrich knows he's not expected to beat Paul Daley at Bellator 148 on Friday, but he also knows that means he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. read news >>

Bellator 148 Results: Paul Daley Picks Up Quick Finish, Fires Shots at Josh Koscheck

Paul Daley showed off his punching power when he blasted Andy Uhrich with a first-round knockout in the main event at Bellator 148 on Friday evening. read news >>

Bellator 148 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Daley vs. Uhrich

Paul "Semtex" Daley made quick work of Andy Uhrich in the main event at Bellator 148 in Fresno, California, on Friday night. The powerful British welterweight stalked his overmatched opponent and ult read news >>

Bellator 148 video: 4 KOs, including walkoffs from Paul Daley and Patricky 'Pitbull'

Friday’s Bellator 148 main card was a stoppage-heavy affair with four knockouts in four fights, including some “Knockout of the Year” candidates a month into 2016.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Fea read news >>