scott-jorgensen-ufc-on-fx-3SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Scott Jorgensen‘s move from bantamweight down to flyweight has been pretty easy. Then again, when you make weight at 135 pounds despite sneaking cheeseburgers into your diet, 125 pounds isn’t too much of a strain.

Despite being ranked No. 8 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, Jorgensen knew his road to a title shot would be a long one since his recent losses have come to the division’s elite. So for Saturday’s UFC on FOX 9 event, he’s dropping to flyweight and hoping to revive his championship hopes.

Up first for Jorgensen (14-7 MMA, 3-3 UFC), a WEC vet, is former Bellator MMA champion Zach Makovsky (16-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who recently replaced injured John Dodson (15-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC). They meet on the FOX Sports 1-televised preliminary card of the event, which airs from Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

While weight cuts and division drops can be menacing for even savvy vets, Jorgensen said it’s been a solution to not only his title-shot problem, but also his overall health.

“I’m great,” he today told MMAjunkie. “I feel as great as I’ve ever felt. I’m healthier now than I was at 135, and I’ve done it the right way. It’s why I haven’t fought in so long.

“I woke up today at 132. I’m still eating, still drinking, still feed good. I’ll make this weight real easy.”

He said one reason he’s healthier and feeling better is that the bantamweight division gave him a little too much of a leash to resort to bad habits, namely his diet.

“It’s a long story, but the short of it? Fighting at 135, I was eating whatever I wanted whenever,” said Jorgensen, who suffered a submission loss to Urijah Faber in his final bantamweight bout earlier this year. “Even in camp, I could sneak a cheeseburger in there, eat whatever I wanted, even pizza. Now I hired Phase IV Sports Physiology.

“I never ran before. … I trained hard just to get in shape, and I was always in better shape than anyone I’ve ever fought. But this time, we hired these sports physiologists, and they put me on a running regiment, my diet was built around my wrestling metabolism rate and how I actually burn calories just resting, and throughout the whole duration of this, I never dipped below what I was burning. I was never in a deficit, calorie-wise.”

He saw the results quickly, and for the first time, he’s now going to wake up on weigh-in day with little to worry about.

“Just by doing that, the first eight weeks I lost 10 pounds,” he said. “I went from walking around at 148 – and still eating and drinking and being normal – down to 137, 138.

“And now that we’re getting ready for the cut, we’re doing it the smart way. I used to cut eight pounds of water the morning of because I could. Now it’s easy. I love it.”

For more on UFC on FOX 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Dennis Bermudez: Jeremy Stephens has looked like 'he's going to die' during past 145 weight cuts

LAS VEGAS -- Dennis Bermudez discusses his long layoff, getting over his loss to Ricardo Lamas, his UFC 189 opponent Jeremy Stephens, the Conor McGregor show, why Costas Philippou retired, and more. read news >>

The UFC Cutting Room Floor: Hatsu Hioki and long goodbyes

Zane Simon goes in depth on the most recent UFC roster cuts, just who the fighters were, and whether or not we might expect them back soon. New to this episode, a look at the UFC signings from the mo read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Jr. stripped of WBO welterweight title after 'failing to comply' with rules and regs

Easy come, easy go. Undefeated boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. will say goodbye to the WBO welterweight title he won by defeating Manny Pacquiao last May in Las Vegas, Nevada, after failing to compl read news >>

Report: UFC cuts 14 fighters, ends 'prison sentence' for relieved light heavyweight

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has been doing a little housekeeping this week, cleaning out its roster of whatever talent it no longer considers to be essential personnel. Among those names is read news >>

Nutritionist George Lockhart talks IV ban, how to safely cut weight and rehydrate

Top MMA nutritionist, George Lockhart gave his expert insight into the recently announced IV rehydration ban, how to safely cut weight and rehydrate, the impact of body fat percentage for fighters, a read news >>

UFC 189: Chael Sonnen reveals dramatic 28-pound weight cut looming for Conor McGregor

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight contender Conor McGregor needed to lose 28 pounds for his interim title fight, which takes place in the UFC 189 pay-per-view (PPV) main event this S read news >>

UFC 190's Claudia Gadelha fires back at Joanna 'little girl' Jedrzejczyk following 'easy win' comments

No disrespect to Jessica Aguilar, but I would love to see this rematch. Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk was looking ahead to her next fight, pres read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk wants Claudia Gadelha rematch, says she’d ‘win easy’ this time around

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk reveals that she is interested in a rematch against Brazil’s Claudia Gadelha. read news >>

BJ Penn slams UFC's weight-cutting 'wimps,' calls IV hydration 'the biggest joke ever'

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight prospect Anthony Birchak called the "shitty" guidelines of the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) "fucking dumb," not long after learning that read news >>

Rampage campaigning for Jones Jr. to face Wolfslair teammate in September

Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson has thrown his weight behind a campaign to have his sparring partner Tony Moran selected as Roy Jones Jr’s opponent for an upcoming bout in Liverpool, England. The former PR read news >>