scott-jorgensen-ufc-on-fx-3SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Scott Jorgensen‘s move from bantamweight down to flyweight has been pretty easy. Then again, when you make weight at 135 pounds despite sneaking cheeseburgers into your diet, 125 pounds isn’t too much of a strain.

Despite being ranked No. 8 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, Jorgensen knew his road to a title shot would be a long one since his recent losses have come to the division’s elite. So for Saturday’s UFC on FOX 9 event, he’s dropping to flyweight and hoping to revive his championship hopes.

Up first for Jorgensen (14-7 MMA, 3-3 UFC), a WEC vet, is former Bellator MMA champion Zach Makovsky (16-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who recently replaced injured John Dodson (15-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC). They meet on the FOX Sports 1-televised preliminary card of the event, which airs from Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

While weight cuts and division drops can be menacing for even savvy vets, Jorgensen said it’s been a solution to not only his title-shot problem, but also his overall health.

“I’m great,” he today told MMAjunkie. “I feel as great as I’ve ever felt. I’m healthier now than I was at 135, and I’ve done it the right way. It’s why I haven’t fought in so long.

“I woke up today at 132. I’m still eating, still drinking, still feed good. I’ll make this weight real easy.”

He said one reason he’s healthier and feeling better is that the bantamweight division gave him a little too much of a leash to resort to bad habits, namely his diet.

“It’s a long story, but the short of it? Fighting at 135, I was eating whatever I wanted whenever,” said Jorgensen, who suffered a submission loss to Urijah Faber in his final bantamweight bout earlier this year. “Even in camp, I could sneak a cheeseburger in there, eat whatever I wanted, even pizza. Now I hired Phase IV Sports Physiology.

“I never ran before. … I trained hard just to get in shape, and I was always in better shape than anyone I’ve ever fought. But this time, we hired these sports physiologists, and they put me on a running regiment, my diet was built around my wrestling metabolism rate and how I actually burn calories just resting, and throughout the whole duration of this, I never dipped below what I was burning. I was never in a deficit, calorie-wise.”

He saw the results quickly, and for the first time, he’s now going to wake up on weigh-in day with little to worry about.

“Just by doing that, the first eight weeks I lost 10 pounds,” he said. “I went from walking around at 148 – and still eating and drinking and being normal – down to 137, 138.

“And now that we’re getting ready for the cut, we’re doing it the smart way. I used to cut eight pounds of water the morning of because I could. Now it’s easy. I love it.”

For more on UFC on FOX 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Joe Rogan speaks out, asks UFC to open up women’s featherweight division for 'Cyborg'

• 21 hours ago

Longtime UFC commentator Joe Rogan hates hard weight cuts, so watching Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino get to 140 pounds – officially 141 – had to be hard for him.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trading Shots: Why the sudden sympathy for 'Cyborg' Justino's tough weight cut?

• 6 hours ago

Why did 'Cyborg' Justino's struggle to get to 140 pounds for her UFC Fight Night 95 bout generate so much more sympathy than most fighters get when they struggle to meet the contracted weight? Downes read news >>

UFC on Fox 21 Results: Demian Maia Continues to Make the Impossible Look Easy

The things Demian Maia does inside the Octagon are supposed to be impossible, yet somehow he continues to make them look easy. Maia’s uncanny march through the welterweight division rolled on Saturda read news >>

UFC 203 Weigh-in Results: CM Punk Easily Makes Weight, Overeem Fined $500

All but one of the UFC 203 competitors made weight on Friday morning, and everyone on the main card came in on the mark. The most anticipated was CM Punk. The former WWE Superstar has had a treasure read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 203

Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem both made weight for Saturday’s heavyweight title tilt at UFC 203, although there was a fair bit of drama on the scales on Friday morning. The Dutch star was late to read news >>

Medeiros kicks off UFC 203 with submission win

Former lightweight standout Yancy Medeiros made a successful move to the 170-pound weight class in the UFC 203 opener at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland on Saturday night, submitting Sean Spencer in read news >>

Chael Sonnen's Anger Motivated His Return | MMAWeekly.com

Ready to fight at gangster weight, Chael Sonnen signed with Bellator to make his MMA return. He said it's because he is angry. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Struggling to Make Weight; Argues with Nutritionist Over Birth Control | MMAWeekly.com

Cris Cyborg is once again struggling to make weight, but this time, a UFC headlining bout is on the line. Will she make it? read news >>

UFC Won't Add New Women's Divisions Any Time Soon | MMAWeekly.com

UFC only has world titles for two women's divisions: the 135-pound weight class and the 115-pound division. That's not going to change any time soon. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Is Killing Herself to Make Weight Again | FIGHTLAND

In all of MMA no one may have it worse than Cris “Cyborg.” In an era when Jon Jones can violate the USADA’s rules and the state of New Mexico’s laws and still be in the running to rule his chosen div read news >>