Benson Henderson captured the UFC lightweight title from Frankie Edgar in the main event of UFC 144 on Saturday night, busting up the former champion en route to a unanimous decision victory at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Though Henderson (Pictured, file photo) may now reign over arguably the toughest division in the promotion, the new champion is taking the biggest win of his career in stride.

“It’s pretty cool. I enjoy it. I’m pretty tired. I had to take a lot of photos,” Henderson told Fox Sports following his title-winning performance. “[It’s been] a journey. I want to soak it up.”

Henderson’s victory did not come easily, as the notoriously resilient champion fought tooth-and-nail for 25 minutes in an effort to retain his title. Edgar tried to set the pace in the early going, finding a home for his jab. It was in round two, however, that the bout’s momentum swung in favor of the challenger.

Following an Edgar takedown, Henderson clipped the former champion with a perfectly-timed upkick, damaging Edgar’s nose as he attempted a haymaker. While the blow staggered Edgar, Henderson believes that the tide truly turned in the next frame.

“I wouldn’t say [I had him with the upkick],” Henderson recalled. “I would say in the third round [I did]. I was pumping my jab, and he flinched.”

Edgar and Henderson continued to scrap tit-for-tat through the championship rounds, but in the end, it was Henderson who had the gold strapped around his waist.

While Henderson now rules UFC lightweights, it was not so long ago that a bevy of questions surrounded the Arizonan following his WEC 53 loss to Anthony Pettis in December 2010. Four consecutive victories and one UFC title later, Henderson appears to have answered any doubters.

“I don’t begrudge anybody their opinions. I heard a few people [say], ‘Who is this Ben Henderson guy? Who does he think he is? He’s not Top 10 in the world,’” Henderson said. “Well, that was your opinion a year and a half ago, even less than that. I’m not mad at you for your opinion, but I think your opinion might be a little off.”

What will come next for the new champion is currently unknown. While many observers are pining for a rematch with Pettis -- the man who dethroned Henderson as World Extreme Cagefighting champion -- other feel that Edgar is deserving of another shot at the belt. As for Henderson, he welcomes either challenge.

“[Fighting Pettis or Edgar], it doesn’t really matter to me. I want to defend [my title] as many times as Anderson Silva defends his, plus one,” said Henderson. “Whoever it is, I’m OK with it. There is a long list of guys: Nate [Diaz], Jim [Miller], Frankie, Anthony. Let’s do every single one of them.”

Eddie Alvarez Has Conor McGregor in the Training Room | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of UFC 205 Embedded, Eddie Alvarez and Frankie Edgar get some motivation with Conor McGregor in the training room. read news >>

Frankie Edgar responds to Conor McGregor's criticism he wasn't good enough to headline UFC 205

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor recently said he would have been fighting Frankie Edgar in the UFC 205 headliner had Edgar not lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 200 earlier this year. “The Answer” heard those comme read news >>

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Doesn't Remember the Possible Illegal Knee (UFC 205 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar talks to the press after his victory over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 in New York City. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Decisions Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the highlights of the UFC 205 featherweight fight between Frankie Edgar and Jeremy Stephens that took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. read news >>

UFC 205 winner Frankie Edgar's future may be at 135 – unless Conor McGregor is game

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar fought a very Frankie Edgar-type fight on Saturday UFC 205, and he survived a scare and came back to take a clear unanimous-decision victory. Could bantamweight be next?Filed read news >>