Nate Marquardt

Nate Marquardt

While the details about why Nate Marquardt was removed from Sunday’s UFC on Versus 4 card remain in the dark, the Colorado fighter and the UFC had known about the potential issue for the last six weeks.

Pennsylvania Athletic Commission executive director Greg Sirb revealed the information when speaking to on Sunday.

According to Sirb, Marquardt and the UFC were notified that he had not met the necessary medical requirements as of six weeks ago. He was given up until an hour before weigh-ins on Saturday to resolve the situation, but he was never able to clear things up.

“Nate has known for probably about a month and a half. He knew the situation. It was no surprise. Everybody (including the UFC) knew. Everybody’s known. I think everybody assumed he was going to be able to qualify,” Sirb said.

“I thought he would (qualify); I really did.”

Because of strict medical privacy rules in the state of Pennsylvania the commission is unable to provide any details as to what Marquardt did not complete prior to the Saturday deadline.

“We’ve known about it and we gave him every opportunity. The last report we got was three o’clock (Saturday). We gave him as much leeway as we could. Obviously we’ve got a live event, you’ve got to make the call. The UFC made the call when we said no he’s not going to meet it,” Sirb commented.

“Pretty straight forward stuff. He had to meet these requirements and there were no and, if, or buts about it and unfortunately he did not.”

The executive director did say that while the commission is unable to say what Marquardt did or didn’t do, Marquardt is able to speak about it, but as of Sunday neither the fighter nor his management have made a statement.

“We can’t say anything. This state is real tight on those types of laws. HIPPA laws are very strict. If Nate’s here, I don’t know if he’s here or not, he’s free to talk,” Sirb stated.

Sirb admits that he felt bad for Marquardt not being able to fight. After the situation reached a boiling point on Saturday, UFC president Dana White released Marquardt from the promotion.

“I told him I felt for the kid. I really did. He knew about it, he was trying, and he missed out on a big payday,” Sirb said about Marquardt.

As far as the future fallout for Marquardt following Saturday’s events, he still has to satisfy the medical issues that kept him from competing on the card. He will be indefinitely suspended until he satisfies the commission’s requirements.

“He didn’t meet the requirements, the medicals anyway. He’s going to be put on suspension. When he meets those requirements, he’ll be taken off. How long the suspension is, is up to him,” Sirb said.

“He needs to show us a new report. If that report comes in and it meets our requirements, it could be tomorrow and we’ll take him off. It could be two months, but it’s an indefinite suspension until he brings in that report we’re looking for.”

Once Marquardt was out, Sirb said his replacement Charlie Brenneman was able to hop in with no issues because he had already completed all the necessary requirements. Brenneman was previously set to compete on the UFC on Versus 4 fight card until his opponent T.J. Grant fell of the card due to sickness.

Now the local fighter gets a chance to fight on his hometown card and face Rick Story in the co-main event of the evening.

“A bad situation, which is what it is, creates a Rocky story for Charlie Brenneman,” Sirb said. has made several attempts to reach Marquardt and his camp, but as of the time of publication they have not made a statement or returned any calls.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Floyd Mayweather reacts to Nick Diaz suspension: 'Let the man smoke weed and enjoy his life'

  • 17 days ago

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) isn't going to be receiving a lot of Christmas cards this year, especially from the mixed martial arts (MMA) community after the governing body suspended Nick read news >>

NSAC suspends Nick Diaz five years, $165k fine

  • 24 days ago

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today handed down its harshest punishment on a fighter to date, suspending Nick Diaz for five years following his positive UFC 183 marijuana test.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Jake Shields Gets Community Service for Role in Fight with Rousimar Palhares

  • 24 days ago

The Nevada State Athletic Commission handed out some discipline to a California MMA fighter at their Monday hearing. No, we're not talking about Nick Diaz. Welterweight Jake Shields received 50 hours read news >>

Nick Diaz vs. the Nevada Athletic Commission: Three lessons learned

  • 23 days ago

In the wake of UFC welterweight Nick Diaz's outrageous suspension and fine from the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday, there are three major lessons to takeaway. read news >>

Video: Three lessons learned from the Nick Diaz suspension

  • 23 days ago
  • 15 views's Luke Thomas offers his thoughts on the Nevada Athletic Commission's five-year suspension of Nick Diaz. read news >>

PDF: Wanderlei Silva vs NSAC heads to supreme court

  • 23 days ago

This will be good practice for Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), considering its likely to end up in front of a judicial review for its controversial Nick Diaz suspension, which took place ear read news >>

Ronda Rousey slams Nevada Athletic Commission for Nick Diaz suspension

  • 23 days ago

Ronda Rousey is fired up about Nick Diaz's suspension. At a UFC 193 press conference in Australia on Tuesday night, the UFC women's bantamweight champion ripped the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) f read news >>

CSAC returns random drug test results for Bellator's Phil Davis, King Mo, and more

  • 23 days ago

California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) paid a little visit to the cast and crew of Bellator MMA. Specifically, all four light heavyweights competing in the promotion's 205-pound tournament, whic read news >>

Fan Perspective: With Nick Diaz, was the Nevada commission out of its damn mind?

  • 22 days ago

When the Nevada State Athletic Commission handed down a career-crippling five-year suspension to UFC vet Nick Diaz, did the regulatory body go too far?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Fitch: The NSAC probably expected Nick Diaz to kiss their ass

  • 18 days ago

Not long after Jon Fitch criticized the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for not teaching Rousimar Palhares a lesson for his antics at Bellator 141, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship ( read news >>