Mike Wessel UFC 92In the grind that can be sports, it’s easy to understand if someone loses motivation and ends up just going through the motions. For Bellator heavyweight Mike Wessel, that was the case when he lost to Scott Barrett in January of last year.

“I realized that I didn’t care as much as I needed to,” said Wessel. “My heart and motivation wasn’t in it, and that was my biggest factor in winning any fight. My heart and my desire to succeed is one of my biggest assets, and I kind of lost that with Scott and was just doing it for a paycheck and I didn’t like that.”

Wessel took some time off and surrounded himself with a support system of good people, and has since reeled off two wins in a row.

“The fight against Matt (Kovacs) was a good fight to re-introduce myself and this last fight against Ryan Martinez was a performance that showed I could go the distance, go hard and I can keep things moving,” said Wessel.

“I think Bellator respected that and saw that I’m a guy that takes this seriously and gave me another shot.”

Wessel’s shot will come Friday night at Bellator 75 where he takes on Richard Hale as part of the promotion’s Season 7 Heavyweight Tournament.

“He’s got great hands and good athleticism, so the key for me is to use inside boxing and not let him control the fight,” said Wessel of Hale. “I can’t let him run around and control the cage. On the ground he is very sneaky, so I have to be very focused and aware of what he’s doing.

“If I get in close and I’m able to stay inside to where his reach won’t matter, I really think I have a very good shot of putting him against the cage and taking him down and finishing him there or knocking him out.”

Getting the opportunity to be part of the heavyweight tournament and control his own destiny is something that Wessel is extremely thankful for, especially following a brief and disappointing stint in the UFC four years ago.

As Wessel told MMAWeekly.com, not many people get a second chance to make a huge impact in their career.

“I kind of screwed up in the past,” said Wessel. “I wasn’t mature enough or wasn’t into the right things or chose the right people to be around myself. I’m putting my best effort forward and win, lose or draw, I know I’ve done everything I can to be successful.

“Of course I want to win, of course I want to win a belt because I’ve always been the runner-up, the second place guy throughout my career, and I want to know what it’s like to be a champion and show people that I belong.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Bellator news and updates.

Michael Chandler Motived By Opportunity and Challenge Heading into Bellator 157

Michael Chandler is focus on the rematch of a 2011 bout with Patricky “Pitbull” Freire for the vacant Bellator 155-pound title on June 24 in St. Louis, Missouri. read news >>

Hisaki Kato Believes His MMA KO Power Will Transfer To Bellator 157 Kickboxing Bout

Hisaki Kato will make his return to Bellator on June 24 in St. Louis, Missouri, in a rematch of sorts against the fighter he last beat in the promotion, Joe Schilling. read news >>

Bellator 157: Dynamite 2 Fight Card, TV Info, Predictions and More

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (36-11) is back. On Friday night at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, the 38-year-old MMA legend will take on Satoshi Ishii (14-5-1) in Jackson's first Bellator bout since read news >>

Bellator: Dynamite 2 Weigh-in Results and Video: Rampage Returns vs. Ishii

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is set to make his Bellator return opposite Satoshi Ishii at Dynamite 2 on Friday night after the fighters weighed in on Thursday. read news >>

Toughest Fight Yet Could Lead Ilima-Mei Macfarlane to Bellator Title Fight

Ilima-Mei Macfarlane believes that if she can score an impressive victory at Bellator Dynamite 2, she could be in store for a flyweight title fight. read news >>

Patricky "Pitbull" Freire Finally Ready to Sit the Bellator Lightweight Throne

After five years of settling for "almost," Bellator lightweight Patricky "Pitbull" Freire (16-7) is finally fighting for the promotion's top prize. Twice Freire advanced to the finals of a tournament read news >>

Rampage Jackson vs. Satoshi Ishii Results: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 157

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson improved his Bellator record to 4-0 with a split-decision win over Satoshi Ishii in the main event at Bellator 157 on Friday. MMAjunkie.com tweeted out the scorecards from t read news >>

Bellator 157 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Dynamite 2 Card

Well, that was boring. In a less-than-entertaining main event at Bellator 157 in St. Louis, a fleshy Quinton "Rampage" Jackson took a split decision over Satoshi Ishii. The bout drew boos from the Sc read news >>

Watch: Michael Chandler Scores One-Punch Knockout at Bellator Dynamite 2

Bellator 157 was a bit of a slog for a while there. Sure, there were some fireworks in Matt Mitrione's debut opposite Carl Seumanutafa, but the middle of the card was ho-hum at best. Enter Michael Ch read news >>

Bellator Dynamite 2 Results: ‘Rampage’ Takes Split Decision, Michael Chandler Reclaims Lightweight Title

In a highly-competitive heavyweight main event at "Bellator: Dynamite 2," “Rampage” Jackson edged out Satoshi Ishii with a split decision victory on Friday night. read news >>