Referee Steve Mazzagatti may or may not have intervened too quickly on Jake Ellenberger’s behalf Friday at “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale, but regardless Martin Kampmann doesn’t feel it affected the outcome of the fight.

“At first I thought maybe it was a little bit early,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “Because I don’t like early stoppages at all. I like letting them go as much as possible. I thought it looked a little early, but when I saw the replay, it didn’t look like [Ellenberger] was doing much defense. He was just kind of curling up on his side. I don’t think it would have been much different if [Mazzagatti] gave him a couple of extra seconds. I had plenty of elbows left.”

The finish came 1:40 into the second round. Kampmann had hurt Ellenberger with a right hand and dropped him with a knee from the clinch. However, in the first round, it was Kampmann who found himself on his back after eating a left hook.

“I would have been pissed if [Mazzagatti] had tried to stop the fight on my first knockdown,” Kampmann said. “That was just a flash knockdown. I was still going. I was still moving as soon as I landed on my ass. I wasn’t out. I think he did a good job letting it go there.”

If it were up to Kampmann, Mazzagatti would have given Ellenberger a little bit longer to recover too. That doesn’t mean he necessarily disagrees with the stoppage, though. He just doesn’t want it to take away from what proved to be a dramatic comeback win.

“It sucks for me to hear people complain about it because I feel I was in the best position possible,” Kampmann said. “I would have happily let the fight go on for a little bit longer because [Ellenberger] was just turned up on his side and he wasn’t really doing any defense at all. I don’t like when people try to take away from my victory.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:30:36).

UFC 201 Results: Underdog Jake Ellenberger Stops Matt Brown in the First

Jake Ellenberger picked up a big win on Saturday, stopping Matt Brown in the first round of their fight at UFC 201 in Atlanta. read news >>

Matt Brown vs. Jake Ellenberger: Results and Reaction from UFC 201

Wow. Anyone else need a cigarette after that? No one would blame you if you did. Welterweight action fighters Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger brought some thunder to Atlanta at UFC 201, with Ellenber read news >>

UFC 201 Fighter Bonuses: Jake Ellenberger, Other Main Carders, Take Top Honors

Jake Ellenberger led the charge as the top three fights at UFC 201 scooped up the $50,000 post-fight bonuses. read news >>

UFC 201 Fight Highlights: Jake Ellenberger Makes Quick Work of Matt Brown

Check out the UFC 201 fight highlights from the bout between Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger. read news >>

UFC Welterweight Class: Hot Mess or Hotter Than Ever After Woodley's Title Win?

It didn’t take the MMA world long to get comfortable with Robbie Lawler as UFC welterweight champion. Any initial doubts about the future of the 170-pound division without Georges St-Pierre quickly s read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 Roster Loading Up Quickly for Portland

The Octagon returns to Portland, Ore., with UFC Fight Night 96 on Oct. 1, and the fight card is filling up fast. read news >>

VIDEO: Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz Presser Erupts in Bottle Throwing Melee

The UFC 202 pre-fight press conference quickly devolved into a melee of bottles and cans flying everywhere. read news >>

Cody Garbrandt vs. Takeya Mizugaki Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

It didn’t take long, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to deny Cody Garbrandt of a UFC title shot at 135 pounds. Garbrandt (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) took the center of the cage right away during UF read news >>

Nate Diaz Video: ‘I Didn’t Think for a Second That I Lost’ (UFC 202)

Nate Diaz may have ended up on the wrong end of the decision at UFC 202 on Saturday night, but he didn't think for a second that he had lost to Conor McGregor. read news >>