Referee Steve Mazzagatti may or may not have intervened too quickly on Jake Ellenberger’s behalf Friday at “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale, but regardless Martin Kampmann doesn’t feel it affected the outcome of the fight.

“At first I thought maybe it was a little bit early,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “Because I don’t like early stoppages at all. I like letting them go as much as possible. I thought it looked a little early, but when I saw the replay, it didn’t look like [Ellenberger] was doing much defense. He was just kind of curling up on his side. I don’t think it would have been much different if [Mazzagatti] gave him a couple of extra seconds. I had plenty of elbows left.”

The finish came 1:40 into the second round. Kampmann had hurt Ellenberger with a right hand and dropped him with a knee from the clinch. However, in the first round, it was Kampmann who found himself on his back after eating a left hook.

“I would have been pissed if [Mazzagatti] had tried to stop the fight on my first knockdown,” Kampmann said. “That was just a flash knockdown. I was still going. I was still moving as soon as I landed on my ass. I wasn’t out. I think he did a good job letting it go there.”

If it were up to Kampmann, Mazzagatti would have given Ellenberger a little bit longer to recover too. That doesn’t mean he necessarily disagrees with the stoppage, though. He just doesn’t want it to take away from what proved to be a dramatic comeback win.

“It sucks for me to hear people complain about it because I feel I was in the best position possible,” Kampmann said. “I would have happily let the fight go on for a little bit longer because [Ellenberger] was just turned up on his side and he wasn’t really doing any defense at all. I don’t like when people try to take away from my victory.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:30:36).

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 86 headliner Ben Rothwell quickly tap Matt Mitrione

Before Ben Rothwell goes after his fifth straight win and fifth straight heavyweight finish in the UFC Fight Night 86 main event on Sunday in Croatia, check out how he stopped Matt Mitrione this past read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 pre-fight facts: Ben Rothwell out to extend stoppage streak

Croatia finally sees its first UFC event on Sunday when the octagon touches down in Zagreb for UFC Fight Night 86. Check out all the pre-fight facts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Video: No Love Lost

The UFC 199 rematch between middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and former titleholder Chris Weidman is quickly becoming a grudge match. read news >>

Dan Hardy eyeing superfights, not a title run, in potential UFC return

UFC veteran Dan Hardy hasn’t fought since September 2012 – a result of a heart condition. He hasn’t taken his eye off a comeback, however, and wants to be in big one-off fights to close out his caree read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 results: Lucas Martins takes split decision from Robert Whiteford

ZAGREB, Croatia – Lucas Martins didn’t exactly overwhelm Robert Whiteford over the course of three very careful rounds, but he did outpoint him by the slimmest of margins in the end. Filed under: New read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86: Damian Stasiak vs. Filip Pejic video highlights

Damian Stasiak didn’t give octagon newcomer Filip Pejic any space on the ground and it led to a quick first-round submission victory.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Highlights: Francis Ngannou Forces Doctor Stoppage for Curtis Blaydes

Watch the punishment doled out by Francis Ngannou forces the doctor to stop the fight for Curtis Blaydes at UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia. read news >>

Referee Mariusz Domasat Comments on Joao Carvalho vs. Charlie Ward Fight

The referee who was in charge of the fight that resulted in the death of Portuguese fighter Joao Carvalho, Mariusz Domasat, has insisted he stopped the contest at the right time. Carvalho fought Char read news >>

Cub Swanson almost didn’t fight at UFC on FOX 19, not sure of continued career with loss

TAMPA, Fla. – UFC featherweight Cub Swanson contemplated dropping out of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 19 when illness reared its head prior to his weight cut.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: ‘I Didn’t Want Nate Diaz to Get Screwed Up in This Whole Deal’

When Conor McGregor was pulled from the UFC 200 fight card, Nate Diaz was left without an opponent. Dana White hopes to rectify that. read news >>