Late in the first round of their heavyweight bout Saturday at UFC on Fox 3, Lavar Johnson backed Pat Barry up against the cage and teed off.

Barry managed to block some of the knees and punches coming at him, but too many got through and eventually he dropped, forcing referee Dan Miragliotta to stop the contest at 4:38.

“Once you’re up against the cage and you’re not firing back, then I can just pick my shots,” Johnson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “He’d block a couple of them, but the MMA gloves are so small, they’re going to sneak in eventually. There’s only so much you can take. I was just surprised that he didn’t try to shoot or grab me or anything. He just froze up, I guess.”

The fight began with both men headhunting. Barry changed it up, though, when he put Johnson on his back.

“That’s what we thought he was going to do,” Johnson said. “I didn’t expect him to come out and bang as quickly as he did. He’s been working a lot on his ground game. I was just surprised he took me down that easy.”

More surprises came on the ground. Barry moved into the mount at one point, but he quickly gave up the position in favor of side control.

“I was tripping too,” said Johnson, who had expected Barry to punch and elbow from the top. “I was like, ‘Oh man, here it comes. I’m going to have to buck and use all this energy to get him off me.’ And he just helped me out, I guess.”

After moving into side control, though, Barry secured a keylock that made Johnson grimace. Clearly Barry knew that four of his opponent’s five losses have come via submission.

“I was nervous for a second because he almost had me in a couple of submissions,” Johnson said. “He had it in tight twice, but I ended up pulling out. I just needed to create a little bit of space. I thought he was going to do a little bit more damage than he did. I was waiting for him to elbow me, but he didn’t. As soon as he gave me a little bit of space, I was able to get my arm underneath him and I was able to get back up.”

On the feet, Johnson delivered his second punishing finish in as many UFC bouts. He did see some room for improvement, though. Whomever he fights next, Johnson doesn’t want to be stuck underneath him, fending off submissions.

“I will be working on my ground game a lot more because that’s not cool,” Johnson said. “I’d like to get up a lot faster than what I did. I will be up at AKA with Cain [Velasquez] and all those guys a lot more for this [next] one, but anybody’s fine with me.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:36:41).

Martin Kampmann's one who got away? Georges St-Pierre

Martin Kampmann’s decision to retire from MMA didn’t come as a surprise to many. After all, the veteran hadn’t stepped into the UFC octagon since Aug. 28, 2013.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Rad read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Dominick Cruz regains title with split over T.J. Dillashaw

BOSTON – Dominick Cruz didn’t lose his bantamweight title in the cage and T.J. Dillashaw needed to beat him to prove that he was the true champion. Unfortunately for Dillashaw, Cruz returned in his o read news >>

Dominick Cruz's win, like his comeback, a testament to resilience and resolve

Dominick Cruz didn’t dominate T.J. Dillashaw to reclaim the UFC bantamweight title that he never technically lost, but after all he’s been through, maybe that’s the most fitting way for Cruz to burst read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dillashaw got manipulated, can't foresee return to Team Alpha Male

BOSTON – Urijah Faber didn’t want to come to Boston to see live the UFC bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz. He was there because he got paid – sort of.Filed under: Feat read news >>

How a couple of eyepokes changed Matt Mitrione’s career plans (spoiler: they didn’t)

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione expects to undergo surgery Monday for an orbital blowout fracture he suffered from a Travis Browne punch at UFC Fight Night 81.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 results: Randy Brown outworks Matt Dwyer for decision win

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t exactly blow away the competition in his UFC debut, but when pushed to the limit by Matt Dwyer, the much-hyped prospect did just enough to win in a very close fight. read news >>

Fighter reactions to Sage Northcutt's UFC on FOX 18 loss were harsh to say the least

Sage Northcutt’s fellow fighters didn’t hesitate to kick him while he was down after the 19-year-old suffered the first defeat of his career on Saturday at UFC on FOX 18.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC newcomer Randy Brown 'can't wait to do it again'

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t quite make the same impact as the man who blazed the trail he took to the UFC, Sage Northcutt, but “Rude Boy” said he felt comfortable in his win and is ready to go read news >>