King Mo Lawal Nov2_0810-478x270Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion “King Mo” Lawal enters his third Bellator MMA tournament on Friday in hopes of earning another title shot. On the opposite side of the bracket sits rival Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, who is matched up against Christian M’Pumbu. If Lawal defeats his first round opponent, Mikhael Zayats, he could face Jackson in the finals, but he’s not looking that far ahead.

“I’m focusing on Zayats,” Lawal told “If I look past Zayats, I could (expletive) around and get beat. I’m worried Mikhail. Once I get past Mikhail, it’s not given that Rampage is going to beat M’Pumbu. You don’t know what’s going to happen. No one is psychic. No one here is Ms. Cleo. No one can predict the future. We have to wait and see what happens.”

Lawal has limited information on his Russian opponent, but sees the former Combat Sambo Russia National Champion as a challenge.

“Good sambo, good submissions, stocky, from Russia. I see a solid opponent and I’m ready to fight him,” said the 33-year-old Lawal. “Sambo is just like jiu-jitu except it’s more of a wrestling base, kind of. I’m just training when it comes down to it, training for every position.”

While Lawal slightly tailors his preparation for specific opponents, he admits he doesn’t know what to expect when the two meet at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut on Friday.

“I do tailor it a little bit, but I train for every position because who knows what this dude is going to do. This dude could be like, you know, I’m going to work on spinning back tornado kicks. He could throw that in his repertoire,” he said.

Lawal isn’t looking past Zayats, but predicts that he’ll get past him in the tournament.

“I’m going to the next round. I’m doing this for Apollo Creed. The last time I saw a black man fight a Russian, he got killed in an exhibition,” said Lawal.

Bellator Champ Will Brooks on Patricky Freire: 'Dude Is Garbage'

Will Brooks isn't looking past Marcin Held. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few words for Patricky Freire. Brooks, who defends his Bellator lightweight title against Held this Friday at Bella read news >>

Blast From the Past: Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort Pride 32 Free Fight Video

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort met for the first time at PRIDE 32: The Real Deal. Relive their epic match-up to get ready for their grudge match at Fight Night 77. read news >>

Marcin Held scoffs at Will Brooks' 'one-dimensional' label ahead of Bellator title fight

Marcin Held has no interest in engaging in a war of words with Will Brooks ahead of their Bellator lightweight championship showdown at Bellator 145 on Nov. 6. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 gets Houston Alexander vs. Guilherme Viana and five more prelims

The lineup for Bellator 146 is complete with the addition of one main card bout and five preliminary contests.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>