When you think of MMA-based movies, comedy might not come immediately to mind. However, longtime MMA fan Kevin James has mixed the sport and the genre in his upcoming film “Here Comes the Boom,” which opens nationwide Friday.

“It really came from Joe Rogan and I talking,” James told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show when asked where he’d got the idea for an MMA comedy. “I’ve always wanted to try to incorporate some mixed martial arts into a movie, and Joe and I were talking about how we could make it a comedy. It seems difficult to do without making it goofy and jokey … . The challenge was just kind of getting a blend of real comedy and real moments and also infusing that with realistic MMA.”

James, perhaps best known for his role in the CBS sitcom “The King of Queens,” studied karate as a kid and watched the first UFC in 1993. He was also friends with Rogan, a fellow comedian who for years now has been a UFC commentator.

“We were doing standup [comedy] together and we started watching Pancrase and we saw Bas Rutten in Japan with all his fights,” James said. “We were watching this crazy dude with the knee-high boots and the bald head, doing all these flips in the ring and knocking people out. We were laughing at this guy, like this guy was insane. We would watch him as much as we could.”

Listen: Kevin James interview on SRN.

Eventually Rutten made his way to the UFC and won the heavyweight title. James got the chance to meet him, and the two hit it off.

“He’s just a great guy, a great friend, and that was kind of what inspired me all along to start making a movie to incorporate that,” James said, “showing the human side of this sport that I just respect, that I wouldn’t do necessarily, but I respect so much.”

In “Here Comes the Boom,” James plays a high school biology teacher who turns to professional fighting to raise money for his school. He said he wouldn’t have made the movie without the blessing of UFC President Dana White and owner Lorenzo Fertitta.

“The one thing, they didn’t want Paul Blart in the ring, in the Octagon, and I totally didn’t want that either,” said James, referring to the character he played in “Paul Blart: Mall Cop.” “I don’t want it to be goofy. We’re not trying to mock anything. They were the ones who said, ‘Listen, it’s not believable necessarily that you would be able to walk into the Octagon yourself, but you could be a decorated collegiate wrestler at one time.’ So we added that in there, and that I trained really hard and that I’m not fighting for the UFC championship, for the heavyweight championship. I’m fighting at the lower levels, the undercard, just because they have a [fighter] fall out and because of this great story of this teacher that’s coming up through the ranks, that they’ve given the opportunity.”

To play a fighter, James put in plenty of real training with coaches like Mark DellaGrotte and Rafael Cordeiro. The result is that his hands don’t look all that bad in the film.

“It’s a true testament to them making me look good, honestly,” James said. “I’ve always been into sports and athletics and I’ve always been into mixed martial arts a little bit here and there. The problem is my schedule. I don’t get time to train day in and day out. The fact of the matter is, I’m not that good. I’m really not. I don’t have the dedication that I wish I had to the sport or wish I could put into it, but I have worked hard, especially over the last 14 months, to train for this movie.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:55:54).

Ken Shamrock on Joe Rogan's fight-fixing talk: 'He could have ruined my career '

Ken Shamrock is miffed with Joe Rogan after the UFC commentator’s implication that Shamrock’s recent Bellator 138 fight with Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson had a “fixed” outcome. Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Ken Shamrock slams Joe Rogan over phony fix: 'He could have ruined my career and my life'

"Why in the world would someone in Joe Rogan's position sound off on something like that when there's no proof, when it's just speculation of his thoughts of what he thought? That could literally rui read news >>

Morning Report: Ken Shamrock says Joe Rogan 'could have ruined my career and life' with 'fake' fight comments

It hasn't been a great week for Ken Shamrock. After getting knocked out by Kimbo Slice in their grudge match June 19 at Bellator 138, Shamrock was slammed by a contingent claiming the UFC Hall of Fam read news >>

UFC Fight Night 70: Machida vs. Romero Preview Video

UFC commentator Joe Rogan breaks down the main event between Lyoto Machida and Yoel Romero set to headline UFC Fight Night in Hollywood, Fla. read news >>

Rogan thinks Slice vs. Shamrock 'looked fake', John McCarthy says Kimbo didn't tap

UFC announcer Joe Rogan thought Bellator 138's bout between Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock may not have been on the level. There has been a lot of debate over whether the Bellator 138 main event bout b read news >>

Morning Report: Joe Rogan believes Ken Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice looked 'suspect' and 'fake'

For some of us, the highlight of Friday night was FOX Sport's Katie Nolan combating trolls for calling the Bellator 138 main event between Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice, 'fixed.' Well, she wasn't the read news >>

UFC's Joe Rogan thinks Bellator 138 fight between Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock 'looked fake'

"I gotta tell you right now, that fight looked fake as fuck. There's a couple of things I don't like about that fight. I don't like that clinch, that long clinch that they had where they were mouth t read news >>

Bellator 138: Daniel Weichel on how Renzo Gracie inspired him to become a fighter

Bellator featherweight Number 1 contender, Daniel Weichel discusses how Renzo Gracie inspired him to become a fighter. Daniel Weichel might only be 30-years-old, but don't let that number fool you. H read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Yet another fighter 'annoyed' by Joe Rogan and his 'insulting' commentary

"The thing that was most insulting was by the last minute of the last round, Joe Rogan was talking about how bad my cardio was and how exhausted I was, as I was taking down my opponent. I was taking read news >>

Cathal Pendred slams Joe Rogan's commentary

UFC welterweight contender Cathal Pendred sounds off on Joe Rogan's commentary. Proud Irishman Cathal Pendred last fought in the Octagon against Sean Spencer at UFC Fight Night 59. Pendred's unanimou read news >>