Julia Budd Invicta FCJust five fights into her professional MMA career, former kickboxing champion Julia “The Jewel” Budd has begun to put things together and now she feels like the next step of her career is right around the corner.

“I feel like I’m starting to get more comfortable in there and am starting to believe more in my skills as a wrestler, as a Muay Thai striker and am becoming an overall well-rounded mixed martial artist,” said Budd. “I’m way more comfortable and continue to understand the game more.”

Having alternated wins and losses so far, Budd was looking to win her first back-to-back fights coming off her victory over Elina Nelson at Invicta FC 2 this past July when she was slated to return to the company Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., against Elaina Maxwell.

Unfortunately Maxwell was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced with Danielle West just days before the event.

“I just stay the course,” said Budd of her fight prep. “I found a week out, but I was prepared for everything, so we said yes right away.

“Danielle is kind of a grinder and likes to go to the ground, whereas Elaina was a southpaw San Shou fighter, so it’s a difference, but I trained for a long time and worked on my wrestling a lot, so I’m ready to go.”

While West is less experienced than Maxwell, Budd is not going to fall into the trap of taking her lightly.

“I never underestimate anyone because I’ve been underestimated a lot in my career,” Budd told MMAWeekly.com. “So I know how not to underestimate people.

“I’ve watched her and studied (West) a lot. She also fought Elaina Nelson, and I’ve watched that fight a lot and others and I think I can definitely showcase my athleticism, striking and wrestling (against her) and take the fight where I want it, but I’m not underestimating her.”

With Strikeforce’s attention focused on the 135-pound division, it appears that Budd’s future at 145 pounds goes hand in hand with Invicta.

According to Budd, staying at 145 pounds is fine with her and she hopes to be able to contend for a title as Invicta grows and establishes championships in various weight classes.

“They’re planning on doing a title in each division – that’s what they’re saying – and they’re planning on keeping the 145-pound division active and I’m just looking for another great performance Saturday night,” she said.

“I’m happy at 145 and that’s where I’ll stay at. I’m not going to cut to 135. I’m staying the rest of my career at 145.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Joe Rogan Asks UFC to Open Women's 145-Pound Division for Cris Cyborg | MMAWeekly.com

Joe Rogan isn't a fan of Cris Cyborg's difficult weight-cutting and wants the UFC to do something about it. read news >>

Alaska's Mitchell hoping to jolt Ultimate Fighter rivals

In a flyweight division that doesn’t have the amount of finishes other divisions do, Anchorage, Alaska's Terrence Mitchell is one of those people that can immediately provide a jolt as he enters seas read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

CM Punk invigorated by renewed Fight Week anticipation, excitement

By the time CM Punk decided to walk away from professional wrestling “making the walk” didn’t quite do it for him anymore. Just three days before he makes his first walk as an actual fighter, Punk is read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Andrade Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The strawweight division was put on notice after Jessica Andrade (15-5) dispatched Jessica Penne at UFC 199, and now the upper echelon is on red alert. Andrade walked through Joanne Calderwood (11-3) read news >>

UFC Fight Night 94 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Poirier vs. Johnson Card

The UFC lightweight division has a new title contender in Michael Johnson. It didn't take long for Johnson to show the world he means business in this division, knocking out Poirier after 95 seconds. read news >>

Goodbye Gridlock: UFC's Top 10 Middleweights All Fight in Next 2 Months

It’s hard to believe, but the UFC middleweight division has never really recovered from Anderson Silva losing his title back in 2013. Once a pillar of consistency during Silva’s near seven-year reign read news >>

Joe Rogan speaks out, asks UFC to open up women’s featherweight division for 'Cyborg'

Longtime UFC commentator Joe Rogan hates hard weight cuts, so watching Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino get to 140 pounds – officially 141 – had to be hard for him.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>