Julia Budd Invicta FCJust five fights into her professional MMA career, former kickboxing champion Julia “The Jewel” Budd has begun to put things together and now she feels like the next step of her career is right around the corner.

“I feel like I’m starting to get more comfortable in there and am starting to believe more in my skills as a wrestler, as a Muay Thai striker and am becoming an overall well-rounded mixed martial artist,” said Budd. “I’m way more comfortable and continue to understand the game more.”

Having alternated wins and losses so far, Budd was looking to win her first back-to-back fights coming off her victory over Elina Nelson at Invicta FC 2 this past July when she was slated to return to the company Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., against Elaina Maxwell.

Unfortunately Maxwell was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced with Danielle West just days before the event.

“I just stay the course,” said Budd of her fight prep. “I found a week out, but I was prepared for everything, so we said yes right away.

“Danielle is kind of a grinder and likes to go to the ground, whereas Elaina was a southpaw San Shou fighter, so it’s a difference, but I trained for a long time and worked on my wrestling a lot, so I’m ready to go.”

While West is less experienced than Maxwell, Budd is not going to fall into the trap of taking her lightly.

“I never underestimate anyone because I’ve been underestimated a lot in my career,” Budd told MMAWeekly.com. “So I know how not to underestimate people.

“I’ve watched her and studied (West) a lot. She also fought Elaina Nelson, and I’ve watched that fight a lot and others and I think I can definitely showcase my athleticism, striking and wrestling (against her) and take the fight where I want it, but I’m not underestimating her.”

With Strikeforce’s attention focused on the 135-pound division, it appears that Budd’s future at 145 pounds goes hand in hand with Invicta.

According to Budd, staying at 145 pounds is fine with her and she hopes to be able to contend for a title as Invicta grows and establishes championships in various weight classes.

“They’re planning on doing a title in each division – that’s what they’re saying – and they’re planning on keeping the 145-pound division active and I’m just looking for another great performance Saturday night,” she said.

“I’m happy at 145 and that’s where I’ll stay at. I’m not going to cut to 135. I’m staying the rest of my career at 145.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

The State of the UFC Flyweight Division

The flyweight division has the distinction of being the UFC's only weight class to have had just one champion. While this absence of parity can partly be attributed to the division's recent inception read news >>

Top free agent Aljamain Sterling not a 'guinea pig for a fighters union'

UFC bantamweight Aljamian Sterling can thank Sage Northcutt for making up his mind. Sterling told MMAjunkie Radio he might have taken a modest raise from his current pay. Then he saw Northcutt’s pay. read news >>

Video: UFC Fight Night 81’s Rob Font feels he practically cheated in UFC debut

BOSTON – UFC bantamweight Rob Font isn’t making a big deal about his knockout win over George Roop, so you shouldn’t either. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey and Tina Fey Making 'Do Nothing Bitches' Film?

Ronda Rousey may have endured quite the beating at the hands of Holly Holm at UFC 193, but Hollywood has never stopped treating her like a star. According to Deadline.com, a pitch has been made to Un read news >>

Cyborg Justino Closes Door on Making 135 Pounds, Keeps Door Open for Superfight

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, the Invicta featherweight world champion and one of the best fighters in women's MMA, has said she won't be able to cut down to the 135-pound limit for the women's bantamw read news >>

Amber Leibrock Making Most of Her Pro Move Heading into Invicta FC 15

Amber Leibrock's first pro victory was a big one, and she intends to follow it up with another impressive performance at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday night. read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

The State of the UFC Men's Bantamweight Division

These bantamweight dynasties—they don’t last forever. Just ask T.J. Dillashaw. On Sunday, it was Dominick Cruz bringing Dillashaw’s reign to a crashing halt after 20 months on top of the men’s 135-po read news >>

Back at 155, Sanchez Faces Miller at UFC 197

After a one-fight experiment in the featherweight division, Diego Sanchez will move back to 155 pounds on Saturday, March 5 when he faces Jim Miller in a UFC FIGHT PASS featured bout on the UFC 197 c read news >>

Former M-1 Challenge heavyweight champ Marcin Tybura signs deal with UFC

The UFC has a new addition to its heavyweight division in the form of an ex-M-1 Challenge champion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>